Debra

Debra Employee Reviews

For a year I volunteered unpaid for Debra, Bootle Strand,Liverpool. I loved it! Fellow volunteers and store management were great, it was the best retail experience in my 6 years in the industry. I was valued, trusted, needed, and appreciated for my dynamic within the team. That store doesn't exist now because the organisation decided it wasn't performing, when we were the busiest most hardworking charity shop I knew. No management outside the store ever bothered to visit, they didn't communicate with us, and especially before or after their decision to cut us out of their regional clique for good.Our store was great. You'd have loved working there. Can't speak for the other stores.
Pros
Inclusivity and confidence building.
Cons
Out of touch company politics.
Don’t do it they claim they support and are there for there staff it’s a lie charity is brilliant management is the problem there rude treat you with no respect
Pros
Customers are amazing with the quality of donations to the chairty
Cons
The higher management
I had four good years with debra,and can honestly say i gained a massive amount of experience with this company, i'm not the most confident person but working with debra really brought me out of my shell,i dont really have any bad points about working there,i started as a volunteer and ended my career as a manager so there is potential to progress with this company.
Pros
Good upper management
Cons
Lots of paper work (managers only)
Every area manager changes the way things are done every few months as this is how often they change area manager. No flexibility is given to staff whatsoever. They all seem eager to prove themselves and are not well trained.The management expects too much from the staff who are usually lone working and dont get their unpaid lunch hour.Some days the pressure was unbearable and my immediate shop manager agreed.The volunteers are great and the majority of the workers are usually community service. I was once given a serious offender to work alone with that was registered. No training was received to work with community service who of course didn't want to work. I wouldnt really say there is any perks at all to this minimum wage job and there is a lot of work to be done with little thanks at all from upper management. No understanding whatsoever when mistakes are made because you are to thinly stretched. I wouldnt recommend working here for more than a few months.
Pros
Cons
under appreciated and pressured to the point of illness.
I don't have much to say but do your job as best as you can each shop has a different way of doing things I like working there until I find a job that I'm qualified for
Manager was rude, unprofessional and brought her moods to work. If in a bad mood, you were treated as a nobody, and spoken to like dirt. If mistakes were made, whether your fault or not, blamed for it anyway. Not worth it whatsoever
Pros
Hours
Cons
Don't care about their staff
No support. Senior team blame culture. No training or induction. Set you up to fail Waste charity money on non value added meetings. Very expensive head office.
This is an unpaid volunteer position but with the prospect of learning new skills. Currently in the head office which is being transferred to another location which should be better equipped.
Pros
New skills to learn
Cons
Part time
DEBRA is a fun place to work. I love working at DEBRA and the staff and management are very friendly and easy to get along with. Depending on the day the work can be fast paced.
A very supportive workplace from the area manager down. A busy and challenging place at times but very rewarding and lovely team at the two places I have been at.
I felt that I was doing a lot more than you should have been for a volunteering position. But the company were good. I did enjoy the work, but it was heavy lifting and very manual work. The team were nice and friendly
Currently an Assistant Manager. Looking to leave ASAP. Chances of promotion 0. Appreciation for the work you do 0. The pay doesn’t reflect on the amount of work you have to do. I’ve never felt so depressed about a job I’ve done. They don’t care about the “little people”. As long as the upper management get their bonuses, that’s all they care about.
As an assistant manager for 7 yrs I can honestly say I have never worked for such a poor company. Management donot care about there staff. We are constantly bombarded with new ways to work then a few weeks later a better ! Method comes along. It is is fast turning into a bullying atmosphere.
I really enjoyed volunteering here, I would recommend it for anyone who has any free time or needs some work experience. You can either choose to work in the back or on the till and are very positive on helping you if you suffer with anxiety or other mental/physical illness's.
Fun environment to be in get to meet friendly people who come and visit the charity shop to buy furniture and what ever is raised goes to the Debra charity.
I love volunteering here, it is helping me boost my confidence, meet new people and learn new skills and get references for job applications. The staff are all lovely and down to earth
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
A good place to be If you want to meet lots of different people, and help a worthy charity in achieving their goals. Also no one day is the same all different and interesting.
A warm, welcoming environment to be in, whilst learning tools that will help you in future jobs; whilst working here I felt comfortable and that I was being managed appropriately
The organization is truly set on reaching it's goals for helping those in need. It has stores across the country all dedicated to reaching the same goals, with teams of management and volunteers all working in unison for the bigger picture.
I am a volunteer 2 days a week in a charity shop selling donated clothes and other items. I enjoy interacting with customers and being able to assist people. I have learned how to use the till system and have got back into the routine of attending a work place after a long break due to having my daughter.
very hard work which is fine but unless you happen to brown nose with the area manager your pretty much not worth the effort . Lot of hours for little pay. Very upsetting that after loyal service management wouldn't actually listen to what you had to say chosen to believe others when you would hope they wold know you well eniugh
  1. Employee reviews