Debra

Debra Job security & advancement reviews

For a year I volunteered unpaid for Debra, Bootle Strand,Liverpool. I loved it! Fellow volunteers and store management were great, it was the best retail experience in my 6 years in the industry. I was valued, trusted, needed, and appreciated for my dynamic within the team. That store doesn't exist now because the organisation decided it wasn't performing, when we were the busiest most hardworking charity shop I knew. No management outside the store ever bothered to visit, they didn't communicate with us, and especially before or after their decision to cut us out of their regional clique for good.Our store was great. You'd have loved working there. Can't speak for the other stores.
Pros
Inclusivity and confidence building.
Cons
Out of touch company politics.
I had four good years with debra,and can honestly say i gained a massive amount of experience with this company, i'm not the most confident person but working with debra really brought me out of my shell,i dont really have any bad points about working there,i started as a volunteer and ended my career as a manager so there is potential to progress with this company.
Pros
Good upper management
Cons
Lots of paper work (managers only)
This is an unpaid volunteer position but with the prospect of learning new skills. Currently in the head office which is being transferred to another location which should be better equipped.
Pros
New skills to learn
Cons
Part time
I felt that I was doing a lot more than you should have been for a volunteering position. But the company were good. I did enjoy the work, but it was heavy lifting and very manual work. The team were nice and friendly
Currently an Assistant Manager. Looking to leave ASAP. Chances of promotion 0. Appreciation for the work you do 0. The pay doesn’t reflect on the amount of work you have to do. I’ve never felt so depressed about a job I’ve done. They don’t care about the “little people”. As long as the upper management get their bonuses, that’s all they care about.
As an assistant manager for 7 yrs I can honestly say I have never worked for such a poor company. Management donot care about there staff. We are constantly bombarded with new ways to work then a few weeks later a better ! Method comes along. It is is fast turning into a bullying atmosphere.
I really enjoyed volunteering here, I would recommend it for anyone who has any free time or needs some work experience. You can either choose to work in the back or on the till and are very positive on helping you if you suffer with anxiety or other mental/physical illness's.
Fun environment to be in get to meet friendly people who come and visit the charity shop to buy furniture and what ever is raised goes to the Debra charity.
I love volunteering here, it is helping me boost my confidence, meet new people and learn new skills and get references for job applications. The staff are all lovely and down to earth
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Debra is a great place to work, really brought me out of my shell and gives you every opportunity to advance when job opportunity's become available, brilliant when it comes to me having a small child and make it really easy for me if for what ever reason I cant make it
Pros
brilliant staff
Cons
wouldn't work for again. lunch break were not ideal, punished if went for lunch if left in shop alone. area management was for too demanding asked too too many jobs at one time.
I was here as a temp over the summer. The people were welcoming and friendly. The work was varied and interesting - although it was entry level. I left to get a permanent job with the security and benefits that provides.
Pros
fairly flexible working hours
Cons
nowhere to go at lunch time, nightmare to get to on public transport
For work experience/volunteering it was a good start to my future career choices and has helped me view the working world much differently, in a good way.
Pros
Charity work
Cons
Volunteering doesn't pay
My time with Debra Charity Shop was incredible. I worked for three managers during my time there and each manager brought something new and innovative that improved upon the already well established culture.
Pros
Open Hours
Cons
Hygiene of Store
As I only worked here as a volunteer I wasn't contracted to many hours, however my time there was very pleasant. It is quiet, so suited to people who are maybe shy or not confident in retail yet. There is always something cool in the store as well like typewriters and vintage clothes.
Pros
Goes by relatively quick, not too full on
Cons
Can be too quiet
This was a temporary position taken voluntarily in a charity shop, I took this role during a time of unemployment to maintain experience in retail. I would recommend it for similar reasons.
The shop was a nice place to work in. The manager was always kind and helpful. Although I was working here with no choice on the matter, as the position was chosen for me by the job center who appointed me the job to work for my job seekers allowance benefit. I am just thankful that the place i was forced to work was pleasant.
Pros
work experience
Cons
long hours for no extra money
Lone working often if volunteers don't turn up ...shop closures as councils don't give charities big discounts on rent and rates ...overall enjoyable working for a charity but job security not so good
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Lone working
Got to do a lot of roles and there is a lot of freedom to do what you need for your CV, eg working on tills/window displays etc. Frequently changing management and staff
I enjoyed satisfying the customers. I enjoyed learning new things. I enjoyed working as a team. The hardest part was leaving the job because i enjoyed it so much.
Fast paced, fun, creative and constantly changing - no two days were the same. Working with pre - loved items and making sure to raise as much money and awareness for the Debra Charity.
  1. Job Security & Advancement