DAC Beachcroft LLP

DAC Beachcroft LLP Employee Reviews

United Kingdom59 reviews

Positive experience

Nice co workers, flexible working, low salary. No real complaints, overall a pleasant experience. Collaborative working. Good training opportunities.

Pros

Flexible working, nice team

Cons

Low pay

Awful place to work

I worked in the Birmingham office and the management team is one of the worst I have ever experienced . Management is constantly changing what they require from you. Daily emails, high turn over of staff. Very high case load. Extremely low pay and no chance of a bonus with their constant change of bonus guidelines. Ridiculous targets. It goes without saying that they expect you to log on the weekend or after your work hours to complete the ridiculous spreadsheets they send every week on top of your huge case load. No appreciation for your efforts.

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

Bullying by management, high case load, no work life balance. Very low pay.

A lot of responsibility, low pay

High caseload, little variation but consistent. Management are not consistent with training and advice, pay is poor for the level of work and caseload. You ideally need to be working more than your weekly hours to keep up, which is not feesable for everyone.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

High caseloads and burn out

DAC Beachcroft is a truly inclusive and supportive place to work

I have been working at DAC Beachcroft starting in April and since then have really settled into my role. My overall experience of the firm has been one that strives for excellence in everything it does, but also emphasises the importance of maintaining a healthy work/life balance. My application process consisted of two interviews with my team (one with the head of the team and one with the other members). The interview itself included some competency based questions as well as some based on my past experiences. I find that the culture is very supportive and it's not a typically hierarchical law firm. The introduction of flexible hours has also highlighted the importance the firm places on your life outside of work, which I think is a fantastic initiative.

17 August 2021
Thanks very much for leaving a review on your experiences to date. Great to hear that your overall experience has been so positive, we're delighted to have you working here and wish you huge success in your career.

Supportive team and exciting work

I am an Advocate at 8 DAC Beachcroft Buildings, which is the in-house advocacy team at DAC Beachcroft. I represent our clients at small claims hearings, interlocutory hearings, stage 3 hearings, and undertake ancillary work including drafting to assist fee-earners. The 8DB team is supportive and are exciting to work with. Members are able to manage their work whilst enjoying/sharing personal enjoyments of life. The junior advocates are well-supported by qualified barristers who are always willing and ready to assist. In particular, senior members are keen to encourage and push juniors in their career aspirations (especially in their endeavours to become qualified). The work is dynamic, as is the nature of an advocate's role, and at times last-minute instructions require extra preparation outside of normal hours. However, being able to succeed in a trial or obtain a favourable outcome for the client are the most enjoyable parts of the job.

Pros

Flexible working; Great people; Dynamic

Cons

Unpredictable schedule (sometimes)

16 August 2021
Thanks for leaving your review, its great to hear you are really enjoying your work and are part of such a great team. Wishing you continued success with DACB.

Great People and a Great Company

I've fund joining DACB to be a very positive experience. Very warm and welcoming colleagues and a company that is making great headway in flexing its working practices to meet the demands of the new Covid world we are in. The culture is work hard, collaborate and support each other and it does operate at a million miles an hour but my managers and senior leaders always have time to talk and listen and it is clear that they have the best interests of all employees at heart. I think this company will go from strength to strength

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Too much to do!

16 August 2021
We're delighted to hear you are enjoying the DACB culture, there's lots to do thats for sure - exciting times for the firm and colleagues, we're glad to have you onboard!

Not an enjoyable experience

I worked as a paralegal within their Birmingham office. The culture of this firm is nothing but toxic the majority of staff work way beyond their normal hours logging in of an evening and weekends doing additional hours before/after the usual 9-5 just to try and keep up with the high workload. Lack of support from management, they talk down to supervisors about their teams progress and push you to achieve unrealistic expectations and maintain billing and settlement targets. Minimal admin support and you are still expected to log so much chargeable time per day, maintain billing and other admin tasks alongside your fee earning work. Made to feel stupid like you have done something wrong if you ask for additional support or help with your workload - not a very nice place to work. If you show you are a hard worker this will not work in your favour as you will be taken advantage of even more and given more and more cases and asked to cover other people’s work. Everyone is in the same situation bar management, barely staying a float to maintain key deadlines on cases due to the high volume of cases you are given but being pushed to try and settle more cases. The pay does not reflect your responsibilities and they are definitely more focused on you hitting targets than the drain on your mental well-being from the stresses of the job. Definitely reflected in the high staff turnover and they are constantly recruiting to try and keep up. I would not recommend this place, they also make you work a 3 month notice period if you have been there for longer than 6 months.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, unrealistic targets, lack of support

12 August 2021
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry to hear this was your experience whilst working at DAC Beachcroft. We take all feedback seriously and would always encourage colleagues to reach out to their HRBP if they don't feel able to speak directly to their manager. We introduced Flex Forward earlier in the year, our cultural approach to flexibility and supporting our aim to create a more inclusive and accessible workplace by removing practical and virtual barriers to work. Flex Forward means our colleagues aren't bound to the hours of 9 to 5, they can 'glide' their time across their day. This gives people maximum flexibility in how they orchestrate their day (guided by 3 key principles), hence why you may have experienced team members working outside of traditional hours.We're sorry that you felt you were made to feel stupid, this is really disappointing. Our cultural principles include being supportive, to hear this wasn't your experience we can only apologise. I've shared your feedback with the Senior HRBP for this location.With regard to notice periods, employees are contractually obliged to work their notice period, I appreciate this may have been frustrating for you if you were eager to start a new role however we need to balance this with continuing to deliver to our clients and supporting the remaining team.Wishing you every success in your new role.

Poor experience working there

Poor experience when started No structure , no line manager , passed from pillar to post. So no structure to work load / daily work Team were unhelpful didn’t make new people feel welcomed. Management/senior members were poor

Terrible place to work at

No backup from either team mate or management and certainly not a place of work I would ever recommend to anyone! DONT WORK THERE! Horrible horrible horrible! Would have killed my self-confidence if I had no one outside of work to talk to!

Pros

Being able to leave!

Cons

Having to go there!

12 August 2021
Thank you for making the time to leave us feedback. We are sorry that during your time with us at DAC Beachcroft you felt passed from pillar to post, this goes against everything we commit to. To hear this has impacted your self-confidence is so sad, we're sorry. I appreciate you will have most likely moved on to new employment but we'd always be open to more detailed feedback if you feel able to share this with the HRBP for Business Services or a member of our Employee Relations team. It genuinely is important to us that we take time to listen and understand feedback like this so if you do feel able to elaborate more we'd endeavour to learn from this. Wishing you every success for the future.

A great place to work

DAC Beachcroft is genuinely a great place to work. The management really care about you and you aren't just another number. They have great benefits and flexible working policies. They are also very focused on diversity and mental health. They have handled the COVID situation really well and they have made employees feel safe and secure during unprecedented times.

Pros

Good benefits, flexible working policies, great teams

Cons

Can be very fast paced

Nice firm good progress

I only worked here on a temporary assignment via agency but the time I was here I really enjoyed it. Modern collaborative firm and good perks. Parking a bit awkward due to location but where isn’t these days? Gutted I couldn’t stay longer.

An excellent place to work

Just a great place to work in both HR, administration, and Law. A very nice atmosphere that encourages teamwork and collaboration but also allows for independent work when desired by an individual. Fantastic facilities.

Nice global company to work for

Nice new building, the finance dept is big but sitting all together with easy access to each other. The company provides well for its employees. Ambitious forward looking company.

Soul destroying company

Awful company to work for, pay is really low. Overworked and under paid, no appreciation for staff. No work life balance, unrealistic targets. There is a very high turnover of staff...a soul destroying place. Management is a real problem within credit hire. Supervisors are treated poorly as are the paralegals.

Bleee

Poor management. Boring role. Progression hard to come by. Very clique. No job satisfaction. A lot of colleagues full of their own importance. Very poor standards of client service and satisfaction.

6 January 2020
Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it. I'm sorry to hear that you are finding progression hard to come by, your HRBP (Amy) would be happy to talk to you confidentially on this and explore how you are looking to progress your career and what opportunities there may be. If you have thoughts on where we can improve client service in your team we'd love to hear from you on this also.

n/a

I have never left a negative review in my life, but dear me, I also think that you can expect some sort of standard when you go to work in corporate world. Unfortunately, the standard at this company was very poor. Where do I start? Having entered the company, you loose yourself with no support.

25 November 2019
Thank you for leaving a review but sorry to read your experience here wasn't positive. Unfortunately without understanding more specifics I can't really comment on your feedback, although I gather you felt unsupported. Sorry that this was the case. We've been reviewing our induction programme this year as we knew it could be improved, we're also about to undertake an employee experience review as we want colleagues to enjoy working here.

Great culture, friendly people

DACB has a friendly, supportive and inclusive culture. The area that I work in is very collaborative and forward-thinking, with a good support structure in place for colleagues. Everyone I have met in my area and the wider firm has been very friendly and welcoming. Being a bigger firm, there are some good benefits and perks, such as a nice office, good location (very accessible for public transport links), well-being initiatives, subsidised cafe, showers and more.

11 November 2019
Thanks for sharing your feedback, it's great to hear that you are enjoying the supportive and friendly culture so much.We wish you continued success with the firm.

Legal secretaries - avoid!!

Terrible 8 months in this company from start to finish and would advise anyone thinking of applying for a legal secretary role to just don't! Recruitment and interview process was a joke and somehow I was placed in a completely different department to the one I had applied for via the recruiter. Queried this on my first week and was basically told nothing could me done so pretty much had to get on with it and spent 8 months working in a department I had no experience in. Secretarial Management are extremely lazy and there is literally no training or support you are literally left to your own devices. Made false promises regarding pay and work progression throughout my time there to the point I couldn't take much more of it and decided to leave after just 8 months. Awful experience - avoid!!

21 November 2019
Thank you for your feedback. It is really disappointing to hear that this was your experience whilst employed with us. Naturally this isn’t the experience we want colleagues to have. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback directly.As part of our interview process we provide each candidate with an overview of the team/s and discuss the key role responsibilities. At offer stage we typically confirm which team an applicant will be supporting, sometimes this can be fixed at the interview stage but other times, as appears in your case we are considering applicants for more than one opening. It’s an agile team with huge scope to grow and progress in.We provide a full induction and training package, alongside a buddy being allocated for new team members, therefore we are sorry your experience wasn’t reflective of this. Our team managers hold regular one to one conversations as part of our performance review approach, an opportunity for additional training or support to be discussed. The secretarial role does require individuals to work independently and without supervision (amongst a number of other attributes and skills); providing a valuable service to our legal team. The scale and scope of our firm means you’ll, at some stage, have the opportunity to change the type of work you do and develop new skills by joining a different team and supporting our lawyers with differing demands.We understand that DACB wasn’t right for you but do appreciate your feedback. Please accept our best wishes for your career.

Growing global law firm - interesting work, great people

An interesting role within a great team. It's a large firm, which has pros and cons but above all, the attitude of being able to introduce new ideas, support new processes is welcome. As it's a large firm, several well-being perks such as exercise classes, social events, diversity initiatives. Thoroughly enjoying my time.

Good culture with lots of opportunities

I work in the Bristol office and overall think that DACB is a great place to work. There is a friendly and supportive culture throughout the firm both in Bristol and in other offices I've visited. I've been offered lots of different opportunities, not just in terms of career progression and professional qualifications but also with things like volunteering in the local community. The social events are varied and fun too. Flexible working also feels much more accessible and encouraged now which I think is really positive!

A good place to work

There's a strong emphasis in DACB on looking after people. Can vary from team to team (as it would in any organisation of this size) but overall the standard is high and under scrutiny centrally. Work is varied and a lot is high quality. Management generally will listen to constructive comment. Hardest part is managing workload during peaks, but again supportive management helps. Really lovely people tend to come here and stay. Collegiate working atmosphere. It's still a law firm - emphasis on billing to make us profitable, but don't be fooled into thinking this will be different in any firm likely to survive the next 5 - 10 years!!! The pay here isn't the highest, but is fair for the market and the level of work.

Pros

Focus on values, efforts to look after colleagues, work-life balance

Cons

It's still a law firm!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DAC Beachcroft LLP. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare DAC Beachcroft LLP with

• DAC Beachcroft LLP
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?