Darwin & Wallace

Darwin & Wallace Employee Reviews

United Kingdom12 reviews

It was fun while it lasted...

The place was great when I started, but slowly began to decline as I started to get bullied by much older people there. Not sure if they still work there, but it wasn't great. The Manger then didn't solve the issues at all. The diversity was completely off also, so you would feel like an outsider sometimes. The head waiters would take advantage of their position to do so many things you weren't even meant to do.I could write a whole essay, but to sum it up, my experience was real bad. I hope that by now new people have taken those positions to save anyone wanting to work there from their unprofessional attitude.

Pros

Staff food

Cons

The same staff food

A Company that cares about their people

I joined the Company 3 months ago. I have never worked in a place where even Head Office are approachable, they know us by name and always speak to us about how everything is going. After finishing my probation I told them I wanted to grow further and my Ops Manager came to see me and a training plan has been put in place for me. I am super happy. They have also started an incentive where I get money if I refer friends!

Pros

Culture, management, Head Office

Cons

Short of staff, but everyone is

Insights into Darwin & Wallace

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Support from manager
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Strong commitment to people well-being

I have worked with Darwin & Wallace for 4 years now. The last two have been an absolute crazy ride, which has unfortunately continued till now. The company has stayed committed to all of us. 100% of service charge goes to us, they have ensure that everyone in the company earns above the London Living Wage and is constantly looking at ways to do better for us. There are opportunities to grow for myself and all those that want to grow.

Pros

Culture - Team - Ethic - Developing

Short staffed always

I have been working in D&W after lockdown and during the time I saw this place getting worse. No staff and you are always to make double job. Everyone stressed

Pros

Friendly environment

Cons

Short staff, impossible hours

Official response from Darwin & Wallace

1 June 2022
Like everyone else in our industry, we are suffering from staff shortages. As a Company, we have teams of temp staff to support our teams and we always ensure that people do not work more than their contracted hours. Our people's well-being is top priority for us.

Lack of support from Operation team.Lot of promises what never gonna happen.

If you take this job make sure you double check your contract properly.Benefits is a "may" and they like to say that a lot.You gonna work mostly understaffed as they cutting the hours really, really hard.Working with broken glasswasher for about 4 months, broken fridge about 7 month, broken crushed ice machine 8 months.As a bartender sometimes you gonna close saturdays alone which is the most busy day.Closing and going back open next day happens very often.They will ask you on your day off to help out another sites, my advice, not do it as they never gonna appreciate your extra help.Sometimes you will need to fight for your staff food.Rotas sometimes doesn't make any sense (part timer will do more hour then the full timer)-Understaffed-Lack of support from Operation team-Opening to closing shifts-Salary low for the job needs to be done,-Broken Equipments-Sometimes nearly 60 hours working week-Expect to get called in on your day off -Never day off on Friday Saturday or Sunday,-Staff food quality is horrible-No Cash so forget about tips in the bar-No company induction-No proper training-No training about spirits, wines,-No staff party-Attitude of the Operation management is horrible.Don't put too much from your hearth to the place otherwise you gonna get tired and burn out really, really fast.

Pros

All service charge going to the staff Regulars are really nice

Cons

See review

Official response from Darwin & Wallace

1 June 2022
We are very surprised by your comments. At no point during your year of employment, these issues were brought up to us. It is disappointing to read this review and not have been given the chance to sit down and discuss what issues you encountered. We have people on our team at No1a that have been with us since 2018 that are very happy working there and we feel your comments are unfair and do not reflect reality. A real shame.

This is a cool company to work for. Really strong team culture and great atmosphere on shift. Also good development opportunities to progress which is nice.

Excellent Company to work for

They have looked after us throughout the pandemic. The environment is fast pace, but the head office people work on shifts on busy days helping us out. Great culture

Pros

Free lunch, competitive salary

Cons

Late closing Saturday and Sunday

Sustainability and Commitment

One of the Darwin&Wallace 's aim is to have the least amount of impact on the environment and provide the greatest service simultaneously. Hence, the management main concern is to educate and give all opportunities for employees to take up the responsibilities reliably and feel encouraged. Starting from the sharing the fundamentals about what does make the company unique to investing in trainings where staff is learning how to be real professionals.

Pros

Computer Program Training and Food Menu Degustation once in 3 months

Cons

Last minute rota changes occasionally

Beautiful bars

The bars all look beautiful and and the products served are great. It's a very young company that struggles to to capture their own identity. Senior management lack people skills which is proven by a massive management turnover.

When doing trial runs

I learnt a lot from Darwin and Wallace but worked ridiculous hours. I have left on good terms abd will always be thankful for the opportunity they gave me.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Hours

productive

amazing place to go as a customer but as well to work, chances to improve and grow in the company, amazing job culture really demanding and competitive

Pros

free lunch

Busy events venue

I work in a growing company, they are doing their best to achieve their goals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Darwin & Wallace. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement