Deichmann

Deichmann Employee Reviews

I actually enjoyed the daily tasks; I liked learning about shoe care and learning what type of shoe would suit what type of customer better. I liked serving customers and talking with them whilst wrapping and bagging their product.I found it very beneficial learning how to work my way around a warehouse setting, as they essentially had a very small warehouse for a stockroom. But that’s where the line stops. Everything else about the job I disliked. I didn’t like the working atmosphere, as I found the staff members very ‘Cliquey’, and if you weren’t exactly like them they weren’t interested in getting to know you properly. Except for two members of staff that would always make a effort to include me and ask me how my day was going etc. I found management to be very snobbish and rude at times, other times really friendly and supportive. It really just depended how they felt on the day and how long you had been working there. Also, didn’t like the fact a member of staff could get blamed for something they had not done, without even asking them first. I REALLY don’t appreciate members of staff being reprimanded and berated at the tills in front of a PACKED shop for some simple mistake. I foundIt very unprofessional indeed! Training is also lacking in a practical sense, and you’re expected to know everything after 3 days of being there. So please bare that in mind when applying to Deichmann.
Pros
Learning about shoe care, serving customers, always having something to do
Cons
Poor wage for the amount of work you do, bad workplace atmosphere, Rude management sometimes
I have worked many different retail jobs and Deichmann was by far the best. Wages are well above minimum wage with a pro-rata bonus monthly based on store performance. The management care about you as a person not just an employee and will help you reach your goals. I only left the company because I relocated and there were no jobs available near my new address.
Pros
Good wages, bonuses, clear procedures and expectations
Management are poorly organised, and put way to much pressure on staff about selling add ons with the constant threat of ‘we may close’ even before the pandemic. Managers would favour older members of staff and let them get away with anything , and would be horrible to others. I’ve heard managers bicker about 16 year old workers on their first job. It’s disgusting and unprofessional. They also don’t allow for flexible workplace activities. When they see you can do one thing it’s your job and that’s that. Good luck ever getting off that area. Higher level workers were miserable and horrible but the younger newer staff would chop off a left leg to help a customer. The company offers a bonus which is nice but it’s never too much. Usually would cover tax. As well as this head office are a mess. They put way to much pressure on their deliberately young hired workers and just come across very snobbish. It’s not a nice place to work. Especially not for 5p above minimum wage. What makes this job a nice work environment are the sales assistants and nice workers who actually make an effort to build good workplace relationships. It’s the most relaxed job but also miserable so quickly. An all girl team because boys are trouble apparently. So ridiculous. Just causes for drama.
Pros
Meet nice people. Somewhat flexible with shifts.
Cons
Head office, pay, customers, dated sales products and expectations
I have enjoyed working for deichmann but throughout working for them my manger has changed multiple times which has effected my work life balance. Also it is unorganised you don't find out you rota until the week before with effects your work life balance.
Pros
working short hours and staff discount
Cons
managment
The only good thing out of my time working for deichmann was leaving. The absolute worse place I've ever worked. My mental health and overall health was at its worse here. No support from anyone, if you kissed the managers a*se you got a promotion. If you didn't hit the unrealistic targets then you became a target. The company only cares about upselling products that really do not work.... You are made to feel replaceable from day one. You're just a number to them. I'd rather scrub toilets with my hands than ever go back to work for these.
Pros
Leaving.
I hated working here, management were awful, I used to cover people’s shifts on multiple occasions when they called in sick last minute but it was never appreciated. I was belittled by a member of staff and this wasn’t dealt with at all as this was a relation of the manager. I worked closing shifts and was sometimes stuck behind for 45 minutes but never got paid for this. Due to not being given more hours I had to get a second job, I was then put on a lot more closing shifts as they knew I needed to be gone at 6pm to start my second job but made it hard for me. Staff discount is limited to three uses a year. I wouldn’t recommend this job to anybody.
Cons
Awful management
I have worked with the company for many years and overall have found it a very good place to work. The atmosphere is largely relaxed and friendly, and new colleagues are welcomed with ease. During the back to school season and over the Christmas period the store can be quite busy and hectic, which can be difficult to adjust to, however Head Office acknowledges these busy times and often send emails or updates thanking the staff for their service. Store management could be improved upon but I have personally found my time in Deichmann largely enjoyable.
After working here for 4 years it’s taken its toll on my physical health and mental health. When I first started I loved it but that’s because it was managed properly, after that it all went down hill when the manager left. No stability at all. Rotas were being changed without telling me. I was trained to be a key holder but they didn’t make it official for some reason and had to use others keys and ran the shop multiple times. I was the only one available when we had no secure manager or supervisor. The amount of times I ran the shop when no manager or supervisor were available is surely not acceptable for someone who’s not an official key holder. When most of the workers are always trying to find the littlest things to stab you in the back, you feel you can’t trust anyone- and I couldn’t, it became a toxic environment. I hope no one has to go through what I have with this company.
Pros
Some good friends made
Cons
Made to believe you’re an asset to the company when they don’t care at all.
Honestly it's probably one of the best jobs I have had..... Management are very friendly and would bend over backwards if needed to help you out. The colleagues are very friendly and easy to get on with and the atmosphere within the company is homely.
I worked here for a year. The job itself isn't great, and the pay is literally the bare minimum - which I think isn't on, it's no way enough to live in Brighton. One of my colleagues turned good friend sadly had to move back to her home city as she couldn't afford to stay in Brighton with the pay her supervisor position was giving her. When dealing with the rude types of customers that come in, £4.40 as a college student who pays their parents rent and buys their own things they need for general life (Like shampoo, toothpaste, clothes) is no where near enough. I know the minimum wage for 16-18 y/os was £4.25 at the time (and that's on the government who should realise teenagers need to afford to live too), but in such stressful and demanding jobs with countless problematic customers, the company should really value their staff more. I have a new job now with a small local business and they pay much more than Deichmann. If a small, independant business can afford a couple extra quid, why can't a huge international business? Plus breaks are unpaid...although that's a petty thing to complain about on its own. I also saw 3 managers in my time there, the first 2 were lovely and I wish them all the best. However the last manager (who I've been told by an old colleague has actualy left now) wasn't the nicest person. She was great at dealing with nasty, problematic customers, however with staff she was very passive-agressive and would find many things to complain about. Even talking with another colleague for a few seconds while cleaning up in the same area. It made the whole atmosphere - more...
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Paid bare minimum, very demanding, many many rude customers, manager at the time wasn't great either
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Deichmann?
the most enjoyable part of the job was some of the colleagues I worked with, some was very enthusiastic and made my time great, however the rest (one or two) wasn't very friendly. the hardest part of the job was trying to achieve the goals set by Deichmann- it would cause me a lot of stress when I didn't reach them. not good pay for the jobs and tasks you would be set. really ruined my mental health, never felt cared for by the boss.
I was a supervisor at one of the Dorset stores, I was lucky enough to have a good store manager. The tasking was fun but expectations from above was unrealistic, low on staff but extra work load. Pressure to reach targets. We had nice Customers on the whole.
To Thrive in the Company you must be a quick thinking ambitious and hard working individual. Strong focus on active customer service and trend changes. Can do attitude with a smile can get you promoted fast .
Pros
commitment is rewarded
Cons
Life work balance a bit difficult for those with families.
I really enjoy working at Deichmann, all staff are very easy to get along with and the management are very caring and friendly. You are expected to hit targets (Shoe Care) but it is always achievable with enough effort. The only downside to the job is the pay as it is quite low.
The job was advertised to myself and my colleagues as an £8.41 role. We worked for a whole month commuting to a different city only to find we have been on £6.35 as we are aged 19/20. This is due to the appalling management. We do not know when we are working a day in advance let alone a week or two. It’s overall the worst run job i’ve ever had and it’s stressful in every aspect.
For the Wigan store there are quite a few targets but it’s not too hard to hit them. However the store manager is atrocious and doesn’t have any people skills whatsoever. She bullies the younger members of staff and tends to not like anyone who will stand up for themselves. She has had multiple staff members walk out of their jobs because of the way they are treated, there is no dignity or equality throughout that particular store. I have witnessed members of staff in tears due to how she speaks to them and have also seen how amusing she has found it upsetting staff hoping they will quit so she can hire new. She is a disgusting excuse of a manager and I would avoid working for this store at all costs. The store also have regular stock changes which are compulsory to work, you may sometimes be there till past midnight even if you have children or other commitments you are expected to stay. There is no organisation as the management usually does not attend themselves even though they are supposed to and leave the staff picking up their slack with no real direction.
Relaxing working environment, not always busy. Previous manager was the loveliest Indian lady, however the current manager is racist unfortunately. Delivery days made the days go faster.
I thoroughly enjoyed my first 6 months at Deichmann. However Salary was not enough to live off and there was no opportunity for career progressions. Sales targets are strict and you are constantly moaned at and reminded this if not achieving them. However, a great team and management 95% of the time.
Deichmann is a fun place to work and I have made such good friends since working there. The pay is okay if all you're looking for is a part time job as full-time you wouldn't earn as much and they're known for only giving 3/4hr shifts a day.
The management of this store is awful. She is very stressing and has no compassion or empathy towards the staff. You get a 6 hours contract and if you don't have another job, or go to University, is not worth it. I would not recommend working in there.
Management won’t treat you fairly unless you’re their bestie and their little spy. Say they trust you yet they’ll watch you like a hawk. Don’t pay for overtime even though it’s promised in contracts
  1. Employee reviews