Croydon Council

Croydon Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom92 reviews

councilflexiblesupportlearnteamskilltrainingtypical

Great council

Great place to work and fantastic management which can be hard to come by. My colleagues were very welcoming and I really enjoyed the job. The pay isn’t the best and the work/life balance is poor but overall I had a great experience here.

Productive fast past environment

A typical day is fast past at Croydon where no day is ever the same. There is room for learning and development and training that supports you to do your job. The leadership is helpful, creative and always supportive. The hardest part of being at Croydon council is the uncertainty when there are cuts in budget or changes to services. Overall the workplace culture is one of progression and collaborative .Typically in a day i would learn about managing performance, local issues that were impacting on children and families as being an assistant manager for Croydon's early help service. I would also learn a bout staff' workstyle and how they learned and equally how they contributed to work life in the early help hub.

Insights into Croydon Council

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging

Poor management

The management don't care about your personality, only the job has to be done.They moved you very often to different places without thinking of the main point that you actually don't know the children in that place and very often we are stressed and the children as well

Vibrant people and meaningful projects

Great work environment- very flexible, no micromanagement just good support to work well … lots of internal opportunities too. We’d all like more pay but it’s good in comparison with other LA’s.

Pros

Really good personal development training

Cons

Busy! Lots to do, but they are fair about what’s achievable if you are open, honest and generally have a good work ethic.

Supportive teams!

I had a supportive team which made the job easier. Great food in the cafe and lovely building to work in. There are enough desks for everyone and hot design works well with quiet spaces to work in. Friendly staff. Pay is higher than other boroughs which is great too!

Not fair to all

In the beginning of my employment, with Croydon Council, I enjoyed working there, I got the opportunity to help customers, directly, and learn new skills. After work there for about a month, I begun too see a lot of favouritism with certain staff members, were some employees were aloud to take regular breaks and was not questioned about it, also, the same staff members were given less demanding tasks.

Pros

Great face to face customer service experience, help you to get a border knowledge of how to support customers directly.

Cons

Poor management

not what it seems

A council that is yet to move into the 21st Century. Planning managers are lacking people management skills. There is a regular turnover of permanent staff and temps. Workload is extremely high and the staff are micro managed despite working more than the required hours. The place has gone bankrupt and there is basically no budget for anything. All their job adverts are misleading. Do not expect any professional fees or subscriptions to be paid by the Council. Even stationery is at a premium. You will be expected to use your personal phone whilst carrying out your admin/planning job. Avoid at all costs!

Not a pleasant place to work.

Excellent training, job itself very interesting. Management appalling, no help and highly rude. If your face fit's your in, if not they make it very uncomfortable for you. Temp's are treated shamefully. They need to shake this office, and get rid of the sour members of staff, put some people who actually care about the residents, and who are willing to help them, not fob them off.

Pros

very local

Cons

all of the above

Bad

Nice colleagues but zero job protection. The council is bankrupt and have let their staff suffer the most. Management in the Adults/Well-being/Access departments is awful.

Pros

Easy to get to

Cons

Might lose your job

A good place to work, learn and serve the public

A good place to work, learn and serve the public. Worked with the commissioning directors and developed a number of sourcing strategies and a portfolio of commissioning and procurement activities. Led a team of 4 direct resources and 8 indirect resource. The organisation is a fast paste commissioning authority so should be prepared to work hard and deliver outcomes and improved performance.

Pros

As above

Cons

A bit far from London but generally good train commute, Large procurement and commissioning team, so good set up

Misled

Arrogant attitude towards staff. Just appalling environment. Stressful, huge difference in the way they treat staff. Targets look easy but petty little things constantly cause interruptions. This is bought about by a pattern of behaviour from staff that spend all day backbiting to disguise the fact they are doing little.

Pros

Cons

No trust

Terrible

Terrible management, lots of behind the scenes disloyalty, many family members and married couples. No work life balance, high caseload and extremely high stress. No support, senior management terrible also.

Cons

Poor management and resistant to change

Managers are not very knowledgeable and poor at people management. Despite risks being identified no urgent action taken to reduce risk within financial systems. No possibility of progressing to management as 'dead man's shoes' situation and managers complacent and secure until retirement in current roles.

very productive, interesting and motivated work place

Being able complete all task and help customers fix their task requested. Also having a great team to guide you to help out when needed and not allowing 1 member of the team to fall but to rise

Fast moving and dynamic

Working with children and families meant no day was the same, but typically there would be home visits, assessments to write, phone calls to make, and information to process. Liaising with different agencies such as schools; health; housing. Generally worked independently of colleagues as held own caseload. Management support in place and regular supervision and support. Online support and training available Flexible and mobile working.

Pros

flexible working; competitive pay; annual leave

Cons

access to resources often limited

It was ok

It was a very good job up early most of the time as long as the team of people who you are working with have a good motivation you will finish at a good time .

Forward thinking joined up authority, good strategy and willing to change service and facilities to meet need and changing culture, industry position.

Pros

Collaboration of departments

Cons

Long days and difficult to commute to unless very local

Is what you make it.

It can e a great place to work. A typical day at work would be, for me getting to work starting whatever duties i have. Going to lunch around 12-1ish and then returning to my duties.

Fun Workplace, lovely people.... Not interested in developing Staff ..

I came into this job with the understanding that the Council were really into developing their staff and that there was lots of training opportunities and job advancement chances. There is little to no training, I and my team have had to work most stuff out for ourselves, management can be a bit lacking. It seems that genuinely hard working people get overlooked whilst people who are lazy (e.g. constantly coming in late, going upstairs to get their breakfast during working hours, or going out to take a hundred cigarette breaks during the day) are the ones that get away with everything and seem to be better off. I loved the people I worked with and I got a chance to network a lot but there were definitely favourites in the the team. It's a shame that jobs in Croydon are so unstable and a lot of people get cut and let off due to the everchanging budget. It makes it a difficult place to have prospects in. It's been great experience for me but it's not the place for ambitious professionals starting their career.

Pros

Some managers flexible, nice colleages (department dependant), good pay

Cons

Lazy work culture, cliques in workplace (if you're not in a clique you probably wont get anywhere) job instability

Croydon BC Employment

Very stressful experience working at Croydon BC. Management very poor, especially work schedule and conveying the information required to perform the job successfully. Often left to your own devices for very long periods of time with no management engagement.

Good place to work and flexible working available

Good place to work with flexible working. Learned alot about data analysis. Excel skills, databases, dealing with schools. Most enjoyable part of my job was managing myself and moulding the job to work well. Creating processes and procedures.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Croydon Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement