Crown Prosecution Service

Crown Prosecution Service Employee Reviews

United Kingdom78 reviews

courtinterestingcolleaguecaseroleofficeflexibleservice

Good place

I was here for work placement during my time at university and I thought it was a nice place. I would recommend anyone to work here if criminal law Prosecution is your thing

Pros

Diverse, good people

Cons

N/a

Very nice people

Decent place to work with very helpful colleagues and managers. However can get boring due to similar work every day. Would recommend if you like working on a screen all day.

Insights into Crown Prosecution Service

• Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Productive and fun workplace

Such a good company that actually cares for their staff members also there is so many opportunities here you can easily progress to the next level if you are focus

Amazing colleagues but please hire more staff

A couple of thingsThe Court managers I've encountered are amazing and colleagues are doing all they can but the CPS is severely understaffed.I feel so overworked yet i try to finish all my tasks on time even logging in after work hours to do so yet the work keeps coming, it actually feels so demotivating now. I'm not surprised so many are leaving

Pros

Flexi-time, Privilege days, Best colleagues and manager

Cons

Long Hours, Senior Management, Non existent career progression

Great workplace

Fantastic area to work in, very very interesting, good people and security, left to go back full time in motor trade, big mistake. If I had my chance over again I'd give anything to work for CPS

Pros

Interest in justice system

Cons

Qualifications and entry process to become a civil servant

Completely changed over the years and for the worse!

The CPS used to be an enjoyable place to work but over the years has gone downhill and has become an extremely stressful environment. There is no proper training.... Just handed lists of instructions which constantly change!Not enough people, they never seem to replace people that leave which adds even more stress and pressure on the ones that are left. Micromanagement from some of the managers..... would definitely NOT recommend working here!

Pros

Generous leave and flexi time.

Cons

No proper training, Micro management, not enough people

High pressure and very little support

Things have worsened since losing about half of our staff over the last 10 years. Very high pressure environment even in administrative roles. Constantly monitored and scrutinised with very little management support. Unrealistic targets put on each individual make it an exhausting environment. Positives are decent pay and lots of flexibility but this is contrasted with high sickness rate and poor work / life balance.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Unrealistic expectations and high pressure

Interesting but stressful

I had a heavy caseload and struggled to keep on top of the work despite working long hours. The organisation adapted to home working quite quickly and was supportive by issuing additional equipment on request. The work is interesting although emotionally draining at times.

Pros

Supportive colleagues

Cons

Interesting but full of politics

The people are great, the work can be interesting if your willing to put the effort in. As it's a government department you'll get frustrated at policies being changed just for the fun of it. The starting pay isn't bad for what you're actually doing but it will never go up by much and unless you're willing to travel the country promotions can be hard to come by.

Pros

Flexi time

Fast-paced and interesting.

I learnt a lot in a short space of time. Every day was different. Working in a highly professional and diverse team. Extremely enjoyable, would highly recommend.

Interesting, but fast paced, stressful, great colleagues

I worked for CPS for 18 years, would recommend them for a career. Only left due to chance In circumstances. I would happily go and work for them in the area I now live.

Pros

Reasonable pay, good amount of holidays. Flex time working. Extremely interesting.

Cons

Fast paced, stressfull

Fast paced but rewarding

i spent 25 years at the CPS and over that time worked on a large variety of cases, lately the more complex cases. it is fast paced, time limits/judge orders to comply with, but interesting at the same time, seeing cases from charge right through to conviction or acquittal.

Great Work Life Balance

At the Crown Prosecution Service, they ensure that their staff have a great work life balance. There is working from home, no core hours and a wide range of support policies to ensure that work life and home life marry.

Pros

Hours of work - working from home

Cons

Legal environment so be prepared to be exposed to all criminal acts

More reponsibility for less pay.

The Paralegal Assistant role has become a role between admin and a Paralegal Officer. You perform the same function as a Paralegal Officer along with administrative duties but for less pay and no opportunity to become a Paralegal Officer which is very frustrating.

Pros

Flexi-Time

Cons

Unable to take leave

A good secure workplace.

I worked at CPS for almost 41 yrs. I gained a lot of experience through my daily duties in the various roles I applied for. There are always challenges in every role and there is always plenty of opportunities to develop within the organisation.

Insufficient resources

As a court advocate, working in back to back courts, I often find myself working long evenings. The quality of the trial files are sometimes not up to the expected standard. There are no breaks during court, and the seating can sometimes be uncomfortable. The benefits are flexible working occasionally, and a decent pension.

N/a

Excellent organization and I would absolutely recommend working for this government department. Wonderful manager and co workers and great flexibility

Stessful

typical day - preparing court papers learned - new laws management - bullies workplace culture - stressful hardest part - dealing with vulnerable witnesses/victims enjoyable - securing convictions

Stable, Reputable job

Since starting with the service I have had great experiences in the office and at court. Management have been understanding and accommodating to my needs creating a healthy work life balance

Facilitating justice

I worked for the CPS for nine months on a fixed term contract, The people I worked with were professional, reliable and friendly. The work itself was challenging and I learned a lot about the world of work. I really enjoyed my time there.

Productive and fun workplace

Learnt how to work as a team and was able to contribute to the current task at hand. Very supportive colleagues who explain how to execute tasks efficiently and properly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Crown Prosecution Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Crown Prosecution Service with

Learn about Crown Prosecution Service in popular locations

• Crown Prosecution Service
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?