Coventry University

Coventry University Employee Reviews

Regimental nursery

To regimental for a nursery, lack of fun in the environment for the children, staff are under to much pressure. Not enough quality time spent with the children indoors

Pros

Student benefits

Cons

Poor communication skills within the team

Too hard for a minimum wage job

Work you to the ground with no pay rises ever. Toxic work environment.Mismanagement, unrealistic expectations to get the job done. I didn't have a positive experience. No work life balance and lack of support from management.

Cons

Long hours, will be compelled to work on weekends

Productive and life changing

This University is an excellent place to work for personal development and interesting projects. I was given the chance to work on prospectuses, email campaigns, online content, campaign tag lines, a professional photography studio, all kinds of fascinating projects. My only regret is my own health hampered me from fulfilling the role to the best of my ability. It was a real challenge, and I grew working here.

Pros

Interesting projects

Cons

Very fast paced

An enjoyable and challenging experience where I learned significantly.

If you have a leader it is challenging because more opportunities are released alleviate pressure. Many new subjects mastered due to undertaken lectures and seminar at short notice, learning valuable transferable skills. A number of lecturers were dismissed at with short notice having worked at the establishment for 4 years. This obviously give lecturing a sense of permanence.

Pros

A great diverse place for entertainment

Cons

lectures and demans at short notice

Stressful and discourages autonomy

Unfortunately, considering many of the roles are creative, autonomy is discouraged, and sometimes even criticised. The culture is very hierarchical; everything must go through your manager first. This wouldn't be such an issue if managers were encouraged to make managerial decisions but, alas, this is not the case. They instead have to go to their managers to request a decision. Essentially, middle management roles have become go-betweens. Work allocation is based on numbers, rather than complexity, capacity and a consideration of project delays. This has become more of an issue due to the impact of covid on education delivery. Each member of the team is working on 3-6 modules (one module = 12-weeks of content) at the same time, each with a 16-week deadline. Needless to say, work stress is no stranger to the team. Staff wellbeing is a priority, as long as it's only regarding working from home stresses, not workload.Despite all the horrors of working at CU Online, colleagues are supportive, friendly, and great to be around. The Managing Director of CU Online is also great. He takes feedback on board and actions it where possible. He has an 'open door' policy, whereby staff are encouraged to talk to him if they have concerns that their managers cannot resolve.Warning: the starting salary is likely to be the bottom of the range. You are unlikely rise above this salary due to the complex PDR process. Most colleagues have remained on the same salary for 3 years.

Pros

Colleagues, Managing Director, socials

Cons

Workload, management, PDR process

Breaking up the Staff, moving them out the the Commercial Arm

Breaking up the Staff, moving them out the the Commercial Arm. There is a drive to move all staff over to CUE ltd and work for the group. This gives you worse contract terms. Less holiday, worse pension, less sick leave. No Union. don't believe the hype they try to sell you.

Pros

Lower level management are good

Cons

Lack of clear vision, Poor University leadership team, self interest is apparent.

Friendly supportive team

The role was fast-paced and enjoyable with a very supportive manager, easy to talk to and always happy to explain the role and what was required to complete a task

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

Corrupt and pathetically low qualified frauds

All of the academic staff are completely unqualified and walk around calling themselves Professors and Associate Professors, etc. Everyone is constantly looking out for themselves, how they can do as little work as possible, and throwing everyone else around them under the bus to mask their own failures.

Bullying is regular - Manager is never around

Manager is always working from home. Bullying is regular if your face doesn't fit. People are passive agressive. When bullying does get reported the victim gets punished due to Management having a lack of spine.

Pros

You get most weekends off

Cons

Bullying is regular, hours are rubbish, People Team are useless.

Fun place to work

Management were supportive and friendly. It was very fast paced and the work is not easy but as it was a shared service there are always staff willing to help and advise.

Pros

Friendly team

Cons

No parking

Worst place to work

People Team (HR) is the worst team in Coventry University to work. Not sure about other departments but there's a high turnover and i reckon its the same story in all of the University.

Average employer

As with all big companies, money is a priority and this sometimes affects workplace experience. Sometimes felt undervalued and overworked, but good working atmosphere overall.

Fun work place

Very relaxed work environment where creativity is encouraged! Lovely colleagues that always love helping and feedback is always timely and helpful. Would definitely recommend the firm.

Recommended - nice people and good office environment. Good culture with lovely staff and balance between work and life. Nice working with students and helping them succeed.

French Teacher

An amazing frame to work; a beautiful team, you feel like you are part of a big family.

nice place to work

A nice place to work, I have enjoyed my time here. . The culture is friendly and there is a great, environment on campus. I have had several roles which has allowed me to develop, a range of transferable skills and solid experience of the Higher Education industry.

Coventry University

Good job to build for the future. Staff are very nice. Students and lecturers are very patient and are remarkable. Very professional company to work for.

Pros

It helps you build for the future

Cons

Progression is tough

Productive and Advance facilities

Good facility to conduct research with highly qualified scholars and professor The university provides 24-hour library service and workstation for student use.

Pros

Fast-paced and innovative

Cons

No cons as such

Best time Ever

My very first experience as a personal coach in the sports industry gave me a massive understanding of human needs and different kinds of personalities. Therefore I become passionate about business psychology in order to develop my knowledge about coaching, leading and inspiring people. From the beginning, I was trying to combine my passion with my personal work. In order to do so, I started to work as a business coach and university lecturer.

Productive and fun workplace

The workplace culture is most probably the best I've ever seen. Everyone treat the others with respect, regarding your background or any other thing..

Easy and Good Experience

This was an unpaid position and was good for experience but I wouldn't work there full time as they don't offer any full time or paid positions to students

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coventry University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement

Compare Coventry University with

Coventry University Reviews by Location

• Coventry University
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?