Countrywide

United Kingdom221 reviews

Insights into Countrywide

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Hard Work

Office Staff in the main were a good dedicated bunch (far better than Company deserved) low morale and poor basic wage and long days including Sat. High pressure sales targets. Constant meetings dressed up as training but in reality a pat on the back for City centre Branches and a Bollocking for the rest. Micro managing from Head Office. Targets were same for local Branches as the busier Glasgow offices, no chance of winning incentive bonuses. All Estate Agencies are similar hard graft. Better off working for Solicitor with EA department.

Pros

Cons

Long Hours, poor basic pay, Head Office to demanding, wont let you get on with the job.

Suffocating workplace environment. Picked on and decision making was derided.

Worked at Countrywide in Annesley, Nottinghamshire as a property manager, dealing with inbound tenant and landlord queries, liaising with estate agents and tradesmen to action repairs etc. First few weeks were OK when shadowing a colleague I was taking over from. After that you are expected to deal with everything yourself and I found that tough. My confidence took a battering when I was called out by management in front of the office for being too empathetic with an inbound call from a tenant (What I was doing well I was doing too well?) What I did not do well was met with open exasperation and was made to feel stupid. I'd like to say that was unintentional on the behalf of the manager who done this however, I seen several instances of fellow colleagues being belittled publicly. Mental health of several colleagues suffered due to the heavy workload and of the 20 people I worked with 8 have left. To be replaced by 5... There was hope when Connells acquired the Countrywide brand that conditions would improve with their experience and knowledge to filter down but this has not happened and instead they have renamed the job role and stripped the necessity to study for industry qualifications rendering you unqualified on paper to join another company in the same field. Something I probably would not do as I now work a stress free blue collar role paying five grand a year more with less hours. I miss my wonderful colleagues from there and that's the best I can say about working there. If you want poor wages and a stressful unrewarding career sign up now, I hear there is always -

Pros

The drive home.

Cons

Wages are national minimum, Workload structure is not set out and you're not assisted in organising it.

Toxic Work Environment

There is not a low enough number for the way in which I would rate Countrywide as a company. This companies toxicity begins from the top and infects all those whom are senseless enough to continue working for them. The management have no consideration for the staff and their welfare, from the heavy work load which is thrown onto them instantly to the lack of consideration for individuals mental health/health issues. Working in house at Countrywide is one of the most horrific environments I have been situated in, the atmosphere and poor attitude from the management is reflected on the staffs lack of motivation within the office. The workload to wage ratio is appalling for the amount of work which you are expected to carry out for such little money. Overall, an extremely poor company to work for. Avoid at all cost.

Pros

Leaving the company.

Cons

Everything.

Underpaid not sure how anybody survives working on their wages? no work life balance, no progression

Awful from start to finish started on a 14,000 wage at 24!!! Was told 23k would be achieved which it never was. Went up to 17k PA just because it had too. Rubbish commission scheme other people slacking and still benefiting from commission, the list goes on and on

Pros

Breaking the day up doing viewings

Cons

Worst pay ever

Good overall all however work life balance is tough to maintainBasic salary is below minimum wage and topped up with commission. Not a bad company .

Pros

Birthdays off

Cons

Work life balance

Stressful environment

Toxic environmentDictatorshipPoor leadershipStressed and frustrated workersLow wages for work expectedBullying is rife It great if you are a favourite as you get your own rules

Pros

Cons

Toxic environment, no progression, favouritism, gossip

Great company

Upper management really recognise the hard work that the branches put in and you are rewarded not only with commission structure, but also with a clear progression path.

Great career opportunities

Despite other reviews, over the last 6.5 years I have found the management very supportive and the company offers an excellent level of training and progressional opportunities. The hours are standard (37.5) and commission is uncapped, which is excellent!

Pros

Good commission, free use of services such as financial advise, reduction in solicitor fees etc. social events with the team

Cons

Lower basic salary offered than competitors but higher earning potential with commission

Toxic working environment

Awful awful company. The toxic working environment is similar to that of an abusive relationship. The management are nothing but bullies sitting on massive salaries benefiting from the real workers who earn pennies. Conference calls most days, micro management and poor wages.

Pros

Cons

Listed above

Headless chickens trying to run a hen coop

I worked for Countrywide Property management in North Midlands until very recently and can honestly say it was an awful experience. The management are unprofessional, have no leadership qualities, lack empathy or compassion.Favouritism is rifeConfidentiality is non existentVery poor leadership who are unable to offer directionNo thanks or credit for hard work

Pros

A good bunch of non managerial colleagues

Cons

Middle and Senior Management

Poor company

Would not recommend to anyone. They don't support you as a employee and treat you like dirt.Don't do the revelant checks, like DBS.HSE would have a field day.

Toxic environment

Toxic bullying environment. Management enjoys gossiping about others. Incredibly high staff turnover with roles not being filled once people have left. The job itself could be good, but management have let this down. Management needs intensive training on how to speak to other humans

Long Hours, Poor Wages

Lovely staff within the branch, But nothing is good enough pushing for more from higher up. The hours are very long and draining doesn’t give you a work life balance 6 day weeks some weeks which can be very tiring and the wages are very poor for the long hours you work. deductions when you leave making it pointless for you to even work a notice as they take 700+ from your work for no valid reasons.I wouldn’t recommend working here as it’s not good for your lifestyle & definitely wouldn’t make you happy within yourself. All work no Time to yourself pretty poor

Pros

2 full weekends off a month

Cons

Long Hours, Low Pay, deductions, Covid

Unsatisfactory as a company

Promises after promises that we would get more staff, other members of staff pick on agency staff to much. If your face doesn't fit then your in for a bad start. Some carers just don't care about residents. Management,down to senior management, just let the home sink.

Pros

Free uniform

Cons

Meet some lovely residents and afew staff

Horrible place to work

Absolutely horrible place to work. My only enjoyable time there was my 2 weeks training and that was, at best, disjointed. Management in Business Support are utterly terrible. Avoid at all costs, especially if you are a parent. Pay is horrendous

Pros

Non

Cons

The whole business

Good training, work overly target orientated

Good company to start out with as good basic training , depending on branch opportunity to get worthwhile insight into estate agency, can then move on

Pros

Initial training

Cons

Overly target oriented - to push towards Countrywide services even when not best option

Underpaid and undervalued.

I worked for this company for almost a year. I was very excited to get into the property field as it was always something I wanted to be involved in. At the beginning of the job role there was poor online training with members of staff just using you to do jobs they did not want to do. The longer I worked at the company the more I realised how under paid and under valued I was at the company. There was no praise just pointing out the negatives. Even when you go above and beyond and put your free time into helping the branch there is never any appreciation. Area manager was obsessed with calls a week rather than good feedback or lets. I would avoid this large corporate.

Pros

Other staff

Cons

underpaid, undervalued, stressful, no job security.

Not at all

Awful place to work. Top dogs have no ideas about work at office level. No support , just demands demands demands demands, no lunch breaks , expectations of working above and beyond with no thasnks

Awful place to work

Horrendously overworked, underpaid and unappreciated place to work. Management are out of touch with the real world. Pay is horrendous. All the big bosses wnat is more work for very little money.

Pros

Cons

many

Terrible Middle Management

i wouldn't want my worst enemy to work for this company.Treat staff appallingly especially through the pandemic. Luckily my new employer is a lot more understanding.

Pros

You Can Leave

Cons

The Whole Job

Toxic, bullying culture

I enjoyed working at Countrywide for the first few months until I noticed some toxic behaviours. This soon turned into bullying and harassment which made my work extremely hard as I struggled to focus on my duties. Management disregard all complaints unless it concerns one of their favoured employees. Myself and my team mates had to go off sick due to mental stress caused by this toxic environment. I had a really negative experience here. The work load and expectations are high while the wages barely hit minimum. If all this wasn’t enough, the clients take great pleasure in verbally abusing you and threatening to kill you.

Pros

Cons

Management, workload, salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countrywide. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7

2.6Job security/advancement
  • Countrywide
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?