Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,234 reviews

Found 1,234 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,266 reviews
flexijobcentrecentrepensioncolleagueflexitimeclaimanttarget

Complicated job

The job itself is very complicated for the pay you will get. The people you work with are the plus point. The DWP is not run as a business shouls be run.

Pros

Teams

Unappreciated

I worked for the DWP after a big recruitment drive. It seemed they were ill-prepared for the number of employees they had taken on.Communication was poor and management of the team was non-existant.There were plenty of managers but nobody seemed to take ownership and just passed tasks on to another manager without them ever really being tackled.Pay was good for the work. Often there was little work to do. Flexible working was considered and often given.Company laptops and equipment provided.There was a high turnover and often we would be covering other local offices. Nice people and not a bad company but just mismanaged, certainly at my location in Essex.

Insights into Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Needs to be changes

Had a great team, team manager was great, but change is needed at DWP. Far too rigid, and the pay is becoming worse on a yearly basis, and at times my team manager was put in welcome situations on more than one occassion.Training was ok, most of it though was irrelevant, and like the training for my current role at HMRC, out of date.And as someone who is a current civil servant, be careful when applying for work at DWP, as the current government is looking to make substantial cuts of 20% of the civil service workforce. Not all departments will be affected, but you will need to do your research.You will work with great people though in the Civil Service so there this that.

Fun place to work

Very enjoyable place to work. If you like helping people that are vulnerable or want a sense of satisfaction this is the place to work. Colleagues are great to work with

Pros

Pay

Cons

Caseload

Good work environment

Sometimes was stressful, but that was only on certain days like Monday and Friday. Still remained friends with staff members even though I have left. Team leaders treated everyone fairly.

Just awful!

I was really looking forward to this role but the 18 months I spent here were a mistake. Personally, I had no training for the first 6 months due to covid but was thrown in at the deep end with a caseload of 500+ anyway. There was a negative atmosphere due to high workloads and understandably stressed out colleagues, as well as customers who are also frustrated with the system and while most are nice, some can be..less nice! I also had multiple colleagues with disabilities or other life circumstances who left and told me it was due to the lack of support at work :( I also felt that there was a lack of resources/flexibility to actually help service users and at the same time, there was a A LOT of micromanaging. For example, all diaries were closely monitored for *any* free space and there were a lot of meetings to repeat the same info and ironically, this reduced time for you to get on with the targets set. I also went to numerous meetings where the team was angrily 'told off' for not meeting said targets, despite the team lacking the resources/time/support needed and raising this several times.There was a lot of other issues but everyone is different so I would recommend scrolling through the other reviews to get an overall picture to see if it feels right for you - for me, it absolutely destroyed my confidence and well-being and no amount of money or 'flexi time' benefits etc would ever get me to go back!

Sterile working environment with a toxic hierarchical atmosphere

There was nothing in any of the job roles, 3 in 5 years, that posed a problem to my skill set, I excelled in the main but was held back and pushed down by managers who lacked the same skills, it was a very unfriendly and often bullying atmosphere. Had I been mentored and trained rather than criticised, personally and professionally, I could have been a leadership asset to this draconian and stifling organisation.

Stressful

Great supportive colleagues but too much bureaucracy as ministers continue to change their minds about how to run it. Very stressful because the goalpost changes daily.

Awful Job and Toxic Environment

Awful environment to work in and extremely stressful. Management simply don't care about their staff. They only care about working you until you drop. Would not recommend DWP to anyone and would NEVER work for them again.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Large caseloads and poor management.

Lack of achievement

If you are motivated with a clear sense of how to help people this job isn't for you. It's all about ticking boxes for appointments and the last priority is actually helping someone find a job. The higher up the chain you look the more clueless the people are.

Pros

Great work life balance

Cons

Frustration in not being able to help people you really should be able to.

Unchallenging

The job is boring, they don't care about their staff. You're just a number. The management are clueless and there's so many changes you have no job security

Toxic place, corporate lies in public sector model

Management that wouldn't last ten mins in public sector; blunt instruments. All about box ticking spread sheets for managers, leave your morals and humanity at the door.

Avoid

Phone line Universal credit avoid at all costs. Terrible place to work, little support and knowledge that is needed to be learned for the pay is ridiculous.Please do not work here, my course was 14 people there’s only one left, we’ve all bailed.

Exceptional Benefits; Exceptional Progression; Inclusive

Absolutely love my job.Limitless opportunities and support.Flexibility and an amazing work atmosphere, colleagues are really interesting and friendly.

Pros

Flexi-time, good rates of pay, union, opportunities to progress, financial support, mental health support, free useful courses, inclusivity, job security

Cons

Not allowed public, political views

Working for the department of Work and Pensions has been a great experience. I have really enjoyed developing my personal and business skills there as well as learning news things everyday.

Pros

Lovely team, making a difference, constantly learning

Really liked it

I really liked it nice environment I enjoyed helping under privileged individuals.I really liked it ice environs I helping under privileged individuals.

Pros

Free lunches

Abysmal Organisation and Place to Work

Horrible and toxic place to work. The organisation was horrendously autocratic, treating both claimants and internal staff with contempt. It was clear to me during my time there that the DWP had zero interest in helping vulnerable people. It's objective was very clearly finding ways NOT to pay benefits. If you're looking for an employer that aims to benefit society in a positive way, this is about as far from that as it gets.

Pros

Some staff care, even if they aren't given the power to help

Cons

Organisation is morally bankrupt to the core

Ever changing work environment

The job is enjoyable, the people are generally good to work with . The job is customer service based and you have to have a wide knowledge to do the job. The job updates daily.

Pros

Days off

Cons

Half hour lunch breaks

Awful

Absolutely awful place to work. If you like being micromanaged this is the place for you. All customers despite own situation are treated the same. You are a number not a person.

Well looked after

Great place to work. Good Management and senior Management. Training second to none, although on going training could be better. Wellbeing catered for and lots of perks

Paid just over minimum wage for a complex job

Pay no way near reflects the job you do, it’s administrative but a lot of finance work which can be time consuming and complex, higher management uncaring

Pros

Flexi working

Cons

Pay management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) with

Learn about Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) in popular locations

• Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)