Coventry University
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

Coventry University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom197 reviews

universitystudentcolleagueroleskillmanageexperienceteaching

It was an insightful experience working with students and supporting them with school information.The management gave us training on how to provide valid information about the school.

Busy fast pace environment

Supportive boss, friendly colleagues, work quite varied but a lot of bureaucracy. HR department out of touch with mii oh fern work practices. Most enjoyable part of the job us helping students.

Insights into Coventry University

What people like
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energising work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility

A very good place to work

A place I can progress in my career. More specialist employees and the ability to learn from them. Pre-boarding and on boarding process are smooth. I was assigned a line manager and a mentor. My job descriptions are clear and achievable.

Fun place to study

People are amazing, you will make life long friends here and your never made to feel stupid or a dunce. There is a place for everyone at CU, good luck in your studies and life progression.

Pros

The friendships

Cons

somewhat disorganised cohort staff

Great culture at work, shame about WFH because going to the office is great, free lunches with trained chef, and good office culture and people are really nice and environment is friendly

It was highly pressurised

Did not enjoy my time there. Conflicting messages. Start times from HR for my first day was stated as 9am when in fact my Line Manager was expecting me at 830am. There were other conflicting messages regarding what was expected, so wasnt a good working experience. Will not be applying to work there in the future.

Good workplace

Enjoyed working at Coventry University as a temporary worker, found job on The Future Works. Good work colleagues and a good workplace. Many opportunities for permanent positions within the university.

Pros

Hour long lunch

Cons

Management can be strict with holidays

Student ambassador

It looks good on the CV, and you can get minimum wages. Some of the supervisor are nice, but some of them are not. Overall, it's a pretty good job in order to gain some experience

Was on until inexperienced manager started

Introduced shift work, started looking at stats and numbers which made no sense, the type of work was either reactive or planned works, pointless looking at stats.

Pros

Some experienced guys worked there

Cons

Some inexperienced managers worked there

Great colleagues!

Overall a good place to work but it depends on your school / department management. Limited progression opportunities and no transparency in performance management impact on pay. They advertise a pay spine but you can only progress halfway before being subject to impossible targets.

Pros

Free tea and coffee. Holidays (when you can book them) Great colleagues

Cons

Bureaucracy - lots of it! Impossible targets Limited progression and lack of transparency

A challenging place to work

Whilst a good place for students Coventry University doesn’t value its staff or treat them well. Progression within the university is difficult especially for academic staff. There is a sense that there are always better people outside the university to be brought in rather than valuing and developing its committed and hard working staff.

Pros

Good, hard working and committed colleagues

Cons

Lack of encouragement and career progression. Little understanding of staff personal circumstances.

Good job to have

Pretty good place to work as the name holds weight. It's a busy environment but the job is pretty structured and everyday is similar, nothing really complex.

Good place to gain work experience

Fun place to work great team and a great place to gain work experience very supportive culture. Fast paced environment before Covid 19 but sadly was an unsustainable position.

Too hard for a minimum wage job

Work you to the ground with no pay rises ever. Toxic work environment.Mismanagement, unrealistic expectations to get the job done. I didn't have a positive experience. No work life balance and lack of support from management.

Cons

Long hours, will be compelled to work on weekends

Productive and life changing

This University is an excellent place to work for personal development and interesting projects. I was given the chance to work on prospectuses, email campaigns, online content, campaign tag lines, a professional photography studio, all kinds of fascinating projects. My only regret is my own health hampered me from fulfilling the role to the best of my ability. It was a real challenge, and I grew working here.

Pros

Interesting projects

Cons

Very fast paced

An enjoyable and challenging experience where I learned significantly.

If you have a leader it is challenging because more opportunities are released alleviate pressure. Many new subjects mastered due to undertaken lectures and seminar at short notice, learning valuable transferable skills. A number of lecturers were dismissed at with short notice having worked at the establishment for 4 years. This obviously give lecturing a sense of permanence.

Pros

A great diverse place for entertainment

Cons

lectures and demans at short notice

Stressful and discourages autonomy

Unfortunately, considering many of the roles are creative, autonomy is discouraged, and sometimes even criticised. The culture is very hierarchical; everything must go through your manager first. This wouldn't be such an issue if managers were encouraged to make managerial decisions but, alas, this is not the case. They instead have to go to their managers to request a decision. Essentially, middle management roles have become go-betweens. Work allocation is based on numbers, rather than complexity, capacity and a consideration of project delays. This has become more of an issue due to the impact of covid on education delivery. Each member of the team is working on 3-6 modules (one module = 12-weeks of content) at the same time, each with a 16-week deadline. Needless to say, work stress is no stranger to the team. Staff wellbeing is a priority, as long as it's only regarding working from home stresses, not workload.Despite all the horrors of working at CU Online, colleagues are supportive, friendly, and great to be around. The Managing Director of CU Online is also great. He takes feedback on board and actions it where possible. He has an 'open door' policy, whereby staff are encouraged to talk to him if they have concerns that their managers cannot resolve.Warning: the starting salary is likely to be the bottom of the range. You are unlikely rise above this salary due to the complex PDR process. Most colleagues have remained on the same salary for 3 years.

Pros

Colleagues, Managing Director, socials

Cons

Workload, management, PDR process

Breaking up the Staff, moving them out the the Commercial Arm

Breaking up the Staff, moving them out the the Commercial Arm. There is a drive to move all staff over to CUE ltd and work for the group. This gives you worse contract terms. Less holiday, worse pension, less sick leave. No Union. don't believe the hype they try to sell you.

Pros

Lower level management are good

Cons

Lack of clear vision, Poor University leadership team, self interest is apparent.

Friendly supportive team

The role was fast-paced and enjoyable with a very supportive manager, easy to talk to and always happy to explain the role and what was required to complete a task

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

Nice environment

Good team, but training should be better, very fast pacing job.Learned about new system mostly myself, a lot of temps working in the team, the hardest part of the jobs are calls to the students which do not leave correct phone numbers and difficult to get in touch.

Pros

city centre location

Cons

bad training, a lot of gossiping around

Bullying is regular - Manager is never around

Manager is always working from home. Bullying is regular if your face doesn't fit. People are passive agressive. When bullying does get reported the victim gets punished due to Management having a lack of spine.

Pros

You get most weekends off

Cons

Bullying is regular, hours are rubbish, People Team are useless.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coventry University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement