Derby City Council

Derby City Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom119 reviews

councilcityrolechildlifestaffbalancesupport

I enjoyed my time at the council and was sad when i had to give up a job which i enjoyed the staff management the culture physically tough having fun

Pros

Brought own lunch

Cons

Hours were tough

Good work ethics

I loved my time with DCC I worked with them for 25 years and wish at times that I still worked for them I had my most enjoyable work life it fitted in with well when my family were young and I enjoyed various job rolls in the establishment where I work

Insights into Derby City Council

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energising work tasks

Best place I’ve ever worked

Secure & a great work life balance. Good pay and good pension. Good understanding from management, fantastic support and support from other members of staff too.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Vile place to work very cliquey.

Street cleansing department run by members of the same family when it's meant to be a public service. If your face fits you will be OK. Foremans of the vans leave you to do all the work and drive around all day especially managers step son. Management go home and take thier dogs for a walk. No support by management if you moan they will give you the most degrading job and be nasty to you. Working mostly in Norminton Derby walking long distances litter picking and having no support. Members of the same management family driving around in the lorry laughing at you. Lazy employees will not help you and laugh at you if you have a long route to. Training is appalling a few hours in a class room at stores road. No parking only for bin men the rest have to park at Chapel Street car park and walk in. Management seem to look after employees living in the Chaddesden area where management live. Say they recognise mental health but in reality they don't give a damm about you, your just a number. Please don't do it to yourself and leave well alone.

The management at stores road areca joke

I use to enjoy this job but it's gone down hill big time the management at stores road treat you do bad they think they have a right to treat you like kids just because you are a refuses collector and the pay is shocking

Pros

4 days a week Tuesday to Friday dock pay

Cons

Poor pay terrible management

Excellent employer

Really enjoyed working for the Council, great colleagues, friendly environment, fully remote, good working hours. Very flexible about working out of hours. I was also lucky enough to have a good line manager. Can't complaint about any of my time at DCC.

Pros

Flexible about working out of core business hours

Poor management

Poor managment guys you work with are great, supervisors do nothing allday, and when you finish your own task you have to go and do someone elses. There is a managment bullying culture so please be aware of this.

Pros

Good pension

Cons

Work levels are very high and so is sickness and stress

Not great

Derby City was a great place to work at one point and was supportive. However it became much worse after senior management changed and it became rather toxic.

Pros

Nothing sadly

Cons

Poor management, lack of support

Hard work no fun

Have filled in three times for work and never got reply worked for staffline agency that's all the council wants they want reporting bad place because they can get rid of you at anytime when you finish a job they ring you and send you somewhere else the people I worked with are scared of losing their job

Pros

No meals

Cons

Hard work for bad pay

Nice Team but Extremely Poor Management

Loved the the staff the clients and the role. However shifts often changed at last minute. Training activities scheduled on days off.Managers often nice but ineffective . High staff turnover which tells you plenty!

Pros

Free parking

Cons

Can’t plan ahead as rota often changed at last minute

Officer

It doesn't really matter what or how much you do, if your face don't fit you're going nowhere.Its really important to learn this phrase 'YES', say yes to everything, even when you should be saying no.The management tend to be inept, unknowledgeable, naive, and in some cases vindictive, to cover up their own inadequacies and incompetence.At the ground level, there tends to be co-operation. Its management with their empire building, lack of integrity and bias that create the resentment.Nepotism is rife. Promotion and even keeping your job is based on being a mate.If you're not in the in crowd, then forget it.The amount of money that is lost through poor management is staggering. £50 million spent on a project, instead of the initial estimate £9 million, because management wouldn't listen and couldn't even ask sensible questions. Who got blamed, the poor sucker, given the job in the first place. More budget managers than there are people, doing the job!Just a staggeringly bad organisation.

Pros

Work Life balance

Cons

Back biting two faced colleagues. Naive management, with little integrity. No support for people willing to stand up for whats right. Nepotism and bias.

Productive place to work snd job security

Excellent training and job security and pention and regular hours of work .pick up extra work when covering for staff sickness guarantee support from management. And staff if issues arise.excellent job prospects

Pros

Traing included

Terrible organisation

Treat staff like dirt don’t respect or value there team members and if your face doesn’t fit your out. Salary doesn’t reflect the hard work people put in

General

Its a Great company to work with especially with work life balance opportunity works great with parents with. The only thing I don't like about DCC was the salary for apprenticeships.

Enjoyed my time here.

It been a while since I worked here, but found the client generally good to work with (schools). Management generally ok to work for. The database was reasonably easy to maintain.

Awful

If you want to feel undervalued, disrespected and worthless, help yourself. Look forward to having your soul destroyed on a daily basis and being micro managed by incompetents.

Pros

Going home at the end of a shift

Cons

Absolutely everything

Good

Great work but communication between management and staff can be short coming. I enjoy working there all the same. I’ll recommend to anyone interested in healthcare.

Improve fairness

Hidden discrimination which can lead to indirect discrimination. Management needs to act professional and practice equality and fairness to everyone.

Derby city council don’t bother!

Depending on where your working, all depends on how you are treated. Front line staff in children services are treated poorly. They have management that cannot manage. You are not supported by management or head of service. Staff well being is zero, it is stressful and work overload. You are unappreciated within the service and they seem to adopt a face fit concept!

Good workplace, limited by budget constraints

Good work ethic encouraged, training oppurtunities, great work life balance with flexi time and good holidays and sickness pay. When I worked there services were constantly being reduced, due to central funding.

Pros

flexi-time, good sick pay, training and oppurtunities to advance

Cons

pressure due to staff cutbacks

Enjoyable place to work

Really enjoy my job and get great job satisfaction Supportive team Opportunities for additional training Great team to work along side Hours suitable for work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Derby City Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement