Decathlon
Happiness score is 67 out of 100

Decathlon Employee Reviews

Found 183 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,586 reviews

Job role isnt what you're told it is

The job role is highly exciting, however the mismanagement of the store 340 is very clear to see within a short time frame. The department managers do their best, however they are hampered by an insanely high staff turnover rate and upper management is not committed to helping rectify this, instead focusing purely on productivity and the bottom line. The role pitched was different to reality as well and although I was given the opportunity to create my job role, due to the fact work started in peak season, and then had staffing issues, I was unable to delve into that side of the role until a couple of weeks ago. Once I got the ball rolling you could see the development, however the store manager doesn't believe it was quick enough and this is a theme all department management have had to go through. Alot of opportunities to expand around the country, would highly recommend to staff who wish to travel or meet new people. Once staffing issues and organisation is settled then it would be a fantastic opportunity

Pros

Progression opportunies, staff culture, store events

Cons

Not enough training, poor communications, micro management, not enough support

Poor Management, Fired without Warning

Worked my Butt off bringing a new store up, working 5-6 days a week, but magically coming to end of my 3rd month they Fire me, Most Of the Management spent their time sitting on there Backsides on the Computer, Management are at each others throats like its a competition. If you are English you have no chance in this company!!!!They make you do all the work while they live the luxury life of highly paid sit on their Backsides, If you work part time they will threaten you with the sack unless you pick up more hours, 6 month probation is just typical of a company to fire someone for no reason before that

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Hours, Pay, Management Bullying

Productive workplace but poorly managed

Not a bad place to work overall, in the mornings there were a lot to do. The staff were really friendly at the beginning. The management is shocking though, you hardly see the manager.

Pros

Built relationships with customers

Cons

Poor management and working conditions

Poor management and HR policies

I found during my time that poor management is a reoccurring problem for customers and staff. Complaints aren't handled well and a lot of "passing the buck" to lower members of staff or less knowledgeable customers happend a lot while I was there. Management have some very unorthodox and challenging ideas about the definition of professionalism and how to communicate with staff. There is a strong culture of nepotism among management which means any genuine issues or concerns raised, whether they are about stock or staff, are either pinned onto the person raising the question, or management will take extraordinary steps to protect other managers. As a result do not expect an impartial process during meetings, promotion or formal complaints. The rota always seems totally fluid so your shift can change the day before, and that management's days off are mysteriously always on a Saturday and Sunday. If you are highly skilled or experienced in your field don't expect pay that reflects that fairly either, just above minimum wage is the standard. They won't pay for adequate security and expect staff to try to stop shoplifters, so on top of everything else you will inevitably be faced with dangerous confrontations, although I refused to participate after this happened more than once. Some of the staff were lovely people though and I would be happy to work with them again anytime just not there.

Pros

Getting to work with people from all over the world and share experiences.

Cons

Barely competent management, bad rotas, no regard for staff.

Productive place and encouraging colleagues 👍

Development opportunities are immense and its the can do attitude which will take people forward in the right way Always, make sure that everyone engages with focus and support

Challenging but rewarding

Development opportunities are endless but ONLY once you have results in your current role. International and zig-zag careers are encouraged.Lack of centralisation makes a lot of processes fall short of expectations but the freedom also allows stores to adapt quickly and locally. This also makes the experience between stores vary massively.Salaries aren't great but are in line in line with the sports retail market.Decathlon has some very innovative tools for it's teammates including automated tills and a versatile smartphone app for the job.In Poole the store organises sport and socials 8 times per year. These include paddleboarding, bushcraft, climbing and beach BBQs.If you're SPORTY and full of ENERGY then it can be a great job or career.

Pros

Fantastic culture

Cons

Lack of organisation, salaries.

Fun place to work, you can find an amazing team (but some managers are not capable)

I worked for the company for almost one year, and I had a great time. Some people were great, and we become very close friends. Generally speaking, in the store there were good vibes, and the team was fine (even if there are different department).Some cons in the store I used to work were:1. You can find bossy department managers that they can really change the whole atmosphere. 2. In my store some sports advisors DID NOT KNOW A WORD IN ENGLISH, which was very disappointing for the customers (first) and for the rest of the team because it was impossible to communicate with them.For the rest, it's a good place to work, and as a student, my university schedule was always respected.Some days can be tedious (delivery comes every day and if it's big it's not pleasant) or too busy but for the rest good memories.

Pros

team working, nice people, good balance as a student, flexibility, some great managers

Cons

bossy managers, sports advisors that did not speak a word in english

There has to be better

Even as a small holiday job I cannot recommend. Work is slow and can get painfully monotonous, not much room to learn or grow. No way to advance, doesn't seem to be a main goal to strive towards. Always an issue with the equipment or not enough to go around and getting pushed into doing jobs you struggle with. NO safety regulations for COVID either.

Pros

Workers are generally nice, free tea.

Cons

Unsafe, No safety regulations for covid, no respect of basic warehouse safety, training isn't in depth or clear at all, extremely short 30 minute breaks on an 9 and a half hour shift.

Ungrateful downgrading and will replace you in a heart beat

No work life balance stressful no good for mental state if your not a favourite give up you won’t get anywhere they brake rules and regulations including getting rid of team mates with no warnings (written or verbal) all in disgusting place to work

Pros

Discount

Cons

Whole company

Lovely people

The job is not hard, it might be a little bit boring. The managment is good and everyone is respectful. You will have one to one with your manager every month and you have the chance to discuss your future career.

Pros

Good hours, long break

Cons

Boring

Low paid , and horrible culture

if you like working on your own 85% and having to fix everything by yourself then its good. But you will get the blame for anything done wrong. Department manager was absent all the time, co workers were part time so when they were working they could hardly make a difference in the cycling department. All they want to do is sell and not deal with faults and repairs.

Pros

Some co workers wers cool

Cons

low paid, was promised full time hours but never got them, treated like dirt even though worked your butt off.

Lo adoro, è meraviglioso

Ambiente stimolante, possibilità di crescita, libertà di espressione dei propri talenti.

Pros

Tutto

Cons

Nessuno

Awful

Extremely poor value for their staff. Not really any positives to say. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone especially students as the pay even less to students.

Awful Management. Toxic Environment.

Other staff are extremely happy to help. But management are the worst I have ever seen in a job. They dont care for your health or wellbeing and will NOT support you at all within your job. They make the workplace feel like a prison in which you must obey their orders while they sit and hide in offices all day, on personal phones while low paid staff slave around for them. PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF AND DO NOT WORK HERE UNLESS YOU LIKE TO BE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF!

Not a great place to work

I personally wouldn't recommend working at Decathlon unless you are extremely passionate about sports and the specific sport area that you are put to work in.

Great place to develop new skills and prepare you for any job in retail

During my 5 years experience within the company, I learned everything you need to know when it comes to retail, starting from recruitment, management, market analyse, merchandising until the important skill of creating your own project within the company. A company who puts the employee and the customer at the heart of every decision made in a great sporty environment .

I left crying everyday

The management are bullies. The HR department are disappointing and unhelpful in conflict resolutions. The atmosphere was horrendous, staff with multiple warnings still not working with the company. Higher management are "good friends" so turned a blind eye towards the bullying store managers. I have never worked in such a degrading and emotionally damaging atmosphere.

Environnement très motivant et agréable

J'étais stagiaire donc la paye n'était pas l'objectif premier. Les journées peuvent se ressemble si l'on ne s'investit pas, mais en tant qu'assistant manager j'ai appris beaucoup.

Promotes autonomy, freedom and responsibility at every level. Different opportunities to work in store or in head office, although head office roles are largely London based

experience depends on the manager - a bad one means misery

Most staff are fun to talk to being from all over europe, work is boring - hope you like folding, A good manager will delegate interesting tasks to you and be supportive. A bad one is usually a bully and treats you like scum. Expect a lot of blame and zero support. Poor security means lots of theft, chavs causing problems and endless mess. So the environment can be miserable due to a minority of customers who are frankly ignorant - this doesnt seem to be a problem in european stores, just british ones.

The environment at work was really nice. I really enjoyed the team with I worked. The day to day tasks were hard sometimes but it was a dynamic space helping customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Decathlon. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.7K
1.8K

3.5Job security/advancement

Compare Decathlon with

• Decathlon
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?