Debra

Debra Management reviews

For a year I volunteered unpaid for Debra, Bootle Strand,Liverpool. I loved it! Fellow volunteers and store management were great, it was the best retail experience in my 6 years in the industry. I was valued, trusted, needed, and appreciated for my dynamic within the team. That store doesn't exist now because the organisation decided it wasn't performing, when we were the busiest most hardworking charity shop I knew. No management outside the store ever bothered to visit, they didn't communicate with us, and especially before or after their decision to cut us out of their regional clique for good.Our store was great. You'd have loved working there. Can't speak for the other stores.
Pros
Inclusivity and confidence building.
Cons
Out of touch company politics.
Don’t do it they claim they support and are there for there staff it’s a lie charity is brilliant management is the problem there rude treat you with no respect
Pros
Customers are amazing with the quality of donations to the chairty
Cons
The higher management
I had four good years with debra,and can honestly say i gained a massive amount of experience with this company, i'm not the most confident person but working with debra really brought me out of my shell,i dont really have any bad points about working there,i started as a volunteer and ended my career as a manager so there is potential to progress with this company.
Pros
Good upper management
Cons
Lots of paper work (managers only)
Every area manager changes the way things are done every few months as this is how often they change area manager. No flexibility is given to staff whatsoever. They all seem eager to prove themselves and are not well trained.The management expects too much from the staff who are usually lone working and dont get their unpaid lunch hour.Some days the pressure was unbearable and my immediate shop manager agreed.The volunteers are great and the majority of the workers are usually community service. I was once given a serious offender to work alone with that was registered. No training was received to work with community service who of course didn't want to work. I wouldnt really say there is any perks at all to this minimum wage job and there is a lot of work to be done with little thanks at all from upper management. No understanding whatsoever when mistakes are made because you are to thinly stretched. I wouldnt recommend working here for more than a few months.
Pros
Cons
under appreciated and pressured to the point of illness.
I don't have much to say but do your job as best as you can each shop has a different way of doing things I like working there until I find a job that I'm qualified for
Manager was rude, unprofessional and brought her moods to work. If in a bad mood, you were treated as a nobody, and spoken to like dirt. If mistakes were made, whether your fault or not, blamed for it anyway. Not worth it whatsoever
Pros
Hours
Cons
Don't care about their staff
DEBRA is a fun place to work. I love working at DEBRA and the staff and management are very friendly and easy to get along with. Depending on the day the work can be fast paced.
Currently an Assistant Manager. Looking to leave ASAP. Chances of promotion 0. Appreciation for the work you do 0. The pay doesn’t reflect on the amount of work you have to do. I’ve never felt so depressed about a job I’ve done. They don’t care about the “little people”. As long as the upper management get their bonuses, that’s all they care about.
As an assistant manager for 7 yrs I can honestly say I have never worked for such a poor company. Management donot care about there staff. We are constantly bombarded with new ways to work then a few weeks later a better ! Method comes along. It is is fast turning into a bullying atmosphere.
The organization is truly set on reaching it's goals for helping those in need. It has stores across the country all dedicated to reaching the same goals, with teams of management and volunteers all working in unison for the bigger picture.
very hard work which is fine but unless you happen to brown nose with the area manager your pretty much not worth the effort . Lot of hours for little pay. Very upsetting that after loyal service management wouldn't actually listen to what you had to say chosen to believe others when you would hope they wold know you well eniugh
Never treated with respect from higher management and always expected to work extra for no pay. I had amazing volunteers and never were they shown the respect they diserved the office staff were more interested in a jolly up which they did regularly that went right to the top . I would never work for a charity again because there’s no charity there .
Pros
Non
Cons
No respect
Got sent to Debra's by job centre for work experience really enjoyable work. Nice friendly staff, good management. Very busy little shop friendly customers
Pros
Free drinks and teabreaks breaks whenever you want one
Cons
Not a paid job
Love the volunteers we have great customers too. Terrible management no support or appreciation for the work we do. A lot of heavy lifting involved. Very rarely get our unpaid lunch break.
Pros
Cons
No holiday cover...
wouldn't work for again. lunch break were not ideal, punished if went for lunch if left in shop alone. area management was for too demanding asked too too many jobs at one time.
As a volunteer, my typical day would be to test the electrical donations to see if they are fit for sale. Assist shop floor staff with large items that have been sold. The management and staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was cleaning the upholstery of armchairs and sofas. And my enjoyable part of the job, was being responsible for the testing of the electricals.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Buying your lunch locally
The typical day involved the sorting of diverse goods donated to the shop - clothes, books, bric-a-brac, furniture, electrical goods, CDs and DVDs, all and sundry. I learned much about the pleasures of dealing with people and building up a rapport with them. Managers of the shop itself were very hard working and made all staff welcome. They were a pleasure to work with. Workplace culture I don't know what you mean!! The hardest part of the job was moving heavy furniture about, although you learned ways of dealing with this. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers, seeing their enjoyment when they found something which they particularly wanted, and making a good contribution to the charity by way of knowledgeable pricing.
Pros
Good relationships with customers. Enjoyable workload.
Cons
Poor upper level management of permanent staff.
Debra Charity shop was for a great cause. because of the location of the shop, there was never a lot of customers and there was frequently nothing to do. the management was lovely and the staff was too.
Excellent management and staff friendly and excellent work place a real shame I was only there to work voluntary for a short period need to invest in long term staff
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
voluntary jobs only
Got to do a lot of roles and there is a lot of freedom to do what you need for your CV, eg working on tills/window displays etc. Frequently changing management and staff
as far as working there goes it was alright for a while but as it is volunteer work I didn't much like it as I like to get paid at the end of the month like the rest of the population. management was good until new management took over then it was just unbearable
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything