Coventry Building Society logo
Coventry Building Society

Coventry Building Society Employee Reviews

Great pay and learning opportunities, not much flexibility.

You must be prepared to cover other branches as this will be required of you even if you do not hold a licence. (I had to catch two separate buses to cover another branch). In smaller branches he opportunities are minimal, but at head office in Coventry the opportunities are vast and exciting. Great money, great bonuses. Members make the big decisions though and the company apologise for anything. Also don't work there if you have visible tattoos as you are not allowed them on show-this is tough when it's hot weather as the uniform is pretty warm. No bright hair colours or fancy nails either -branch dependant.Over all, not a bad place, but was not for me.

Pros

Sundays off and decent pay

Cons

Can't do anything crazy with your appearance, slim flexibility.

Engaging and fast pasted work

I work in the Direct Mortgages contact centre. The department is driven on personal growth and learning. Lots to learn about mortgages and colleagues are great. Real sense of team and family.

Pros

Wellbeing, shift allowance

Cons

Shifted hours but paid for this.

Fast paced, busy call centre, with lots of opportunity

The Coventry is a great company to work for with good development opportunities and supportive managers to help you progress. In-depth training for the role is provided, and a buddy-system is offered for support. The people are friendly & approachable and there’s a good team spirit, making you feel welcomed and supported. There is a good accreditation scheme, allowing you to progress through the different levels of the role quickly, with lots of opportunity for a pay rise. The role involves answering incoming calls to support customers with their mortgage queries, completing affordability assessments and completing applications for Buy To Let customers. This is a good role for someone looking to start their career at The Coventry with the aim to progress up the ladder, or someone looking for a past faced role without sales targets.

Pros

Friendly staff, good accreditation scheme.

Cons

Shifted work

Call centre work, and they don’t show you how to use the phones?

Having never worried in a call centre, I was excited to start at CBS in Direct Mortgages. The interview was exciting, they were everything I wanted from a employer. Corporate induction inspiring. The building was impressive, they said the training was 4 weeks. It was actually 2 weeks of very casual training. I went into the call centre and given a headset and told to answer calls, I couldn’t even use the phone system. They never showed us that. There was no shadowing, no one to follow- just learn as you go and make mistakes. In my opinion that is just poor experience for the customer and stressful for the new employee. I was so disappointed. My dream of a new career and scope to progress just seemed to die within 2 days. My requests for support were answered with that’s not what we do. So I left. Bad customer experience is not what I do. Help me to do the basics of the job and I would have been an asset to your company. I have so much drive. It was sucked out of me.

Pros

Inspiring higher management

Cons

Not supportive of new employees

Working in the contact centre you’re just a number

Very low pay with false promises of earning potentials. So much is expected of you and new training and new elements added on - no extra pay. Management only care about themselves, the work is monotonous and you’re treated like you’re in big brother. Hidden targets yet the advertise No targets role. They’re trying to sell a dream in the interviews as the turn over of staff is SO high.

Poor pay and long 6 days working

Poor pay and long 6 days working due to having to work overtime on a Saturday. Older staff were treated better and got special treatment compared to new ones. Poor management and poor training opportunities.

Awful place

If you apply for a job in the call centre be prepared to get no further unless your face fits! Management have poor under standing of mental health issues and are only out for themselves. If you are in the “boys club” you can expect to get far. Boring and repetitive job with no light at the end of the tunnel and no other responsibilities other than answering the phone all day long! The good thing is you can work up the accreditation and end up with a good wage and the staff are lovely.

Pros

Free Fruit

Cons

Face fits environment

Productive and fun workplace

A typical day at work includes face-to-face interaction with customers dealing with their transactions and transfers. This job is fast-paced, fun and you always have something to do. The hardest part of the job is having to learn the information that comes with the job so that you give the right levels of customer service.

Can be demanding at times but not target driven which is a plus.

Not very good if you have any pre existing illnesses regarding time off. They terminated my employment after 5years of working there, because I was off with Anxiety and depression which was a road my manager had caused me to revisit !!! I also have Epilepsy and anytime off I had as a result of a seizure still counted towards the sickness Policy. They have a very strict policy.

Banking

Everything is time based regardless of problems and quality checks stopped pay rises. Management are do as I say not as I do. The hardest part of the job is phoning customers and asking security questions but customer only has your word that you are Coventry Building Society.

Jobs at Coventry Building Society

See more jobs

Warm and collaborative work environment

CBS in-branch work environment is warm and heavily centered around teamwork. We help each other out constantly throughout the working day. providing opinions on how to approach situations and dilemmas. You also build a great rapport with the customers of CBS. Often getting to know them on a first name basis. In some cases even knowing what the customer wants to do before they even tell you. All in all a nice place to work.

Good people, but stressful due to regular exams to complete

Regular exams were stressful particularly as they had no relation to the work I was doing. For example, a security officer would not know anything about money laundering.

Nice place to work

Was a great place to work. Parking for contractors is a challenge and if you want to park on the business park you need to be in for 8am. Also the business park emptys at 4pm

Ethical company

I enjoy working here. Very ethical company with a great HR team and also very customer focused at the the same time. Very family friendly too. I’ve had 2 children since being here and they have always tried to facilitate the best working hours for me on my return. Can’t fault them.

pretenchiouce , if you have a happy attitude and a scence of humour avid

false promises , wage is poor, unable to lough or have a joke , bang on about values and welfaire all false , a gteat deal of back stabbing by staff to gain points

Fun place to work

Nice, productive and relaxed place to work. Good atmosphere better team and lovely culture. With wonderful people. Smart working environment with limited car parking facilities

Great benefits just a strange culture

Tasks include servicing mortgage accounts, running affordability assessments, chasing up paperwork, liasing with underwriters and setting up calls with mortgage advisors. Pay and benefits are excellent as you get a generous shift allowance. The negatives of the role would be the culture and atmosphere in the office. The managers think they are superior and lord it over the other staff most of them come across as pretentious. Overall still a good place to work just needs improvements in certain areas.

Coventry Building Society

Demanding role providing mortgage brokers with illustrations. Rotating shifts between 8am & 6pm. Many departments within the company to be able to progress. Lower salary than similar job roles with other companies.

Coventry building society is an absolute pleasure to work with, the trainers and management are great , everybody is equal on their terms and the work is evenly paced. Theres something special about this company to which everyone smiles, There isn’t any bad days, great progression, amazing charity work and you feel like your a part of something

I love working they are all so friendly and hpful

I love working at coventry building sociaty there friendly hpful and if I need anything g I just ask they make me a drink when I need one and tell me that I do .y job properly and say they miss me when I go on holiday

Customer first mentality, but not the best environment

A decent place to work but the culture isn't the best. Very siloed. Offices are spread around the outskirts of Coventry. Flexibility in working arrangements is promoted by HR but the reality is that it can be difficult (dependent on team/department)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coventry Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8Job security/advancement