Debra

Debra Work-life balance reviews

I was here as a temp over the summer. The people were welcoming and friendly. The work was varied and interesting - although it was entry level. I left to get a permanent job with the security and benefits that provides.
Pros
fairly flexible working hours
Cons
nowhere to go at lunch time, nightmare to get to on public transport
very hard work which is fine but unless you happen to brown nose with the area manager your pretty much not worth the effort . Lot of hours for little pay. Very upsetting that after loyal service management wouldn't actually listen to what you had to say chosen to believe others when you would hope they wold know you well eniugh
Having the temporary job at , DEBRA Charity Shop , have me a boost of confidence. It’s a nice and kind place to work , all the workers are very nice and polite also helpful.
Cons
Not long hours
Debra is a great place to work, really brought me out of my shell and gives you every opportunity to advance when job opportunity's become available, brilliant when it comes to me having a small child and make it really easy for me if for what ever reason I cant make it
Pros
brilliant staff
Cons
This is a great place to work and they look after their employees. The wages were good. I worked hard for this employer. They gave you a bonus if you worked hard
Pros
Cons
long hours hard work
The shop was a nice place to work in. The manager was always kind and helpful. Although I was working here with no choice on the matter, as the position was chosen for me by the job center who appointed me the job to work for my job seekers allowance benefit. I am just thankful that the place i was forced to work was pleasant.
Pros
work experience
Cons
long hours for no extra money
Steaming Clothes Ready Too Put Out,How Too Use The Steamer And When Too Fill It,Very Friendly And Easy Too Talk Too,Charity Shop,The Till,Working With The Staff
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Long Hours
On a typical day, you would sign in, then do the banking, answer phones to book in collections of furniture and answer customer queries, as well as keep things tidy (you can ask volunteers to do this) and book in deliveries. The volunteers were lovely and fun to chat to. It was difficult at times as some days you were on your own in the shop and if you made a small mistake, it could have quite a big impact eg. forgetting to put a sold label on an item meant it wouldn't be sent out to the customer with the other items, meaning the charity would have to pay out more money to send out the forgotten item. There were some issues that I had with people there which caused me to leave, but that was only my specific store and of course can't be said for all Debra stores.
Pros
1 hour lunch break, good pay and lots of things to do
Cons
Very fast-paced and challenging at times
My typical shift consists of 11-1PM and I mostly work on the shop floor or in the stock room. I have been able to adapt swiftly and utilize my use of time well, as I deal with many customers, as I am the only cashier.
When I moved to Warrington I started volunteering and it was best thing I did the staff are amazing and it's like one big family
I was mostly operating the till, cash handling and serving customers which i enjoyed. The management was very friendly and helpful. My co-workers were also very friendly and helpful. The most enjoyable bit of the job was operating the till because i got to speak to the customers and help them if they needed it.
Pros
Great team
Cons
I learned how to work around a stock room. It was boring. Oh it was boring. By the way it was boring. The staff were boring. Oh, forgot to mention it was pretty boring.
My time at Debra was amazing. I always feel welcomed whenever I volunteer there. It's a hard-working job but I always enjoy it and I always enjoy seeing the charity do well.
Pros
Good experience of working with the public.
Cons
I learned so many things, stimming, colaboration with customer, self confidence, working in a desk. the management was so good very nice and clever, the hardest part for was working in desk but sorted it at the end. most enjoying was in my break time because i was doing me small workout.
Pros
free tea/coffee
Cons
long hours depends
the only thing I did not like was that the nicked my watch and I was ill and I phoned in and I got told if I was not in work in10 mins I was gone
Pros
free t-shuit
Cons
- Voluntary work so no pay - Days seem to take forever - Can be very boring - I learned how to change a plug - The hardest part of the job was to rotate the stock according to its date that it was put out on the shelf
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Pay
Great time here. Staff moral very high and always busy manually. Xmas bonus great with 2 weeks off. Company put you through certain courses applicable to job.
Pros
Mon - Fri
Cons
Job security
In this job I feel that my function is so important to raise money for care of people suffering the EB disease and research to find cures.
Pros
the volunteers
Cons
to work more hours than the onces that they pay me
I learnt about charity shops and how they help that charity and an everyday life in the shop. There were lots to do I got experience in all parts of the shop. I didn't find anything hard as at the time I was about 14 so was only allowed to do limited parts in the shop. I did enjoy just being able to help and able to show that I'm willing to do or try different things out.
Pros
not working long hours
Cons
trying to clean when people in the shop
Sort items on the shelves around the store and speak to customers who need help. I learned customer service skills and how to approach or respond to customers. The management was fine and understandable with the times I couldn't work. Didn't see the co-workers much as I was only in on a Friday. When I did see them they were easy to speak to. No part of the job was hard. Speaking to new customers.
Pros
only working on friday, nice team ethic
Cons
work experience
I would go in Monday to Friday, start from 10am and finish at 4pm. I would always look and see what other people were doing. If there were enough people doing that job, I'd ask the manager if there were anything needed done that she'd maybe want done. Tasks varied from half an hour to an hour sometimes. You got half an hour for a lunch break, whether it was 12.30pm-1pm or 1pm-1.30pm. By 4pm I'd sign out then leave for home. I learned a lot. I certainly gained a lot of skills. I also learned that you will come across people that are not easy to get on with. Even though I knew that already, I didn't realise just how much of an atmosphere that it can create. Management were fine. I got on great with the manager of the shop and I got on well with the managers from other stores who came in to cover while the manager of the store I was in was on holiday. My co-workers, all of them were really nice, friendly, and easy to talk to, apart from two, who just happened to be Key Volunteers. When the manager would be away, the two Key Volunteers (one being a girl who I was warned about before I started, who thought she could just boss anybody the way she liked, the other being a boy who had an Assistant Manager job outside of the shop and acted as if he were the boss when he wasn't) would be in charge and their methods were shockingly terrible and not what should even be in a working environment. I actually had one terrible day of them being in charge I actually went to my advisor at the JobCentre to get advice on how to professionally deal with the issue. Thankfully nothing more happened, - more...
Pros
Being able to help people, made some friends, brilliant for gaining experience
Cons
Can drag on a little, the attitude of certain staff, sometimes hardly any work to do and you get made to feel sometimes you're not working hard enough
  1. Work-Life Balance