Work wellbeing score is 65 out of 100

Cote Restaurants Employee Reviews

United Kingdom273 reviews

commisrotawaiterrestaurantfoodchefwineguest

Great to start, but terrible to finish

Few benefits make it worthwile working for them, but that's about it.Lately, it was all about their numbers and nothing about the people. Cutting on everything, from portion sizes, to consumables and mostly labour. Most of the times left running the shift with minimal staff, then taking the blame for complaints about waiting times and unhappy customers. Senior management and ops are a big disappointment and would talk to you only to pass massages about budgets, targets, bullying you about "high" labour, but not once acknowledgeding the effort and hard work put in the business. Only had certain people who they would praise all the time. No recognition and slow development. Training lately non existent, lots of last minute changes that were not backed up by the relevant resources.

Official response from Cote Restaurants

20 November 2023
Good Evening, Firstly, thank you for taking the time to leave a company review. We take all comments on board, and I will ensure your feedback is shared with the wider teams. If you are willing to chat about your experience in more detail, please pop me an email at chris.day@cote.co.uk, and I will arrange a more in-depth chat. Thanks again, Chris Senior Talent Attraction Manager Cote Restaurants

Well-paid but fast-paced and stressful

The best thing about this job is the salary, you'll have a good service charge depending on how busy are the shifts you are working. Also, you'll be paid every 2 weeks.But the bad side is that it's always either busy or busier or busiest, regardless of the day of the week! You have to run all the time, except for 3pm ~ 6pm, when it's quiet you can do your job relaxingly.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Busy shifts

Insights into Cote Restaurants

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Fun and friendly

Really nice place to work, the staff are incredibly welcoming and quickly become friends. Lots of team work, no complaints. Pay is excellent with service charge added

Some managers worked relentlessly while others not. Work culture are sometimes very high but at the same time, can be very low

Management can either be very helpful or very uninterested, depending on who was on shift. Staff weren't protected from unruly guests, and if a guest complains about any small thing, they were instantly rewarded, which was beyond frustrating as it meant that our work wasn't valued enough. We didn't work as a team because there was no incentive or bonding activities that allowed us to get to know each other. That being said, most of the staff are absolutely impeccable.

Pros

Staff, free staff meal

Cons

short breaks, lazy management

Difficult

Very difficult management team, extremely inconsistent and unsupportive. I found the first 8 months working at cote to be amazing. However, with a change of management it took a turn for the worst, no one listening to you, being constantly told you are not good enough, being caught in the middle of multiple management members constantly arguing. Unprofessional environment. Do not recommend.

Awful

Over worked and underpaid, rude aggressive managers and the company used to take the tips and make us pay for miniscule portions as staff lunch. Spent more money than I earned.

Structured and fun workplace

Great team atmosphere and not too serious, hard work at busy times but supportive managers always deal with any issues that may occur and provide good training- apply!

Toxic brutal place

Back stabbing, controlling and manipulative management, work long hours and expected to come in for meetings on your days off. Wouldn’t recommend, pay was good though.

Classy fun workplace

Great company to work for with a family-like community. Training and support is fantastic compared to other companies in the industry. Fair pay and lovely customers.

Great work mates poor hours and money

The best thing about working here were the other staff members who all worked extremely hard. however pay was very poor and shifts were extremely long. I often had to work shifts from 7am till 1am.

Hired me for a waiter role and making me work as a commis

Worst place ever to work. They hire you for a role and they make us work for a different role. No training provided so far. Waiters and managers take all the tips and you won't even get 10% of the tips. They need machines not people. Poor management. No promised hours. When we are a full time staff and wouldn't even receive a part time hours. Never recommended. Always overstaffed. Staff food provided there is also not free. They are deducted from our tronc directly.

Pros

Friendly colleagues

Cons

Everything literally..

Organised at times

The company and restaurants are organised in certain aspects. However there is no control over the bookings and we find ourselves regularly understaffed and overworked, with too many guests arriving at once. There’s also a lot of focus constantly on reviews and drink sales. However, I feel like there is not enough praise only negatives. All staff seem extremely stressed even when it’s not busy and I’ve witnessed multiple members of the staff having breakdowns whilst on shift. Managers need training on how to talk with their staff in a correct manner, i’ve witnessed multiple members of staff being verbally abused and spoken to in disgusting ways. It may be time to rethink the service charge system as well, because staff should not have to rely on how much trade there is for a decent pay-check. Limit also the drinks menu, if there is not a permanent bartending position, why should the waiting staff have to know and make multiple different drinks, whilst also being expected to look after their guests.However, it does feel like you are one big family and people do care for each other!

Pros

Chance of progression

Cons

To much input from external parties

Horrible

- The managers overwork everybody, they don’t even give you a break if you work 8 hours. - The chefs throw chips at commi waiters. - I called in sick once and they told me I still had to come in even though I was ill. - They give do treat you nicely if you go in for a meal outside of work.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

No breaks, overworked and rude colleagues

Great company to work for

Great training before starting on your site, everyone really helpful and probably one of the best pay in the market. Team work, support and life balance you can get it there.

Pros

Good life balance, good pay

Hardwork but good training

Hardwork that asks long hours but in return you get really good training that sets you up well for future careers in hospitality. Lots of training on understanding wine and food pairings in particular.

You will keep fit

Good company to work for. Long shifts, not great work- life balanceVery good discounts, staff foodOk managementGood winesYou will learn few expressions in french

Good training and people

Good place to work , very busy at times so good if you like to be kept busy. Free meals on shift. Great staff to work with although management could be abit difficult at times.

Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!

Poorly run, management is a disgrace, very rude, very blunt not very reassuring, only care about making money for the business and not the staff themselves. Feels very hot and cold with them. Breaks are a no go, very few, expected to go for 8 hours without time to have something to eat or a rest. Would not recommend working for this company at all.

Pros

Free food

Cons

A whole heap of them.

Can be fun with the right people

I work in a cote sometimes feels unorganised. Let me stress that’s just working at my building I can’t say the same for all the cote restaurant Let me give you an example. It is tough for everyone at the moment, high bills, more stress, less hours and less pay then you have a Head Chef ? Who takes all the hours, then you are left with someone offering you 35 hours a week can’t really pay bills with those hours with that type of hours. sometimes you can actually say that it’s justified, but when the restaurant seems to be getting quieter and quieter and your Head Chef is doing questionable things that you know are you not right its basically sabotaging the restaurant and himself at the same time. He’s sabotaging you know because there are no hours because the restaurant is getting quieter and quieter. It’s sad to watch the standards slip. It’s a real shame don’t get me wrong. The company is great to work for but put the wrong people in charge. It can be a bad environment to work in and I don’t wanna say too much, cause some of these things border on personal issues, but my experience has not been pleasant and especially if you are suffering from mental health. This environment is probably not the best place for you. They do not have a real structure to help and protect employees so if you are in the wrong environment it can be traumatic experience I wish I had something good to say, but a lot needs to be improved in the company and within houses. I think they know some of the issues you can see some improvements but they still have a lot to figure out so be prepared for management -

Pros

Food on your brakes

Cons

Cut your hours with no real notice. zero hour contracts bad hours poor management in the kitchen

They do not respond to technical problems of the institution

They do not respond to technical problems of the institution. Staff is constantly changing. Lately my section has been like a swimming pool. A lot of water was pouring out of nowhere and no one could do anything. So I had to leave there.

Stressful and Degrading managers

I’ve never felt more belittled and hated than when I worked here. There is no such thing as positive reinforcement at cote, you get humiliated frequently. Customers are often rude but that’s not really the company’s fault. You work ridiculous hours. Whether your days off get approved or not depends on whether the managers like you. Favouritism runs rampant here, expect to hate your life if you’re not the managers top picks. On the bright side, the standards are extremely high, and the fear of being publicly humiliated for your mistakes pushes you to improve, whether the management team acknowledges it or not. I’ve become a great waitperson because of my time at cote, and currently work at another restaurant that pays the same and care deeply for both customers and staff. If you look you’ll find a company that actually care for you, don’t settle for less.

Pros

Fair pay, free meal, extremely high standards

Cons

Horrible social environment, long shifts, stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cote Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement