Craven College

• Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Was tasked to work in multiple sections of the business and was involved in process change in critical areas of the business. Was rewarded for proactive approach.

Care more about money than the staff

I worked as part of an admin team at the college and there was always an emphasis on saving money. The entire team worked in a small office with no windows and awful lighting that caused headaches and nausea. After months of complaining the best we could be offered was new lighting, which was only just better than the previous lighting. During my time at Craven College I saw a lot of staff come and go. Most of these were my managers, who came and went with such frequency that during a year and a half the position was filled by five different people. Each one came in with there own ideas on how to run the team, and each wanted to change every one of our process drastically. Unfortunately, this meant we often spent time learning a new process, only for it to be replaced soon after with another new process. Unrealistic expectations were also placed on me and my team which was made up of just three people (two of which, including the manager, were part time).

Pros

Two week Christmas holiday

Cons

Bad working conditions Bad management Unrealistic expectations Constantly changing management

Teaching Staff not valued

The change in senior management has seen teaching staff feel undervalued, comments towards staff being of an older age and the NEED to get the average age yield down inline with national average - showed a lack of value and respect for highly skilled , experienced and dedicated staff. Senior management seem intent on ticking boxes without truly engaging and experiencing life in a busy classroom. Comments showed a real lack of knowledge and were dismissive of the workload and the truly brilliant teaching staff … needless to say many have left and new staff don’t seem to be staying for long. It’s the students that really suffer in this lack of good management - at the end of the day they are the paying guests and want a good if not brilliant experience.

Pros

Fantastic colleagues

Cons

Dismissive and naive senior management ( not all but definitely one very high up ) !

Avoid

In crisis, overworked staff, lovely students and stunning setting but toxic is an understatement. High staff turnover and useless SLT. Due to crazy demands and constant restructuring many good people have walked away and are relieved to be employed in a healthier environment.

Pros

Setting is beautiful

Cons

Flaky management and unrealistic expectations, very low level of pay.

Great

A fabulous place to work and I'd definitely recommend it. Friendly coworkers and a great atmosphere. The students are respectful and eager to learn and it's just such a joy to be there. The swimming pool, park and Keelham Farm shop are right next to college too.

Pros

Free parking

Cons

Hourly paid for 2 years prior to contract offer

ok

many problems with management at this company. HR tend not to truly address problems with management, more sweep them under the carpet. The area is amazing as are the learners.

good

Mainly working to offer counselling to young people. I enjoyed my time well supported collaborative environment great team lots of training nice location, good rooms, great it systems, good IT and personal teams. I would work here again if a job became available. It is a great spot to work as they have a few sites and it is ideally located for town and good parking. induction and admin did take a long time to organise but no complaints. The hardest part of the the job was not having anywhere to sit a lot of the time, hot desking culture. My Manager was wonderful I felt challenged and supported. I learned about assessments, counselling process and administration safeguarding and risk management

Productive and fun workplace

Good place to work at with fun-filled people. Currently improving the company to a even better standard, with refurbishments. Enjoyed working with pro-active people

Former employee

Nice teaching staff in general. College declined in all aspects over recent years due to poor senior management decisions which have adversely affected students and staff. No involvement or transparency with regard to reactive decisions constantly being made. Horrendous blame culture by managment with little to zero integrity demonstrated. Teaching staff targeted and bullied in an extremely reactive environment. Little to no respect shown to teaching staff.

Great place to study

I enjoyed my time at Craven college very much. It was an awesome place to study and I learned a lot while being there. Most of the tutors and lecturers were great and I got on well with the majority of them.

Former employee

Poor communication amongst internal staff Poor senior and middle management, do not support staff Bullying tactics used by management Enrolment numbers declining for past 3 years Very unprofessional staff, which includes Senior Management

Pros

Cons

Not a nice place to work

Unfriendly College

Great staff in general not appreciated by the management, lots of decisions are based on financial values. Little humanity in the approach to staff or students.

Pros

Nice area

Cons

Backward looking.

college student

It was good there as a student and we have a lot of fun and learned a lot in the time i was there. I was working with lots of different charcaters of people.

craven college

I taught students various topic in performing arts from theatre in context to technical voice and singing. it was an encouraging place to work with developmental opportunities. It was satisfying to achieve such good standards of work with all levels of students with sometime difficult situations of limited facilities

Pros

near to home

Cons

no security

Exciting subject matter

Being able to deliver information to younger generations who wish to pursue an exciting industry is by far very rewarding and personally gives plenty of Scope for development.

Pros

Access to great connections in a very competitive industry

Cons

Teaching never stops, even during downtime

fantastic college

I did work experience here for 2 years in the animal department as a technician, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed my time thoroughly, and the technicians honestly care about all the animals in their care. As I was leaving the outside unit had been completed, and ensured that there was more space for the animals that require the outside for better enrichment.

Great team of people to work with

This brought huge job satisfaction in many ways. Helping young people to progress through life and obtain a dream job. Most enjoyable part of the job was being part of student success. The most challenging was the work life balance.

Lack of care and concern for staff

Support for staff is lacking. A few members hold departments together. No care for work / life balance. Some horribly toxic people allowed to ruin something good. Have many years of my teaching life to this establishment.

Pros

Great students

Cons

Thankless and fake.

Poor working environment

Poorly managed. No consideration for staff or work life balance. Toxic culture. Some great staff struggling to keep up with constant change and culture of blame

Pros

Great location

Productive & Professional

Craven college is one of the top best institutions I have ever studied at. the staff are friendly and the place is fantastic, I returned to work with craven college on a regular basis, they helped me launch my career and gave me opportunities that no body else ever has. I have worked with a lot of students on this site as well as free-lanced work with the photographers and models. They also gave me the opportunity to teach students in the academy and run my own workshops. I will be forever grateful to this college and its staff for their excellent standards and outstanding support to students and fellow employees.

Pros

Perfect

Cons

There is no Cons.

Dynamic and challenging

There is no typical day, you work closely with candidate and their managers to ensure the best delivery of the qualification. You answer questions from them both and help them to grow and develop their knowledge of care. I have had a steep learning curve on the preparing to work in adult social care and the diploma, however have enjoyed this as it challenged me. The managers are dedicated to deliver a high quality of training in the care industry, along with other areas too. The hardest part of my job would be keeping the candidate on target, however the most rewarding is seeing them complete, develop and grow within their roles.

Pros

Milage

Cons

No holiday pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Craven College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7