David Lloyd Leisure
Happiness score is 35 out of 100

David Lloyd Leisure Employee Reviews

I hated working here and felt constantly judged and not good enough. Management think that they are above you. Everyone was miserable all of the time, nobody was friendly or had fun unless it was quite late at night or very early morning when no management or supervisors were around. The sales team i worked with were so miserable and stuck up that i didn't even want to go to work each day. I preferred shifts on my own. I was made to feel awful by the general manager when i handed my notice in after 3 gruelling months for another job - he tried to not pay me my expenses from my training. In my training i did travel to other sites though - Hull & York and everyone was lovely there - much better environment to work in and they were fun.
Pros
Free gym membership, pool and tennis lessons
Cons
Management and hostile environment
Everyone is just a number to the company. No staff are looked after bar the favourite management team. It is all about the money. Unless you are a yes man that doesn't mind working stupid hours but also doing several different roles additional to your own for minimum wage.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Salary, hours, the company's morals
David Lloyd know how to treat their employees with compassion, respect and they are very loyal and understanding, one of the best places to work for , fun , productive, and are always their to help.listen and advise and not be afraid to ask a question
Pros
Free membership for yourself and your significant other plus if you have any childre, discount at the David Lloyd fitness ship.and restaurant
Cons
Have to work 1 Saturday a month
They expect the earth from you and give very little back in return. No loyalty. No support. No explanations.Cardiff branch totally ageist despite what their adverts say.
Pros
Lovely members and facilities
Cons
Ageist, unsupportive, no communication, double standards, Hypocrites.
Supportive and fun workplace; very helpfull mangement, exelent work pearks and benefits, ways of development, all of this make you wannting to for David Lloyd Leause;
A missing requirement on their job ad is “must adore all things fitness” otherwise you won’t “fit in”. If you can’t talk steroids, workouts or protein bars you won’t be in the clique of gym rats that work there, even less if you’re not physically fit.Management weren’t great at listening especially if you had a problem with another manager or their longer serving/favourite team member, side-taking would happen/their word against yours always chosen unless hard proof was given.The worst it got was a member of staff taking pictures of their close-down to prove how they’d left it, their work being criticised in group chats and in front of club members/other members of management staff, notes about their shift pinned on a notice board in the department staff room and being sabotaged to the point where “jumped before they were pushed”.The job itself was simple enough and a lot of fun, a great first job for a teenager as I started around 17 and was there for almost 3 years, it was the staff that let it down.
Pros
Discount on food and drink
Cons
Bad staff
Favouritism is rife! If you are liked, then you get the easy shifts and are made to open the kitchen, otherwise you end up closing on all your shifts!... Huge kitchen to clean. Distribution of work load is very unfair, and kitchen manager only interested in posting rubbish on WhatsApp group chats constantly, while ignoring the real issues... Others just prefer to use their phones and go on constant cigarette breaks throughout their shifts... Lots of lazy FOH staff passing on their chores to kitchen staff... A joke!
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
No free lunches, no breaks sometimes, poor pay for amount of work involved .
If you want to work somewhere that puts you at risk, pays you poorly, treats you like you're a child or subordinate then this is the place for you. If you are comfortable being lodged in a rich person's rectal region and willing to bend over backwards for you I can not recommend this place well enough for you
Pros
Finishing shift
Cons
Turning up
Nice place of work , not very well paid in my role Ok if your just starting out for experience Your there to line the pockets of the owners Not to make a career for yourself .Cheap labour .
Pros
Free membership, discounts
Cons
Work hard for nothing
Work environment is toxic, no one raises issues to anyone’s face. Instead everyone talks behind each other’s backs. Manger left 1 month into his job because the GM was unbearable. Hamsters could do the work it’s that easy. 1 hour here felt like a month. No incentive to work in sales because they took away all the commission meaning you get paid peanuts
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Everything else
Great benefits, lovely work environment, lovely colleagues and members. Everyone is helpful, friendly and supportive. Uniform supplied. Very good reputation.
Pros
Discounts free membership
Cons
Was treated terribly by manager who didn’t give me any support, even put me on a performance improvement plan and have no extra training or anything like that. They treat their staff disgustingly, I’m not the only one.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Everything else
My time at David Lloyd Leisure was amazing, I will be looking back at it with great fondness. The job is relaxed but challenging at the same time, managers are professional but down to earth and really care about you, work culture is outstanding, great team spirit, everyone helps each other and it felt like we were one big family working together. I highly recommend working there.
Pros
Free membership, uncapped comission, great team spirit
Cons
Working at weekends (not all the time) and occasional late shifts
Job was OK. Staff were really lovely. Management spoilt atmosphere. You shouldn't have to go to work and worry about what mood your manager is in. Manager will stand by and watch you all crumble if it gets busy as never enough staff on. This was just one in particular. One bad seed doesn't reflect every department.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
cliquey
Clicky groups slag you out behind your back then have the cheek to start drama within staff he said she said rubbish Very childish management You can do a good job above and beyond and it’s not going to be noticed Worse part is they try getting you to do their jobs saying it’s what you need to be doing when it’s in fact not Back stabbing and
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
You have to work with snakes
Business culture in DL is great they take care of their employees. Job is usually not stressful but the money is not enough for a living. Everything else is fine you have all the benefits of using all the services that they provide, you have a food discount, you can bring one member for free,... Management is there to help you, everything except the salary is great.
Such a shame . D.L. put so much money into facilities busy senior Mgment are solely career driven and forget how important staff and general honesty matters . Great team spirit among staff , but not appreciated by hierarchy who Lie to further their own ambitions
When I 1st started it was very good. As ever, change of management resulted in a stressful and depressing place of work. Severely underpaid for what they expect.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Underpaid
Amazing place to work just lack of progression, really do love working for David Lloyld great atmosphere, good team of staff, good vibes, just not sure about the place after the pandemic
Pros
Great people
Cons
Lack of progression
I applied for David Lloyd Leisure on a whim and didn't know much about the company but after a number of months in the role I can't Recommend them any higher to any of my friends or family. I came to David Lloyd lesuire after a terrible experience of a sales environment Job but after joining David llyod I was trained and taught to push myself as well as helping me improve within my job with support from both my colleagues and management. I am happy to say I work for David Lloyd and enjoy my daily work life as everyday is different.
Pros
Supportive, Competitive, Friendly, Commission scheme
Cons
With change in management when I was there, it had 2 sides some where I learnt a lot and progressed massively to somewhere I was made to feel unwelcome and truth is they will only ever care about how much money they make David Lloyd and not you