DEFRA

DEFRA Pay & benefits reviews

Worked at the height of the BSE crisis when scientific explanation was very contradictory. A confusing time for the food, particularly the meat industry. Could be enlivened to the Covid crisis.
Pros
A responsible respectable career status
Cons
Long hours for little reward. Slaughterhouse work is not for everyone. A lot of travelling
If you're looking for a flexible working pattern then DEFRA is for you. Very supportive of family needs as and when they crop. Great pension scheme, so if joining at any age, get in what you can.
Pros
Pension, Flexible working
Civil Service work can be boring and regimented, however there are good benefits such as pension, work/life balance, sports and social activities. There is also good flexible working opportunities.
This is a really good place to work but not through an agency as the wages are barely above minimum wage. The work is complex and the salary does not reflect the expertise required for the post.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low wages
long day due to commutelearned more about workforce planningmanagement was typical public sectorprofessional culturecommute challengingenthusiastic colleagues
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Long commute
great annual leave allowances, great flexible working hours, great pension scheme, great sick pay options. very reassuring management who provide all the necessary tools to progress in your career
I was responsible for a team of 15 office based and 8 Porters and cleaners. I dealt with a number of foreign nationals, and I learned that we may be different, but we are all the same! Maintained all financial records and Contract reports for the OfficePreparation and co-ordination of monthly reports, attending management meetings Co-ordination of all supplier invoices and ensured payments to contractual time scales Co-ordinated Additional Works requests including pricing, submission to client and payments Raised purchase orders and ensured a robust audit trail I had face to face contact with Ministers on a regular basis to discuss ways forward for billing of the department and managing reports.
Pros
the people I met
Cons
Distance from my home (was a dailey 5hr commute)
For me the work varied enormously, I was given allot of freedom in my work and eventually allot of responsibility. However the pay and the pay grades do not reflect that responsibility. Work politics and bureaucracy hinder advancement of both career and of the work itself.
Pros
Used to have a really great retirement package.
Cons
Potentially long hours and low pay.
Excellent job in which you transfer information from paper to database
Pros
A high amount of benefits
Cons
Temporary