Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs

Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs Employee Reviews for Kennel Assistant

Kennel Assistant4 reviews

2.3Job security & advancement

I wouldn't

I spent about a year here, and while the staff members are wonderful and the whole operation does feel like your working with family, the management is horrific. Every staff meeting (once a month), we'd ask for specific changes (having more information on room cards from reception, to please stop accepting un-vaccinated dogs and throwing them in Iso, please make changes to the cattery), and every month, nothing would change. The Owner/Manager would change up the routine so often it was impossible to keep track, but wouldn't listen when you said this and would expect you to stick to it. They made kennel hands run shifts, with little-to-no training, and no extra pay. I left after I was put on a shift as a team leader, with no training nor pay rise, and left understaffed (which, given we're working with potentially dangerous animals, is against government legislation). When we finished over an hour late, I informed my manager, who then proceeded to ignore my messages and talk about me behind my back to other staff.Multiple of the staff had health issues that required immediate and complete rest while I was there, to which the higher ups essentially went 'figure it out yourself then' when we ask about taking them off the rota.Not to mention, we're given the tiniest carpark and expected to fit upward of 8 cars in it, but have to avoid blocking two gates AND get told off for parking outside the boundaries of it, but are given no other option for parking given that the road outside is the 505.Through all of this, I must admit I do still miss working with the team there quite often, -

Pros

Some of the staff, lots of dogs to cuddle and play with

Cons

Unpaid overtime, managers don't listen, talk behind staffs back, refuse to implement changes staff ask for because they think they know best

Draining place to work

Overall I was so excited to work there as I worked at a kennels previously. My experience was very different. The owners don't want to take any advice on improving the state of the kennels or cattery and were much more invested in their cafe at the front of the site. While I was there on 2 occasions dogs got out due to poor fencing (not high or secure enough). The cattery during the summer is like a sweat box! After I left after 6 months I was told a cat died of heat exhaustion. During the winter it would leak as the roof isn't properly maintained (baring in mind there is electrics within the cattery). I would never suggest anyone to work here unless you want to be belittled and made to feel like your not good enough.

Pros

Dogs & cats

Cons

Too many to state.

Official response from Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs

25 June 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed you feel this way. Unfortunately, some of the statements you state are factually incorrect but this is not the place to discuss such issues.

Insights into Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Time and location flexibility

Poorly treated staff

Pay is not reflected for the amount of work you're expected to do, kennel staff are treated so poorly to the point their mental health is in ruins. Great for a summer job but no career/staff support or progression here. Great facilities but under the wrong management/owners.

Pros

dogs

Cons

poor pay and treatment

Fun and physical

Working with animals is my dream job and having the oppertunity to work with dogs and cats for so long was a great experience to have and to learn different things.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Very tiring

Jobs at Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs