Debenhams
Happiness score is 67 out of 100

Debenhams Employee Reviews

Found 2,481 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,677 reviews

Productive but tiring

Productive, fast paced, competitive work place. The staff were friendly and gave thorough training. Long hours with a lot of standing around. Can get boring when quiet.

Cons

Great company to work for, great people and great managementValuable experience Great trainingGreat staff discountsDebenhams was a great company to work for.

Good Great

Great working environment everything is was okay what you expect from working retail nothing much more to put. Got shut down due to the pandemicbjfjfjccb

Pros

Bread

Cons

Shift

Fast paced, good people

Learned every aspect of working in the cafe. as christmas cover felt got treat differnently to other member of staff. Good for a part time student job

Pros

short shift, flexible rota

Cons

short contract

Staff were great but it was hard work

I enjoyed working with the staff some of management didnt pull there weight the store was great but you got to work hard for the money the store situated I a good place the atmosphere was good cos the staff are. Hard working

Pros

Cons

Hard work

Fun place to work

Staff all get along, great atmosphere. 20% discount and double discount events leading up to Christmas, advanced knowledge of upcoming sales and offers shared with staff.

Helpful, friendly and enjoyable

It's a fun environment to work in because the staff are very friendly and helpful to you, the management are understanding and also know what they are doing plus the customers are actually nice friendly people most of the time.

Pros

Staff, pay, lunch

Cons

Not enough hours sometimes

Average place to work but nice people overall

Shame it closed down but I didn't really enjoy my time at Debenhams. It was a temporary that just lasted longer as I got lazy. You were always expected to do overtime and made to feel bad when you said no as they always needed people due to the high absent rates . Very stressful dealing with some of the Managers who never seem happy or satisfied with the staff they had. Took redundancy in 2020 but only got a small sum due to the Company going into liquidation so other bit of bad luck. Good deals and you meet nice returning customers.

Pros

Nice people good area good staff discount

Cons

Part time hours spread over 5 days, always expected to be available if your part time and to work overnights which were exhausting

A very structured company

I worked for Debenhams for 13 years, at times it was tough, as not enough staff and lots to do especially when a promotion was due.I started on Lingerie and can honestly say I worked on nearly every dept in the store, I gained a lot of experience and made a lot of friends.I loved my time there and would go back in a heartbeat.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Pushed for staff

Debenhams no longer trading

I worked at debenhams for a number of years and enjoyed it immensely However, I thought you would know that debenhams went into administration last year and closed all stores.

Cons

All stores clsed down. Debenhams now only online

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Debenhams?

Not bad

OK place to work if your face fits.Good training just not a lot of time to put into action.Store manager was....No wonder it has now left high street lots of wasted hours in the store doing changes and this stupit competition called model store about the best shop but no regard for sales or service.

Fun great people to work with on the floor Management ok but could improve

Good kind people. Physically hard at time but good fun. Customer are great. Work variety leant alot colleagues on a good day willing to teach. would have loved to have stayed

Pros

Good discount

Cons

Little pay

A good place to work

Helping customers going the extra mile it gives you great pleasure to see customers appreciate you wallis was a great company to work for always busy and tasks done every day

Good first Job

Working at debenhams was a great experience to encounter different experiences and people each day and learn new things day in/out as a first job. The management were okay a little rude on times but overall I couldn’t complain. Great first job and workplace culture and environment is amazing as everyone was so friendly!

Pros

Great to meet new people

Fun workplace

My first ever work place and it was absolutely great to work in a fast paced environment like that. Taught me a lot of things about retail and customer service overall.

So glad I got to work here

Worked here for about 6 months, left just before it closed. Everyone was like a family, we all looked out for each other. It was an amazing opportunity.

Pros

Good breaks, great work environment

Good experience

I worked as a sales assistant for 2 years. I was willing to stay longer but due to pregnancy complications I had to leave. The hours were good and I was lucky to work at school times.

The best job in the world

I absolutely loved working at Debenhams. It was the best job I have ever had. In the 5 and half years that I was there, I felt I have grown confident as a person and I feel like my true personality had shone through. I could just be myself. Everyone was friendly and we all worked well as a team. I enjoyed serving all of the customers, good and bad one. Each customer is a different character, which I loved.It was just a massive shock when we was told that we were all going to loose our jobs and the stores were going to close.When we was told that boohoo had brought the name but not the stores, we all couldn't believe it, we all know that mostly everything is online now a days, but when it happens to you and your colleagues, it's still a massive shock. When I saw the advert for Debenhams.com, I felt as though I had been cheated. And couldn't believe the complaints that were said about the website that boohoo had set up.Overall I absolutely loved working at Debenhams, and if they were to go back and reopen all the stores again, I would go back in an instant.

Pros

Fantastic colleagues, good work place, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Being made redundant due to the stores all closing

like a family

everyone helped each other out where they could on sales floor, in back of house from store manager to cleaners. It was a friendly place to work, the work could vary on a day to day basis.

workplace culture

The workplace culture was good amongst my work colleagues and me. We would help and advise each other. Freely give support if needed.Sometimes you would have the one bad customer, which could get you down, but we would always support each other on those days.

Pros

people, location

Cons

hours.

It’s ok working

Work in the children wear department, learn a lot of new things, the supervisor was not helpful at all, Training was not that great and to clock in you to start your shift you have to use the till and if all till are busy you have to wait which were ridiculous.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Debenhams. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement

Compare Debenhams with

• Debenhams
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?