Debra

Debra Culture reviews

For a year I volunteered unpaid for Debra, Bootle Strand,Liverpool. I loved it! Fellow volunteers and store management were great, it was the best retail experience in my 6 years in the industry. I was valued, trusted, needed, and appreciated for my dynamic within the team. That store doesn't exist now because the organisation decided it wasn't performing, when we were the busiest most hardworking charity shop I knew. No management outside the store ever bothered to visit, they didn't communicate with us, and especially before or after their decision to cut us out of their regional clique for good.Our store was great. You'd have loved working there. Can't speak for the other stores.
Pros
Inclusivity and confidence building.
Cons
Out of touch company politics.
Don’t do it they claim they support and are there for there staff it’s a lie charity is brilliant management is the problem there rude treat you with no respect
Pros
Customers are amazing with the quality of donations to the chairty
Cons
The higher management
No support. Senior team blame culture. No training or induction. Set you up to fail Waste charity money on non value added meetings. Very expensive head office.
A very supportive workplace from the area manager down. A busy and challenging place at times but very rewarding and lovely team at the two places I have been at.
I love volunteering here, it is helping me boost my confidence, meet new people and learn new skills and get references for job applications. The staff are all lovely and down to earth
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
A good place to be If you want to meet lots of different people, and help a worthy charity in achieving their goals. Also no one day is the same all different and interesting.
The organization is truly set on reaching it's goals for helping those in need. It has stores across the country all dedicated to reaching the same goals, with teams of management and volunteers all working in unison for the bigger picture.
Having the temporary job at , DEBRA Charity Shop , have me a boost of confidence. It’s a nice and kind place to work , all the workers are very nice and polite also helpful.
Cons
Not long hours
Never treated with respect from higher management and always expected to work extra for no pay. I had amazing volunteers and never were they shown the respect they diserved the office staff were more interested in a jolly up which they did regularly that went right to the top . I would never work for a charity again because there’s no charity there .
Pros
Non
Cons
No respect
Got sent to Debra's by job centre for work experience really enjoyable work. Nice friendly staff, good management. Very busy little shop friendly customers
Pros
Free drinks and teabreaks breaks whenever you want one
Cons
Not a paid job
such a great charity to work for, all staff are welcoming and friendly, the customers are great to talk to. you get a great sense of achievement by volunteering
My time with Debra Charity Shop was incredible. I worked for three managers during my time there and each manager brought something new and innovative that improved upon the already well established culture.
Pros
Open Hours
Cons
Hygiene of Store
I would be responsible for opening and closing the business and dealing with customer enquiries. Working as part of a team is one of the highlights. In this role I learnt how to deal with people from all different backgrounds and work on own initiative when working alone when times got busy. Important organisational skills were required and fast thinking on problem solving such as when queues got long and customers became frustrated. Hardest part was dealing with difficult customers, this requires patience and fast action to dealing with the issue at hand. The work culture was like a family, some colleagues you loved and disliked but you found a way to get along to do the job required. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting different people from all walks of life.
Pros
learning about people from all different backgrounds
Cons
high pressure job
The typical day involved the sorting of diverse goods donated to the shop - clothes, books, bric-a-brac, furniture, electrical goods, CDs and DVDs, all and sundry. I learned much about the pleasures of dealing with people and building up a rapport with them. Managers of the shop itself were very hard working and made all staff welcome. They were a pleasure to work with. Workplace culture I don't know what you mean!! The hardest part of the job was moving heavy furniture about, although you learned ways of dealing with this. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers, seeing their enjoyment when they found something which they particularly wanted, and making a good contribution to the charity by way of knowledgeable pricing.
Pros
Good relationships with customers. Enjoyable workload.
Cons
Poor upper level management of permanent staff.
I loved working here as everyone was so welcoming and inviting. The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with the different types of customers that came into the shop.
Was a lovely small shop but staff was lovely and cooperative. Friendly and lovely. Unfortunately no longer open. Staff were great had lots of fun times and taught me a lot
was a very quite and calm work place some lovely people i met in the process of being there. i really enjoyed working in the shop and meeting all the regular customers.
Debra Charity was a great place to work. I developed customer service, till work and working as part of a team. I loved working there, I worked with amazing people.
I enjoyed satisfying the customers. I enjoyed learning new things. I enjoyed working as a team. The hardest part was leaving the job because i enjoyed it so much.
the most enjoyable part of the job was retail displays the people that worked there were lovely and i enjoyed it anyone that volunteers here will love it thankyoou
Pros
nice lunch hours
Cons
sometimes day went slow
i did work experience here and it was brilliant the people are lovely and its like one big family!! i learned so much working there and its down to the management