Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Employee Reviews

Found 1,173 reviews matching the search
I worked at DWP for 22 years and really enjoyed my time overall. I have worked in many job roles during this time most recently as a Work Coach which was challenging but rewarding. Supportive colleagues and management team. Family friendly and provided me with a good work/life balance throughout my time.
Pros
Flexi time, development opportunities, excellent training
Cons
Pay, can be stressful
I gave the organisation a lot of my working years, and gained a wealth of knowledge, skills and experience. I made a lot of social acquaintances, who made the journey of employment there very enjoyable.
Pros
More internal knowledge, around the benefit system
Cons
Micro management
I work for DWP for just short of 15 years. I started off at Child support agency did 2 years there then went to work for the Jobcentre call centre for 8 years then did a year at Benefit centre then just over 2 years at actual Jobcentre face to face. The call centre environment can be quite tough as its stats and performance based, it's the people who work there as colleagues who help you through it. The interview process is competency and behaviour profile based applications. It does take a long time to do the actual application as competency writing in my opinion is a art. The S.T.A.R process helps with this though. If you do get to the interview stage your confidence needs to be sharp otherwise it shows in the interview. The management is good unless you get to face to face stage and that moment I felt abandoned and isolated and up to a point bullied. Your just another figure on a piece of paper and there policies are there biggest contradiction. They encorage a positive B.A.M.E culture but certainly can't follow that through as I have witnessed in the years I was there.
Pros
Yearly pay raise 1% usually better then nothing. Good pension scheme and employer contribution, 33 days annual leave.
Cons
Management favouritism, poor support at times, managers have not always done the job role.
typical day perform daily tasks get bullied by management who make you feel like your always in the wrongcondecending attitudes from team leaders as well as unprofessional behaviour from senior management having public meltdowns on site wide skype callsmade to feel stupid and don't take own intelligence into account when it comes to understanding basic computer programs ie Internet explorer/SkypeDont care about personal health matters and discuss them freely with other members of the site without prior consent.
Pros
good pay, decent-ish colleagues
Cons
long hours, poor management
Having worked for the DWP and formerly the Benefits Agency I can say that the current culture is more about sanctioning job seekers whereas previously it was more focused on helping people back to work. I would not work there again in the current culture.
High pressure job with monthly reviews, good to work for if you can handle work targets.Colleagues help you out when workload is high. Good team spirit, training is excellent so that everyone is capable of doing your job.
Pros
Support from colleagues
Cons
Difficult getting to sites of work.
Good place. to work support of colleagues job satisfaction pension scheme working hours full part short time aims to assist clients back into work / or training / education skills to get back into work
Pros
Easy to talk to line manager
Cons
Safety working
The office was full of dead wood. People just waiting to leave and lift their pension.Some officers would hardly offer assistance and took their time before assisting you. People in key positions had working hours that did not include school hols with some late attending dut to child's schooling. Some senior members had cliques and used them a lot. Enjoyed my time but glad to leave.
Pros
Regular hours
Cons
The dead wood.
Great team environment. Staff always asked their opinions in daily spotlight meetings. Very supportive if you wish to progress. Good salary and benefits offered along with overtime and the support of a Union Rep.
Pros
Very supportive
Cons
Some challenging claimants
We are regularly told how well the department is responding to Covid-19 but the real picture means experienced staff are not available and we are being asked to do tasks with inadequate support. Senior management offer phone-ins from the comfort of their home to staff who risk public transport to get to an office with lip-service social distancing measures. Several are getting away with doing next to no work and no one seems concerned.
Pros
You can earn a salary beyond your abilities
Cons
Senior management with nothing better to do than backbite and scheme
BPDTS is a new IT team within DWP and they're different, fun and they care about what they do! BPDTS puts people within DWP teams to solve problems and issues and it was really great to implement projects that you could see were having an effect, I was sad I was only a contractor!
Generally a good employer with plenty of opportunities - pay and conditions are good in my opinion but do vary Contracts are always changing though! This is a a big employer so the work culture does vary from office to office but the processes you would expect to address poor behaviours are in place. Training and development has always been good in my experience but be prepared to push for it All and all a good solid employer
Pros
Good job security, salary and benefits package, Flexible Working Hours
Cons
Work life balance can become skewed very easily
Rewarding place to work as you are making a difference to the most vulnerable in society, but it is very demanding and intense at times. Overall I would promote the Department for Work and Pensions as a good place to work.
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
Travelling involved
Very dull work, processing paperwork etc, answering calls, most of the time the job was easy filing faxing photocopying, until they decided to split up the dept I was in, but before doing so, myself and others were restricted from transfering to other dept's, but also the work load doubled. Eventually after the external sites had been set up, I managed to transfer to another dept, where I was supposed to have only been assisting managers, not doing the work for them, the overall business manager lied, and said I was not there just to assist even though she said it at my transfer interview, so eventually after 2 years I resigned.
Cons
Managers lie.
Worked in UC in Belfast the interview was fairly simple, anyone can walk in and it shows. Awful people to work with, lowest of the low. One member of staff conned claimants out of £10k. Good if you want to steal. Not so much if you have morals. The system is rigged to punish everyone as much as possible, including staff, with new rules every week to make it as difficult as possible to understand. Avoid unless you are happy f*ING over the most vulnerable people in society
Pros
Flexi time which is easily conned as it's self recorded
Cons
Everything else about the job
Worked for 39 years for DWP. Lovely co-workers and Line Managers. If you want to get promotion and make a career promotion possibilities available. Loved working in various departments and witnessed lots of change, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.
Pros
Equal opportunity employer, work life balance available
Cons
Can get stressful on occasion depends on which department you work in
Started working for DHSS straight from school. I loved it right from the beginning. I felt part of a team and gained promotion within my first year. As the years passed l became disillusioned with how we dealt with the public. Everything became target driven and accuracy and relationships with the public became very distanced. By 2015 I'd had enough and for health reasons l left the Department after 37 years.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Too target driven
Working on the call centre team for income support dealing with customer queries. I learnt how to deal with various types of calls and problems as well as time management of the call taking. Workplace was a very relaxed atmosphere and the management were always on hand for assistance. I found not being able to solve a problem for the customer quite hard and had to forward the query to the relevant team to deal with. It was a very friendly place to work.
Pros
Proper meal and break times were adhered to.
Answered calls all day to people having issues with applying for Universal credit. Some of the Senior staff are very patronising and often spoke to you in a demeaning way. Support on the job is very poor - lack of structure in management team. Training ok at best.
Pros
Cons
Lack of trust from senior staff
I had a very unpleasant experience at Atos. The clinical manager had very few people skills and was intimidating and unfriendly. There were no real empathy for the clients. A very cold place to work.
Pros
salary
Cons
constant pressure and intimidation
Can be a challenging role, challenging department and very slow at implementing improvements or listening to suggestions. Far too many ‘established’ civil servants who ‘know better’ and don’t like change, this includeS senior management. Higher managers are micro managers, there to say yes to senior managers and that’s all. Unless you start in corporate DWP, where you are challenged, jobcentres staff are left to stagnate. And although their is national guidance, there is always a ‘local’ procedure....infuriating.
Pros
Flexi, when no local procedures override them
Cons
Annual leave booking procedures