DARTINGTON HALL TRUST

Insights into DARTINGTON HALL TRUST

What people like
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Great, value led organisation

Great charity to work for, really varied role and duties due to the nature of the organisation. Manager and Team are brilliant, everyone works hard and is focused on ensuring we are working towards common goals and keeping to our values and mission. I'm lucky enough to be based on the estate with lovely gardens and walks to enjoy on my breaks, as well as discounts in the food outlets, retail shops and cinema.One of the better places I have worked for sure.

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, casual dress, great location and excellent discounts and benefits.

Exciting times

Dartington is a really interesting company to work for and has lots of projects and initiatives to implement as we come out of lockdown.I'm still reasonably new to the organisation but it's exciting to be part of a company with so many different functions that is looking to make positive changes in the world.

Pros

Charity organisation with a social conscience, beautiful grounds, discount in the shops and cafes.

not bad

this place was not bad but highly unorganised. the pay was not bad but not enough people sometimes or enough time allocated for the number of rooms and people

Don't apply for this job !

The Dartington Hall estate in Totnes is a very snobby and classist place to work ! It's not so much if you can do the job or not, it's more a case of if your face fits ! If it doesn't, they'll employ you for the first six months probationary period, then get rid of you ! But won't actually tell you until then ! My cleaning standards were too notch, and I came in loads of times when I felt poorly, but all of that didn't matter, as my face didn't fit in with them !

Pros

None !

Cons

Snobby ! Clasist ! They use and abuse you ! Poor pay ! Hectic workin conditions !

not great

I had the misfortune of working in an admin role here. If you like bullying, bad workspace, appalling middle management and dogs running about the office, then this is ideal

Pros

nice grounds

Cons

sanctimonious peoole

Terrible company

Would not bother applying for any sort of job at Dartington, they have just made most of the people redundant. No job is secure there. Real poor company to work for.

A progessive, just and socially-aware work place - with real extremes of activities.

My typical day at work was full of unexpected situations - you need to be adaptable and flexible to work well here. There are so many variables covering the arts, social justice, school of social entrepreneurs and the Schumacher College activities. Dartington Hall Trust gives a wealth of learning that I could not have imagined before I came here. I have enjoyed every minute. The challenging part is actually part of the good - too much collaboration! This means that sometimes accountability is in question. The workplace culture is cohesive and without too much hierarchy, but everyone knows their strengths and differing debating views are encouraged. The most enjoyable part of the job, without doubt, are the people I have met, never have I worked for an organisation with such diversity in every sense of the word.

Was helpful

Work experience at The Dartington Hall was very helpful for me as I found out a lot about what it's like to work in estate management and in an office in general, and I can conclude that I very much prefer being out and doing manual labour to being stuck in an office all day.

Pros

I know what type of work i want to be doing

Cons

Didn't want to be stuck in an office all day

Fair and conscious employer

A bit airy fairy, but to be expected given the idea behind The Dartington Trust. Overall a good employer who looks after their staff. Good benefits and rates of pay with plenty of opportunities.

Pros

Staff discounts.

enjoyable and fun place to work

its a really nice and safe place to work everyday. Staff are friendly and helpful all the time and also great atmosphere. Managers are great and guests are really friendly as well. staff are also very well taken care of as well

Dull and uninspiring

Portayed as a inclusive, considerate company to work for BUT existing staff & management were pompous and cool. An extremely dull and uninspiring place to work. Most existing staff were bored, they admitted staying only because the hourly rate of pay was good. Buildings in disrepair and security severely lacking.

Pros

25% discount card after one month's employment

Cons

Shocking lack of security, unhelpful staff and elitist management

Boring and neglectful

Everyone acting busy and self important, trying to seem concerned and caring towards staff but in reality a sense of high-browed self importance prevails, especially to new comers.

Was okay

There were some great people to work with here, I would say it was a good job and suited me perfectly at the time. There is a mixed bag of mangement so it really is personal prference who you get along with

Developing nicely

Working at Dartington has helped me to develop my confidence, both personally and professionally and I have also been fortunate enough to enhance my knowledge of the hotel industry. The new management have drive and ambition to take the place to the next level, enhancing both front of house/ bar areas for stock management, service levels and general staff competencies but they are also driven to enhance the conference standard and maintaining these levels. Personally, working here has been a god-send. After showing a desire and ability to work the long hours, I have been able to support myself throughout my time at university.

Pros

Good wage

Cons

Sometimes - very late nights

Friendly Environment

It is an exceptionally friendly place to work, set in beautiful surroundings. The work is varied, and challenging without being overly pressurised.

Pros

surroundings

Cons

salary not brilliant

Beautiful Location, very staff focused

Working on the beautiful Dartington Hall Estate is a pleasure, surrounded by culture and history. The staff are incredibly important to this Company and across department knowledge is actively encouraged.

Hotel with huge potential

A busy hotel dealing with conferencing, leisure breaks, b&b, weddings and day visitors to Dartington hall

Pros

History

Chaotic at times...

An overall average place to work within the catering industry...

Pros

Beautiful Location

Cons

Short staffing and high staff turnover...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DARTINGTON HALL TRUST. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8