Derby City Council

Derby City Council Employee Reviews

I enjoyed my time at the council and was sad when i had to give up a job which i enjoyed the staff management the culture physically tough having fun
Pros
Brought own lunch
Cons
Hours were tough
Loved the the staff the clients and the role. However shifts often changed at last minute. Training activities scheduled on days off.Managers often nice but ineffective . High staff turnover which tells you plenty!
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Can’t plan ahead as rota often changed at last minute
It doesn't really matter what or how much you do, if your face don't fit you're going nowhere.Its really important to learn this phrase 'YES', say yes to everything, even when you should be saying no.The management tend to be inept, unknowledgeable, naive, and in some cases vindictive, to cover up their own inadequacies and incompetence.At the ground level, there tends to be co-operation. Its management with their empire building, lack of integrity and bias that create the resentment.Nepotism is rife. Promotion and even keeping your job is based on being a mate.If you're not in the in crowd, then forget it.The amount of money that is lost through poor management is staggering. ÂŁ50 million spent on a project, instead of the initial estimate ÂŁ9 million, because management wouldn't listen and couldn't even ask sensible questions. Who got blamed, the poor sucker, given the job in the first place. More budget managers than there are people, doing the job!Just a staggeringly bad organisation.
Pros
Work Life balance
Cons
Back biting two faced colleagues. Naive management, with little integrity. No support for people willing to stand up for whats right. Nepotism and bias.
Excellent training and job security and pention and regular hours of work .pick up extra work when covering for staff sickness guarantee support from management. And staff if issues arise.excellent job prospects
Pros
Traing included
Cons
Treat staff like dirt don’t respect or value there team members and if your face doesn’t fit your out. Salary doesn’t reflect the hard work people put in
Its a Great company to work with especially with work life balance opportunity works great with parents with. The only thing I don't like about DCC was the salary for apprenticeships.
It been a while since I worked here, but found the client generally good to work with (schools). Management generally ok to work for. The database was reasonably easy to maintain.
If you want to feel undervalued, disrespected and worthless, help yourself. Look forward to having your soul destroyed on a daily basis and being micro managed by incompetents.
Pros
Going home at the end of a shift
Cons
Absolutely everything
Great work but communication between management and staff can be short coming. I enjoy working there all the same. I’ll recommend to anyone interested in healthcare.
Hidden discrimination which can lead to indirect discrimination. Management needs to act professional and practice equality and fairness to everyone.
Depending on where your working, all depends on how you are treated. Front line staff in children services are treated poorly. They have management that cannot manage. You are not supported by management or head of service. Staff well being is zero, it is stressful and work overload. You are unappreciated within the service and they seem to adopt a face fit concept!
Good work ethic encouraged, training oppurtunities, great work life balance with flexi time and good holidays and sickness pay. When I worked there services were constantly being reduced, due to central funding.
Pros
flexi-time, good sick pay, training and oppurtunities to advance
Cons
pressure due to staff cutbacks
Really enjoy my job and get great job satisfaction Supportive team Opportunities for additional training Great team to work along side Hours suitable for work life balance
They are a great company to work for, they treat you with the respect you deserve and the people there are very friendly and a good laugh. The managers are also very helpful
I loved my job at DCC but there was too much interference from other managers. Often they would have no experience in that area. To a point sometimes that they would undermine your expertise. It's a place where if you suck up you "do well". DCC do not like criticism but love praise. As per usual the guys at the top never lost their jobs when the council was short of money.
Pros
Great flexibility, some brilliant staff members. Loved working with clients
Cons
Middle management killing the service
I enjoyed my job and believe I was good at it. The management however were poor and dishonest. The whole council upper hierarchy protects its failing and flawed management over hard working ground staff.
Pros
Rate of pay
Cons
Poor management
Disappointed with management during this employment, Wendy and Richard - very un-supportive. Shifts at times were uncomfortable, would always be accused of standing around talking. Very busy during summer months worked off your feet but no praise from management. Turnover of staff is high, lack of training.
Great bunch of lads to work with. Working hrs fitted in well with home life. Security of job,cut down on stress. Quite a good benefit package. Do like working as part of a team. Was a sense of we're all working together.
I joined a wonderful, competent and friendly team; but due to changes of higher management and then the introduction and reaction to "Austerity", the coalition between the various teams and upper corporate managment, diverged. No longer were the hands-on employees involved in any decision making and we ended up with equipment and software that wasn't suitable for our work. The team felll apart with many leaving, disenchanted by new management and its complete lack of understanding or interest in the contribution we made to Derby.
Good work life balance. Favouritism, bullying, negligent management, lack of leadership, driven by making money, and ran by snakes, with plenty of grasses to work with. No organisational structure, management come and go and do as they please. Low morale due to staff being expected to work on false promises.
I worked across the libraries on a zero hours contract supporting library staff on holidays and sick leave. The work was interesting and supporting the library users very rewarding. Colleagues tended to be friendly and motivated even through challenging times of job uncertainty. I would work in the same position again.
  1. Employee reviews