Cosy Club
Happiness score is 52 out of 100

Cosy Club Employee Reviews

United Kingdom102 reviews

clublovelybarkitchenstaffbusyshiftfood

Busy but short staffed alot

Pros cooking mostly from scratch some sauce and most dishes made in house ,it can go from quiet to crazy busy in 30mins , not very supportive, good food we serve in timely manner , very attention to detail ,long hours and often short staffed high pressure environment high volume cooking with a range dishes , kitchen is spilt in two 5 zones , small plates/fryers,deserts and prep and allergy zone which is fairly fast pasted,does need to be finish to very high standard and prefect . Mains/ breakfast which is oven and stoves you sometimes need to be an octopus as very faced paced , you have burger corner/salads/breakfast and burger friers alot preparation done outside service if and when possible which can be high volumegotta be quick and accurate, there someone on the pass doing final build and finishing touches there the key point with front of house ,then kp zone which does some basic prep and potash they encourage kp to learn new skills when service allows, menus changes twice a year ,but we can be running multiple menus two or three different party menus which can be anything from canapés to double size small plate dishes and party's can design there own depend on party size,they have high expectations you have to keep standards high

21 June 2022
Hello, cheers for this insightful review of what it's like to work in one of our kitchens. If you feel as though you are working too many hours then have this conversation with your Head Chef as the may be able to take steps to improve this. Or if you'd prefer to, you can email us at the People Team at thevoice@loungers.co. Thanks

Beautiful place

Absolutely Love the place , absolutely love people, everything and everyone is perfect! Great career progress! Can't wait for more to come! I can't recommend enough!

Insights into Cosy Club

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Appalling!

You will be expected to basically do everything from sitting guests and having a section because the company is too focused on earning money that they cut staff to the point where you're basically running the place on your own. Don't expect any help from most of the managers bar one or two. The rest spend their time either sat around doing nothing, going home early because they feel like it, or turning up late. One of them is basically never around and books every weekend off when you would think they should be there the most considering the position that they are in. You'll be talked/moaned about by managers for the smallest of things that inconvenience them to other members of the team. If a manager has an issue with you they will not talk to you about it and instead will give you 0 hours so you're forced to find a new job or treat you so poorly you want to quit. Unless you suck up to them to become a favourite there is no respect. It is like being in a school playground full of bullies. There is a serious lack of communication and indecent behaviour that it is the most toxic place that I have ever worked in. It grossly impacted my mental health and I will never work in hospitality again. Loungers as a company has some good ideas about how to treat staff all while running a successful business however, you do not have the correct management to implement this. It is a shame as it does have the potential to be a great place to work.

1 August 2022
Hello, thank you for leaving this review and for bringing some of things mentioned to our attention. We never want anybody working at one of our Cosy Clubs to feel the way described in your review. If you wanted to share more details so we can look into these claims, please email us at thevoice@loungers.co. Take care, People Team

The worst place I've ever worked

If you care about the industry and providing a good product, you should avoid loungers at all costs. It's just a fancier skinned weatherspoons.. cocktails are terrible, no training was given, the Plymouth site is terribly laid out with very little care for staff wellbeing

Pros

Food on shift

Cons

Area managers and CEOs don't know how to care for staff, happy to cut hours at a moment's notice, see staff as a resource with no care for promised hours, tips not fairly cut between staff, staff get money off food but not drink, cocktails are full of sugar 🤢

1 August 2022
Hi - thanks for leaving this review and for giving your insight into working at one of our Cosy Clubs. We absolutely care about the well-being of our teams! It would be good to have a better understanding of your time with us as tips should be shared equally and we do provide training to our bartenders, if this wasn't the case at your Cosy Club. please email us at thevoice@loungers.co. Thanks, People Team

Poor management and stressful environment

Busy nights could be overwhelming and could always be understaffed, managers are not supportive to the team. Staff food is also not guaranteed during your shift, and the food you get is awful

24 May 2022
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave us this review. We understand that busy night in hospitality can be stressful so am sorry that this may have been exasperated by you not feeling supported by the rest of your management team. Additionally, we are committed to providing staff meals to every team member on every shift from a set menu. If you felt that this was not the case at your Cosy Club it would be really helpful to have more information so we're able to look into this for you. Please email us at thevoice@loungers.co! Thanks, People Team

Very poor management. Needs more organisation

Poor Management. Using staff when needed and then getting rid off without any progress review meeting. No training provided. Managers was promissing to support no support was actually given,. No bonuss paid for busy pick time over the Christmas period.staff is working crazy hours. Always called in to work on your days.Would not suggest anyone to work at this place.

Pros

Free staff food

Cons

Only promises

24 May 2022
Hello, thank you for leaving this review. We're sorry to hear that you didn't feel supported in your role and that maybe training wasn't as robust as it needed to be. We have a range of training and development tools available at all levels, but we understand that during busy periods these may not be as easy to access as we would like. In reference to one of your other points, we have brought in a set of commitments which include a lot around work life balance. One of the major aspects is respect for your time off- meaning that you will not be contacted on your days away from the business. I can see you're no longer with us at Cosy Club so I wish you all the best in your next role. Take care, People Team

Wouldn’t let me succeed any further

I never applied to be a food runner but they took advantage of me as I was new to hospitality and a week into the job they asked if I liked food running and I said yes not thinking I’d be stuck doing that. Everytime I asked if I could switch to waitressing the same manger who knew I could manage a section kept saying no as i didn’t drive at the time, even though I knew another member of staff who didn’t drive but was allowed to wait tables. The mangers and GmS didn’t care when I asked for help or didn’t care for my well being. I had many ten minute breaks on a split shift eating a sandwich in a cupboard.

24 May 2022
Hi there, thanks for leaving this review. I understand that you're disappointed with how task allocation was managed at your Cosy Club. It is important to us that each team member is assigned a suitable role for their skill set and we're sorry that you felt that your role was given to you unfairly. The comments surrounding your breaks are concerning to us as it is stipulated that every team member has a paid break for shifts over 6 hours (and 2 for shifts over 9hours). It would be really helpful if you could email me at thevoice@loungers.co with some more details so we're able to look into these claims.Take care, People Team

Working progress

Amazing site but staff issues in kitchen mean can be quite hostile at times to servers and members of public. Higher management are nice and visit regularly so loads of support.

Pros

Meet new people

Cons

Cold free food, and aggression from chefs

The management is absolutely terrible

a fast paced, really busy work environment and long working hoursPoor management, would cancel your shift few hours before and sometimes give you long working hours, do not feel supported from the managerfriendly people around, coworkers are all very lovely people.

Pros

working environment, staff

Cons

Long hours, management

Exciting and sociable

My experience with Cosy Club has been excellent. The management have been awesome and super empathetic, often working around my university timetable. I feel really supported where I work, and the bar manager goes above and beyond to train and brief us in his spare time. He really invests in us as people and we work better as a team because of it. My coworkers are all very lovely people.There's a good balance between banter and work, and I often leave shifts feeling happier than when I walked in. Whilst the hours can sometimes be intense, the stellar team I work with make it worth it.Management are awesome and honestly care more about your *stunning* personality than your work experience, because you can easily be trained on everything else. Managers also put effort into organising staff parties and outings, which has been really useful for getting to know people better. Throughout my time at Cosy Club I feel like I've learned loads and made work friends for life, every shift is different and there's rarely a dull or boring moment.

Great management FOH and BOH

Worked here for sometime now, the GM is great and the HC. Lively staff and company and generally just a great Atmosphere. Of course its busy but that's great in these times.

Disorganised and poor management with added time pressures. Managers lack an ability to bring team together.

Management disorgansied and lacked a team spirit. Task were under time pressure and front of house staff were expected to deal with constant criticism. Often when customers were complaining it was down to the front of house staff to deal within with little support from managers.

Pros

You get a meal

Cons

Long hours, disorganised and chaotic

They say paid breaks I worked there for over two years and never got paid a single break!

They say work life balance until about 1 week in we’re you have to work twice as much with half the staff. Don’t get me started on the covid policies cause there a joke, they would rather stay open and make money then protect staff and customers so wouldn’t bother.

Cons

Long hours No work life balance No perks

Fast pace & long hours

It was a fast paced, really busy work environment and the working hours is quite longpoor management always change the swifts just a day before friendly people around

Pros

the staffs were nice

Cons

Stressful and no life outside of work

Was treated badly, made to take breaks way too early into shift, no life out of work, no respect and expected to do a million things at once, despite everyone's wages going up I was left underpaid for 6+ months

Pros

Free lunch occasionally Uniform allowance

Cons

Long hours, no life

Fine

Nice building. Lovely team. Helped out during the covid pandemic with furlough pay. New menu on reopening is very nice, training given was really good.

Great place to work The management are useless went to them with problems they did nothing.Got treated like rubbishHad to find another job to cover the hours I had lost due to them not helping me get home on a late shift which is what they agreed to.They didn't tell me it was a zero hour contract.

Pros

Free food Nice people

Cons

Long hours Management are useless

Managed poorly from high up

Upper management cause far more problems than is reasonable to expect from such a large company. Too much pressure put upon hourly team members to keep things running.

Pros

Great team

Cons

Bad management Unreasonable expectations

Take everything, give nothing is their motto

I really enjoyed working with Cosy to begin with but it spiralled downhill pretty quick in the end. I worked as a HC for 3 yrs but spent less than a year at my own site. I would cover sites up & down the country, fill in for ops chefs, menu roll out training etc but when I wanted a more stable & permanent position it soon unravelled. They where happy for me to live out of a suitcase for 18+ months but as soon as I wanted something I was brushed a side. The general teams are mostly great & you'll make some friends for life but a lot of the management are kids with keys & have no real experience so the restaurants are run with an all or nothing mentality & poor organisation. BOH pay is decent but mainly due to help reduce the amount of leavers they would throw money at you. There's a lot of chefs in senior roles that quite frankly have no business doing what they're doing, again this is a retainer tactic to keep chefs from leaving.

Pros

Friendly Staff

Sociable and Fast paced

Everyone at Cosy Club is wonderful generally and super lovely. Only con is the late hours and difficulty balancing work with other stuff. But the free food, excellent discount and lounge fest are all great. Just wish it was slightly more flexible.

Pros

Free food, 50% discount, wonderful management

Cons

Late hours, long hours, workplace politics

Fun to work at until you need management.

By far, Cosy Club has been one of the best places I've ever worked at. I get along with everyone and have made some great friends from there! I'd say this is the best bit of the job - how sociable it is. All associates are fun to work with and then comes in management. I'm not sure if management is just winging it or actually reads contracts etc. Some shifts, I'm not allowed to go on break or have food, even though I'm contractually entitled to it. They clearly have their favourites and treat everyone differently when it comes to rotas, breaks, duties etc. If you request more hours, they'll give you less and say "it's been quiet". If you request less hours, they'll give you more and say "it's very busy". I don't think they communicate with their staff enough about the rotas situation which leads to part-timers doing full time hours and full-times doing part time hours.

Pros

Fun, Sociable, Free meals

Cons

Long hours, No breaks, Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cosy Club. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement