Derbyshire County Council

Derbyshire County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom212 reviews

councildccorganisationpensioncountylovelycolleaguechild

not many benefits

Only benefits are sick policy and pension (which isn't that great) and free parking (in most places)Most colleagues are willing to help you.Office were rubbish-mold, etc.

Great Place to Get your apprenticeship

Great place to get your apprenticeship. Great staff, lovely environment and everyone is super helpful. Best office I have worked in so far. Would highly recommend

Insights into Derbyshire County Council

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job

It’s ok

Good secure job , work on 4 week rota , people happy to help , pick up extra shifts if any going pension work 3 shift pattern days, nights and afternoons , best training

Pros

Good training

Cons

Not good for single parents 3 shift rota

Brilliant place to work, work within a great team, pays not bad, can be unsociable hours but that’s part of the job, everyone is friendly and you get great job satisfaction

Great place.

I’ve worked for DCC for 19 years and enjoy it! I feel the pay is fair and you’re looked after in the company. I would recommend DCC to someone looking to get into a similar job.

Poor Employer's

In the place I worked it was a huge clique and my face didn't fit. Managers employing friends and family. No support from higher management. Difficult atmosphere all of the time, made me ill.

Low pay

Disappointing to experience, don't expect to stay long. Poor wages, poor communication, high staff turnover, employees undervalued. Too much agency workers and too little investment in permanent staff.

Very supportive

I've worked for DCC for 17 years, and I have found it a positive environment. I would recommend working for this company.Good work life balance, supportive senior management.

Awful

Just horrible place to work vile nasty management. Extremely hard work no better thought of no matter what you do. I will never work for them again!!!

Pros

Free food

Cons

Nasty

Supportive environment

Derbyshire is a great council to work for. There is strong leadership and a positive culture which values staff. I relocated from Bedfordshire and love the area. Great walks, good pubs and nice people

Pros

Good rates of pay

Good, fast paced, good team

Enjoyed it, was fast paced, goodish money and varied. It was a good team, good management, but they've since left so not sure what it's like now. Always got paid on time. Professional.

Pros

Got free food sometimes

Cons

can be a little stressful at events, but it was fun on the whole.

Great flexible working options

The department I worked in was fantastic. Very open, helpful and supportive. It's a shame there is constant restructuring in the organisation as a whole.

Fantastic

Realy nice company to work, id still be there if it wasnt for the pandemic. I had a great boss. Training was regular, and specific to the job. All legislation was adhered to.

Typical council

The pay is not good. Things have changed and most not for the good. Do not value staff. Office staff are friendly and try their best for you. PPE is provided and there is plenty of it.

Pros

Paid on time. Training at the start is fantastic.

Cons

Lack of hours. Low pay. Under valued

Great place to work Great management Uniform Phone Good mileage rate of pay Informative Good team Poor communication sometimes Not always available when required

Wouldn’t recommend

I worked for DCC 4 years ago and left to further my knowledge. I eagerly returned to work for DCC because it WAS and I repeat WAS a fantastic company and castle court WAS a lovely place to work. The residents have no choice in what they do, eat, drink or anything and the people they hire you would have thought come straight from the gutter. I wouldn’t let these people look after my dog never mind an elderly person. The management are absolutely awful. They do not respect the staff, they think they are goddesses. When in actual fact they do not know there finger from their thumb! The senior care workers also think they are gods gift to earth. The staff (the good ones) do not get any appreciation for what they have to deal with. The residents do not deserve the lack of respect they get. The people who sit in Matlock head office should be looking into all the complaints the place gets and down something about it!

Pros

There are no pros.

Cons

Read my comments. Everything about them is a con!

Busy, innovative, value staff

I started in September 2020 and haven't regretted it one bit. I feel supported by colleagues and managers. My manager listens to ideas and my colleagues are helpful and approachable. The team is very busy and the work is really important. I work in Information Governance, so we are directly handling sensitive information all the time. We work with other teams and the collaboration across different departments really is first class. We are currently undergoing a process mapping exercise and this shows to me that DCC are always looking at ways to continuously improve.

Pros

Collaborative team ethic amongst colleagues, Supportive managers who are informative and approachable, flexible working

Cons

None - but have only been employed there for a short time.

Good rates of pay

Great place to work, friendly staffStrict policy's & procedures Management could be betterGood trainingEncased pay rate for unsociable hoursCaring environment

Pros

Higher rates of pay, enchanced payment for unsocialable hours

Cons

No full time jobs

Very supported great work place

Excellent company to work for, shown how to use everything in the kitchen, supportive great team, hard work, Sometimes very stressful, everyone cleaned, all new training explained so we understood, opportunities to advance, didn’t leave the company we got tuped over to another company

Pros

Free lunches, training courses, good work life balance

Cons

Can get stressful

Hr

HR has good people in it but leadership are negative and don’t respect their teams. The culture is inflexible and a lot of good staff have left as they don’t want negative leadership

Cons

Either full time or part time no flexibility

Needs improving

I was not supported at all during my ASYE year. None of us were. The pay is not good either compared to other local authorities considering the amount of stress we endure. It is one of the lowest paying authorities in the country. My last 6 months of being there I never had supervision with a manager. I was advised she operates an open door policy therefore I could 'nip in ' for informal supervision even though I had cases in court! Personal supervision didn't exist at all. On the plus side, the staff are very friendly and the sites in Derbyshire are beautiful, especially in summer.

Pros

Collegues

Cons

Asye programme and support is inadequate. You have to pay for wat

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Derbyshire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement