Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy

Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy Employee Reviews

Friendly atmosphere

I would recommend anyone to experience working at BEIS, London, Greater London. Good facilities and friendly staff and visitors. Healthy environment good daily meals with affordable prices.

Productive workplace

It was an okay experience as I got on with staff but this was just a temporary role for me and they wanted temp staff to achieve targets, although I learnt a lot about data entry and what is expected of local government employees.

Disappointing

Potential to be a great place to work but outdated policies and approaches. Talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. Inductions poor So much talk about diversity and inclusion but should you suggest points of consideration or alternative views that do not fit ; then you may be in trouble. Beehive on the roof!

High turnover, high stress

High turnover and consistent understaffing leads to a long-hours culture where lower grades take the worst of it. High turnover also means that most people at any given time are new to their jobs. There is no salary progression, so there is a çulture of changing roles every year or two, with significant stigma towards those who stay in roles longer, who are seen to be stagnating. There is no such thing as promotion, to obtain a higher level role, you must apply for it like a new job, meaning that people move to completely unrelated roles frequently, and knowledge retention is poor.

Pros

Secure job, good pension, good benefits, emphasis on self-improvement

Cons

Long work-hours culture, blame-shifting, most people inexperienced in their roles, lengthy and frequently-changing internal processes for every task

Loved working here. Shame I left but decided I needed a change. People are all friendly and helpful. Environment could be better but it is the Civil Service. A bit hard for parking in area.

Brilliant place to work

I have learnt a lot here and have met some lovely people. I have learned Microsoft Dynamix, No Deal Brexit info and also how to help pre start, start up and established businesses with a plethora of subjects. The culture is relaxed but in a good way as we still have a keen eye for detail. Hardest part is the location but it has been worth travelling too. It is a shame that this has been a temporary contract. I have loved my 2 month here indeed and would return again if the time was right.

Interesting and welcoming workplace.

The Department for Business, Energy and Infrastructure was extremely insightful in the way that you could get the feel of working for the future and how working with your peers makes a fun workplace with boosted morale. When I had my work experience here I found that there is a healthy community as well as really devoted workers that do really interesting projects and work.

great place to work

fun and productive, exciting and informative, progression is good as is work life balance. Work as part of a team as well as using your own initiative.

Highly Competitive and non aligned culture

Non project environment and and no delegated authority. decisions are not clear and there is a constant recycling of ideas and policy with no real outcome

Pros

good location

Cons

Ok place to work but limited opportunities outside of London

Ok department as far as the civil service goes, there are much worse. Opportunity to work on interesting policy areas, which benefit the UK and the UK economy.

Pros

Interesting work

Cons

London centric

Fulfilling work assisting others

On a day to day basis I would: • Provide clear and concise information regarding queries relating, but not limited to energy saving advice. • Provide a clear course of action for the customer to take to obtain and install the specific measure requested initially. • Record all appropriate data in a timely and efficient manner. • Take part in various quality feedback sessions. • Feeding back and learning from daily meetings.

Pros

Simple to grasp

Cons

Repetitive

Opportunities to work with Ministers

A secure job with good pay and conditions. Provided opportunities to influence Ministers and decision makers about policy and to engage with a wide range of stakeholder networks.

Pros

Secure

Cons

Not directly in control of decision taken - small fish in big pond

Best plcae for career progression.

My team members were really helpful and nice towards helping me fulfil my duties as an Admin Officer. you do need to exercise patience and you will do.

Pros

flexible hours and working from home

Cons

Can not think of any

First Job after sixth form

My work involved providing Secretariat to a Review. I had organised and dealt with FTSE350 Chairs, CEO's and Company Secretaries to Regional roadshows and Report launch events. Working in the Civil service is a fast pace environment which has enabled me to better my management skills. I enjoyed writing correspondences on behalf of the Minister in our Department.

Fun and challenging place to work

Fun and challenging place to work. Good work culture and team. Management were good and strong. Hardest part of the job was maintaining resilience during peaks and dealing with stressed out people.

Pros

Fun and challenging place to work

Cons

long hours and can be stressfull

Very flexible workplace

Flexi working system in place is excellent for parents of young children and also for any carers. For some grades there is also the opportunity to work from home on occasion. It is also a good varied job allowing you to mix and work with all grades. There is also excellent opportunities for progression within the department.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Poor salary

I do not wish to disclose another company's details

As above, I have worked with this company for most of my life and held positions such as, supervisor, contracts manager, business development manager, and branch manager. However 4 years ago I changed back to a scaffolders position to give me more time with my family.

Pros

Rate of pay is balanced

Cons

Unknown work dates

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement