Cumbria County Council
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

Cumbria County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom78 reviews

supportstaffserviceteamworkingenjoylotgood

Loved job bullied off management

I loved my job and was good at it but was basically told if I didn’t leave a would be sacked because i was poorly and depressed also had a skin graph so my absence a also have a cyst on my brain so the didn’t want me there anymore

Fast pace, organised, good hours

Overtime available, knowledgeable manager, good staff team good hours. Choice of unpaid breaks or not. Can be stressful when short staffed, like all other workplaces.

Insights into Cumbria County Council

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues

Domicillary care

Good autonomy6 or 12 hour shiftWork one weekend in twoReasonable workload until staff sicknessWork on single or double up callsCalls in and out of town

Not a forward thinking organisation

In my particular area staff were not treated with respect and not listened to unless it was something management agreed with. Poor management skills and poor leadership

Pros

Could work from home

Cons

Very clicking

Good team

I love working in my current position. My line manager goes above & beyond to look after his staff. The only negative is pay, not enough for being on the front line & dealing with clients in their own homes.

Stuck in the past and constantly racing to cover up inadequacies

We have changed numerous managers over the past few years and never have a constant. Many use the position as a stepping stone or go off on long term sickness. Our manager on station tries to run it independent from the service and implements his own rules and regulations to suit himself with little oversight or challenges. The money does not come close to the commitment given and is less than half neighbouring services provide.

Pros

Life experineces

Cons

Management and pay

Support Worker

Good training in moving and handling, medication, lack of initial training in Dementia which should be implemented prior to start of job. Colleagues very welcoming apart from two of the mid level supervisors who need training in how to treat staff courteously, they were seriously lacking in support for new staff. Manager was lovely. Morning shifts suited my lifestyle. Don't know about job advancement.

Pros

Lovely people to support

Cons

Short staffed, low pay

Bad management

Very bad management with cliques that they apply different rules for the support workers and average pay.Only positive i can think is that you have sick pay.

Friendly atmosphere

Fabulous place to work with friendly clients , Lots to do from meal prep and cooking to being a bingo caller for the games or maybe you prefer dominoes there’s plenty to keep you busy.

Excellent employer

Best organisation I have ever worked for. Good perks, good work life balance, team approach that makes a genuine difference to peoples lives. Cannot recommend strongly enough

Pros

Good perks

Cons

Sometimes emotionally demanding

Good benefits, average pay, bot enough overtime.

Pay is average but the benefits make up for it. Some overtime available but not regular. Work force clicky and management relaxed but uninterested. Easy job and easy life of you don’t mind average wage packet. Nobody ever cracking a whip.

Good perks, poor pay progression unless you are based in Carlisle.

Enjoy working here as there are some good people in my team. Unfortunately the senior management take too long to make decisions and processes are duplicated too often.

Pros

Flexi time, hybrid working, professional development.

Cons

Not dynamic enough, some unprofessional leaders.

Productive, enjoyable, interesting, flexibility and supportive

A typical day would be both interesting and productive. Always learning new things, very good training opportunities. Management were very supportive and helpful. Family commitment and life work balance awareness. . It was lovely working with the public and the work in general was very enjoyable.

Pros

I enjoyed everything about my role working in the Library Service. Hours, support, flexibility, wages, training, colleagues.

Cons

I didn't find any cons working for Cumbria County Council.

Discrimination in recruitment

Horrible employer. First time I applied I received a comment which is considered to be a racist comment. Second time I got the job after I knew someone there but they still didn’t want to give it until I complained

Useless management

More interested in ticking boxes than supporting staff. No wonder they’re always advertising for staff. Says it all really. The private sector are actually better to work for now.

Pros

Good amount of leave, great colleagues

Cons

Unsupportive, no leadership, cutbacks, premises not looked after

Excellent workplace

Managers very fair and helpful. Clear expectations and lots of support. Work-life balance excellent and flexible working is a real bonus. Regular supervision.

Pros

Work-life balance

Cons

Lone working

Terrible place to work

Very poor working conditions, there is a requirement to work 12 hour days even though you’re only paid for 7. Poor or in fact little induction. Lack of ownership from HR where feedback on working conditions are reporting.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, Poor Management and general lack of support

A good and enjoyable place to work, Interesting, varied and satisfying.

I have enjoyed working for Cumbria County Council, I work in the library service which has given me many years of both pleasurable and challenging work experience. The Salary is okay, however, the cost of living in the area in which my library is situated is high, so it could be slightly higher.Overall, good management, communication and training. They listen and act on your concerns and react to your work life balance needs where the service can accommodate. I would very much recommend working for Cumbria County Council.

Pros

Overall, good management, communication and training

Cons

Pay could be higher given the often demanding work load.

Lovely job, poor management

Residential home environment. This was a lovely job with a great team of colleagues, flexible working hours and reasonable salary. The downside is the poor management. They treat the staff with contempt, the manager cannot even be bothered to say " good morning" to the staff but will walk past them to her office without a word. The management team don't trust or respect the staff, who do a fantastic job, but then they expect respect and trust from the staff??Would not recommend as a place to work.

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

Bad management

Groupthink and slow moving

Locally, operational staff give their all. At senior level there is disconnect and no real knowledge of what is happening on the ground, nor willingness to learn or improve when things go wrong. A very static council. Expectation of being able to work with too few staff, and no willingness to listen to pressures and concerns. Good relationships operationally with other teams in health and similar and with providers.

Pros

Operational staff hugely supportive of each other, work well across teams

Cons

district offices are geographically spread out, are reliant on senior management

Open Office

The open office can be noisy at times with staff receiving phone calls throughout the day, the 'break out area' used in lunch-breaks can also be used if quiet time is needed to take skype calls etc.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cumbria County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Cumbria County Council with

Learn about Cumbria County Council in popular locations

• Cumbria County Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?