Crown Prosecution Service

Crown Prosecution Service Employee Reviews

I had a heavy caseload and struggled to keep on top of the work despite working long hours. The organisation adapted to home working quite quickly and was supportive by issuing additional equipment on request. The work is interesting although emotionally draining at times.
Pros
Supportive colleagues
Cons
The people are great, the work can be interesting if your willing to put the effort in. As it's a government department you'll get frustrated at policies being changed just for the fun of it. The starting pay isn't bad for what you're actually doing but it will never go up by much and unless you're willing to travel the country promotions can be hard to come by.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
I learnt a lot in a short space of time. Every day was different. Working in a highly professional and diverse team. Extremely enjoyable, would highly recommend.
I worked for CPS for 18 years, would recommend them for a career. Only left due to chance In circumstances. I would happily go and work for them in the area I now live.
Pros
Reasonable pay, good amount of holidays. Flex time working. Extremely interesting.
Cons
Fast paced, stressfull
i spent 25 years at the CPS and over that time worked on a large variety of cases, lately the more complex cases. it is fast paced, time limits/judge orders to comply with, but interesting at the same time, seeing cases from charge right through to conviction or acquittal.
At the Crown Prosecution Service, they ensure that their staff have a great work life balance. There is working from home, no core hours and a wide range of support policies to ensure that work life and home life marry.
Pros
Hours of work - working from home
Cons
Legal environment so be prepared to be exposed to all criminal acts
The Paralegal Assistant role has become a role between admin and a Paralegal Officer. You perform the same function as a Paralegal Officer along with administrative duties but for less pay and no opportunity to become a Paralegal Officer which is very frustrating.
Pros
Flexi-Time
Cons
Unable to take leave
I worked at CPS for almost 41 yrs. I gained a lot of experience through my daily duties in the various roles I applied for. There are always challenges in every role and there is always plenty of opportunities to develop within the organisation.
As a court advocate, working in back to back courts, I often find myself working long evenings. The quality of the trial files are sometimes not up to the expected standard. There are no breaks during court, and the seating can sometimes be uncomfortable. The benefits are flexible working occasionally, and a decent pension.
Excellent organization and I would absolutely recommend working for this government department. Wonderful manager and co workers and great flexibility
typical day - preparing court papers learned - new laws management - bullies workplace culture - stressful hardest part - dealing with vulnerable witnesses/victims enjoyable - securing convictions
Cons
Since starting with the service I have had great experiences in the office and at court. Management have been understanding and accommodating to my needs creating a healthy work life balance
I worked for the CPS for nine months on a fixed term contract, The people I worked with were professional, reliable and friendly. The work itself was challenging and I learned a lot about the world of work. I really enjoyed my time there.
Learnt how to work as a team and was able to contribute to the current task at hand. Very supportive colleagues who explain how to execute tasks efficiently and properly.
A great job when I started but we suffered from too much change too quickly given the number of staff lost due to austerity. Regardless, most people soldiered on and tried to give the public a service as good as it could be. The public do not know how lucky they are to have such dedicated people working for them. I cannot say too much about the work due to legal reasons.
Pros
The privilege of working for the CPS and the people of the West Midlands
Cons
Long hours. Travel to Birmingham.
A typical day is coming into the office and looking at the rota at which task you could be allocated. This could be prepping for court, bundling case files, logging media or updating past hearings and completing tasks. The work does vary and you can be rota'd on a number of jobs which is good as you never quite know which task you will be doing; which keeps it interesting. Line managers are lovely and have your absolute best interests at heart. Further above, management are focussed on numbers and facts and figures and do not see you as a person; but as a "thing" to allocate some tasks too. I enjoy working here however do add the caveat that if you would be against micro-management this may not be the workplace for you.
Pros
Good annual leave, flexi-leave, decent salary, good colleagues
Cons
Micro-management from above, not always obvious progression
This workplace was perfect in order to get a real sense of what it takes to become a lawyer and an incredible eye opener into the world of law and justice.
As this was only a experience and I wasn't employed, I found the different roles that everyone played interesting and the importance that each of them play to succeed.
I enjoy my role within the Crown Prosecution Service as a Senior Personal Assistant. My daily duties include managing my Senior Managers inbox and calendar schedules. I arrange meetings, prepare agendas and take minutes in those meetings. The most enjoyable part of my job is building relationships with my Senior Managers as I believe it to be a vital part of the PA role.
There are no typical days as of the work we do and the benefits of flexi. As an apprentice they made it easy to complete all of my out of work material.
The experience of working at the crown prosecution service opens you up to complete office work environment. The overall atmosphere is supportive, welcoming and professional.