Debra

Debra Employee Reviews for Volunteer

For a year I volunteered unpaid for Debra, Bootle Strand,Liverpool. I loved it! Fellow volunteers and store management were great, it was the best retail experience in my 6 years in the industry. I was valued, trusted, needed, and appreciated for my dynamic within the team. That store doesn't exist now because the organisation decided it wasn't performing, when we were the busiest most hardworking charity shop I knew. No management outside the store ever bothered to visit, they didn't communicate with us, and especially before or after their decision to cut us out of their regional clique for good.Our store was great. You'd have loved working there. Can't speak for the other stores.
Pros
Inclusivity and confidence building.
Cons
Out of touch company politics.
This is an unpaid volunteer position but with the prospect of learning new skills. Currently in the head office which is being transferred to another location which should be better equipped.
Pros
New skills to learn
Cons
Part time
DEBRA is a fun place to work. I love working at DEBRA and the staff and management are very friendly and easy to get along with. Depending on the day the work can be fast paced.
I love volunteering here, it is helping me boost my confidence, meet new people and learn new skills and get references for job applications. The staff are all lovely and down to earth
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
A good place to be If you want to meet lots of different people, and help a worthy charity in achieving their goals. Also no one day is the same all different and interesting.
As a volunteer, my typical day would be to test the electrical donations to see if they are fit for sale. Assist shop floor staff with large items that have been sold. The management and staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was cleaning the upholstery of armchairs and sofas. And my enjoyable part of the job, was being responsible for the testing of the electricals.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Buying your lunch locally
My time with Debra Charity Shop was incredible. I worked for three managers during my time there and each manager brought something new and innovative that improved upon the already well established culture.
Pros
Open Hours
Cons
Hygiene of Store
This was a temporary position taken voluntarily in a charity shop, I took this role during a time of unemployment to maintain experience in retail. I would recommend it for similar reasons.
I loved working here as everyone was so welcoming and inviting. The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with the different types of customers that came into the shop.
Was a lovely small shop but staff was lovely and cooperative. Friendly and lovely. Unfortunately no longer open. Staff were great had lots of fun times and taught me a lot
My typical shift consists of 11-1PM and I mostly work on the shop floor or in the stock room. I have been able to adapt swiftly and utilize my use of time well, as I deal with many customers, as I am the only cashier.
I learnt a lot about tidiness here and how best to make products look presentable on the shop floor. The back of the shop was full of stuff and hard to get around, however this was mostly to do with the sheer amount of donations we were getting.
The experience overall was good, working only a few hours helped to build my confidence and meet different types of people, it was a calm atmosphere. However, sometimes slow paced and not always many customers.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
too quiet, and few customers at times
I worked here as a volunteer for 2 months I really enjoyed my time here, the people were friendly and supportive, it helped me gain confidence as I hadn't worked for years due to illness. I helped customers on the shop floor, answered the phone, took bookings. I recommend this store highly to anyone who needs to gain experience.
Pros
Goodteam, friendly atmosphere.
My time at Debra was amazing. I always feel welcomed whenever I volunteer there. It's a hard-working job but I always enjoy it and I always enjoy seeing the charity do well.
Pros
Good experience of working with the public.
Cons
It was a Fun and insightful project while at college. It helped us get more involved within the work because it was all down to us with our ideas on hotw we can support debra which my group decided to do a cake sale. The most enjoyable part was acutally selling the cakes trying to provide a good selling point and having a laugh and a smile with potential costumers, we did end up selling all our cakes and having to go and buy more to sell. The hardest was the beginning trying to come up with ideas of what to do because we was a mixed up group that never really spoken much before but once we broke through that barrier it got a lot easier and fun with the work.
THe idea of this particular charity seems like a good one. Downside the current manager is gullible enough to let herself get manipulated by some fool whos supplying her with the dodgy/special cigaretes
Cons
Some other members of volanteer staff
overall a really good workplace to develop work skills and to get a taste of customer service and retail. my co-workers were really nice and the manager was brilliant too. she taught me how to use tills and how to sort out the stock. the most enjoyable part personally was working on the tills and communicating with all the customers that came in. started here on my 16th birthday and did this for a few months and then finished and then i worked here again as part of my traineeship for college (nov-dec 2014)
Pros
Free unlimited brews
Cons
Often got accused of things i didnt do so had to leave
Each day I came into work, I had to sign my name and the time I arrived (safety reasons). I would polish some furniture, steam clothes that had to be put on hangers. My co-workers were very friendly and welcoming. Hardest part of the job was moving large furniture. Most enjoyable part of the job was I was able to have a laugh while getting the job done.
Pros
Everyone was friendly
I learnt about charity shops and how they help that charity and an everyday life in the shop. There were lots to do I got experience in all parts of the shop. I didn't find anything hard as at the time I was about 14 so was only allowed to do limited parts in the shop. I did enjoy just being able to help and able to show that I'm willing to do or try different things out.
Pros
not working long hours
Cons
trying to clean when people in the shop
Helping Customers, Learning English, improving listening skills, Learn how to communicate with other people if they are stuck. Its for charity which is nice.