DEPARTMENT FOR EDUCATION

DEPARTMENT FOR EDUCATION Employee Reviews

Enjoyed the role and i was treated very well. I just struggle with the tempo and being at a desk all day. Good for flexible working and furthering your development
Started working as outdoor Messenger/Reception then went into Administration in Schools branch. Moved on to on to work in the Press Office for over 10 years. had a great experience and journey. Happy days!
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Difficult work colleagues
slow customer service deliverypoor and old systemsinconsiderate towards illness/sickpoor communication at the management levellack of teamworkworkers scattered across cities
Pros
secure workplace
Cons
less face to face interaction with collegues
Poor workplace: 90% of people do 10% of the work and 10% of the people do 90% of the work: the place is empty on Friday's as everyone (except you) is 'working from home' (i.e. not working).
Pros
Looks good on a CV is subsequent years
Cons
Everything else
Caring people good team work great management good time keeping work safety is a must loads of staff training health and safety fire training hygiene course and fire training
Pros
Working hours help with child care
Cons
Monday to Friday only
They will work you until they have no need for you, then lie to you saying they’ll support you but they won’t. They lie about expenses, make it out like it’s a benefit if you join the events team but in fact I’m over £250 out of pocket waiting for them to reimburse me what I’m owed. The process takes 6 weeks apparently, yet it’s been since February LAST year and I’m still outstanding money. They’re just bad, don’t do it
A very friendly and fast paced team always helping one another to get the work done a great environment to work in no day is the same, some very influential topics covered.
Really interesting and varied work. Opportunity to make a real difference. Plenty of scope for personal and career development. Travel across the country and meeting people in all parts of the education sector.
As part of my role, although based in Manchester, I traveled between London and Nottingham Weekly. This enabled me to appreciate the value of working within a larger, integral team. I worked closely with colleagues at all levels within the Department which I thoroughly enjoyed; this enabled me to develop good working relationships with my colleagues. I managed communication between schools and the DfE and was responsible for the processing of Government loans and Grants. Throughout my time spent at the DfE I feel I was given the opportunity to develop my existing skills as well as to learn new skills.
I was always busy and the projects in the program are big but i was productive and happy working there. As a financial analyst the hardest part was to complain with the dead line at the end of the month as sometimes the report are late and we had little time to complete the actuals but i enjoyed very much to have worked there.
Friendly staff and a good working environment, regular contact with managers meant I was always well informed about the work of the team. Offices are relatively new so the set-up is good and spacious.
Pros
Cafe on site
Cons
No dedicated parking.
The work undertaken at the Department for Education was varied and interesting. I was always challenged and CPD was always promoted and encouraged. It was fun and the culture was such that flexible working was the norm which allowed for an excellent work life balance.
This role is a public government appointment. I sit on a panel to advice on shaping the new Tlevels Curriculum helping young make alternative career choices. My expenses get paid.
Good experience overall. Very agile environment but heavy dependency on contractors. Good people, facilities, and close to train station. Can be challenging politically.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
political environment, constant change
There was not very much opportunity in my role for any support nor advancement. There was not much access to my manager and my manager had no involvement in my work and so it was hard to gain support on the specifics of my role. They do not have enough support in place for work place bullying and general health and well being and put very little effort into diversity and inclusion
Friendly staff and Public Sector ethos on Census work (2018). The new Darlington Offices are a collaboration with Darlington Council in the town centre (useful at lunch-times). The office operates a clean desk policy (strictly enforced). The staff entrance has an unusual security foyer style entrance that was frustrating for temporary workers that have to sign in to enter and need security staff to open the external door for them.
Pros
Team working
Cons
My work was only temporary in nature
Fun place nice people, little change for remote working when in an operational role. As a contingent worker there is very little that I can add to the growth of the organisation
great place to work, great people too. going digital is not just rolling out tablets and need to think more about live services rather than projects in flight
Friendly environment lots to do lots to learn, great opportunity. Workplace culture included casual Friday's which was fun. Great management, most enjoyable part about this role was the research conducted.
Requirement is to 'just get on with the job.' A mature culture but not too friendly in a personal sense. Good work life balance. Good hard working people.
Defined roles for all staff working towards a common goal with clear business objectives.Positive performance management reviews and recognition for staff at all levels.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Complex decisions