Devon Partnership NHS Trust

Devon Partnership NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom50 reviews

trustsupportivepatienthealthsupportteamstaffservice

Friendly cohesive environment

A good place to work friendly approachable management who will work to better your skills and always listen they will try and help also they do go above and beyond if you approach with a problem personal or work rekated

Pros

Tight knit team

Great time I learnt a lot , met some great people.

Great place to work, thoroughly enjoyed my time with The Devon partnership Trust. Lots of benefits and security. I learnt a lot about mental health and patient centred ways of working.

Insights into Devon Partnership NHS Trust

• Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks
  • Fair pay for job

Intense atmosphere, good colleagues

Worked at Langdon Hospital as a support nurse for over 20 years, made some very good friends there but job can be stressful and violent at times. Line managers are very supportive but middle management can be very unsympathetic and cold.Would not recommend.

Pros

Very accommodating with work hours

Cons

Back stabbing and cold take it or leave it middle management

Corrupt, disorganized, exploitative.

Overworked. Understaffed. Underpaid. Emotional labour not valued or rewarded by Trust. Clinical culture does not allow space for reflective practice. Peer Support Workers used as cheap labour imho. Little room for diversity of opinion outside the biomedical framework. Dissenting voices silenced. Adequate supervision not in place for safe practice, which put health of whole team at risk. Resigned.

Fast paced environment but well supported

I worked for DPT after graduating in 2001. I spent 13 years in one dept and loved it. Great team and good staff retention. Led by an excellent manager who cared about staff well being.Patients treated with dignity and respect. Only down side was lack of beds and community resources which could lead to longer than necessary stays for some patients.Returned iti work here again in 2018. Bed pressures even worse, staff retention not as good.However overall still a good place to work with very supportive managers and a Director of Nursing who has time to listen to staff whatever their band/grade.

Pros

Good holidays, supportive management

Cons

Lack of beds, pressure on staff to free up beds.

Lots of opportunities for career progression

I love working for DPT. I have been offered plenty of opportunities to progress in my career. Training opportunities have been both in management positions as well as in clinical development. I have had 7 positions across the Trust including both inpatient and community across 3 localities. Torbay is a difficult area to work due to high caseloads, bed pressures and inadequate and absent management. Unfortunately, the poor management in this area casts a shadow over those who are trying to elicit change and improve the quality of services for both its clients and staff. Senior management in secure services are incredibly supportive and they really value all members of staff. They are also ready to pull up their sleeves and get stuck in when needed and you often see them on the wards. Nurses are valued and cared for across the secure directorate. The Practice Education Team are supportive and ready to guide nurses through the opportunities for training and development that the Trust offer and what opportunities are coming up.

Pros

Plenty of career development opportunities. Good pay. Good Holliday. Flexible working.

Cons

Short staffing and bed shortages are a National issue

Stressful

Been in the job to many years ,poor management and not the best to work for, can be very stressful and not supported very well , yearly trading updates,good holidays, good pay

The Best Mental Health Trust in the South West

I have worked for DPT for around 18 months having previously worked in Trusts across Somerset, Devon and Plymouth. DPT is without doubt the best organisation I have worked for- I feel valued and supported in my role and feel like I am able to give high standards of care that my patients deserve. The teams I have worked in have been supportive and healthy environments and the management is far better than elsewhere in the region. The HR department are very helpful and the recruitment process couldn't have been easier. Overall, I can't recommend DPT highly enough, whether you're a newly qualified or experienced professional, someone from Devon or relocating from elsewhere in the country, you'll be welcomed with open arms at DPT.

Pros

very supportive, excellent training

Interview process

I have just received a formal job offer, I am yet to start working. My interview was fair, it was a good experience to go through, though there were some online technical problems. I received kind, thorough feedback afterwards with reasonable comments and suggestions. Although written confirmation took a little time to arrive, once it came, I was given prompt updates. I feel supported and motivated and am looking forward to starting work with the team.

Very pleased with my team

I´ve felt supported along the whole interview process. Everyone in the team is helpful and supportive.Very happy to be part of such a professional team.

Horrible trust to work for

My worst experience in a trust . Managers are only interested in fire fighting . Quality of patient care is just lip service here , no wonder CQC are worried about the services this trust provides . I would urge anyone to think twice before applying for a job here.

Pros

Nil

Cons

Horrible senior leadership . They use you like pawns

Official response from Devon Partnership NHS Trust

23 November 2020
Dear Doctor,I am sorry that you are not having a good experience working at this Trust. I would really value some more detailed feedback (confidentially if you wish) and the opportunity to address your concerns. Please do contact me if you would be willing to discuss this in more detail. My email address is jonathan.shoebridge2@nhs.netThank you in advance,Jonathan Shoebridge - Head of Medical Workforce

caring and compassionate

the staff really care about patients I had a buddy before I started which was really helpful as it made starting work much less stressful they seem keen to support my training and development

Pros

NHS benefits, pension, holiday

Cons

shift work

Opportunity to make a real difference

I have worked for DPT for 12 months and I'm based at Secure Services in Dawlish. It's fast-paced (which I enjoy), and my colleagues have become firm-friends. It is hard work but I have a real sense that I'm playing some part in improving the lives of people with mental health and learning disability challenges - and that sense of fulfillment is not something too many jobs can give you.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

You need to feel comfortable working in a fast-paced environment

Supportive employer

DPT is a mental health employer who support staff well and ensure that they listen to their staff. I feel that my managers are excellent in what they do and that I am given the ability to do my job freely whilst still feeling supported. My team is great and my job is interesting and rewarding

Pros

Rewarding

Cons

Commute to work

Best employer I’ve worked for

Couldn’t recommend working for DPT more. Management are super helpful and supportive, especially during these times where things are tricky. Felt very welcomed into the team and can see myself working for them for the foreseeable. Working for the NHS has so many benefits I didn’t know about before I started, and they are by far the best employer I’ve worked for ! Very fair salary too.

Excellent Place to Work

I have worked at Langdon for a month now and have thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I have an amazing supportive team and network. All staff members that I have had the pleasure of meeting have been very welcoming, supportive, patient and helpful. I would recommend working for Devon Partnership Trust to anyone as this organisation is innovative, proactive, creative and overall a wonderful place to work. The management teams are approachable, no question is a silly question and are happy to listen to any feedback or queries. The workplace culture is very positive, everyone engages with each other and we are all here for the same purpose of ensuring that the patients and employees are receiving a fantastic service.

Pros

Great Location, Amazing Colleagues, Free Parking, Great Facillities

Cons

Na

Bullying

Bullying from management is rife and apparently acceptable in the trust. The majority of their improvements are tick box exercises and are just hollow promises. I wish I didn’t bother.

Pros

Some supportive colleagues.

Cons

Be on your guard for manipulation.

Would not recommend working for DPT

Worked for DPT for 21 years, would not recommend a position there, bullying is rife from middle management, extremely high staff turn-over, can be punitive towards staff.

Avoid working here.

It's a very, very bad place to work. Meetings clog up the day. More admin focused than patient focused. Morale rock bottom. Tears and tales of bullying abound. On a daily basis colleagues tell you of their wish to leave. And they normally do. Expressions of interest for senior posts, so if you're not in the email list, you've no chance. Interview coaching for the super priveledged.

Productive and re-assuring

Shadowing potential job roles with DPT has been a useful experience and i would highly recommend taking the opportunity if it arises. There are various roles within this Partnership which offer the chance to advance your skills.

working in DPT

I have had a number of roles since I started in DPT a number of years ago. There are far more opportunities to develop your skills in a number of areas-if you are qualified that is (I am). I feel for the staff who are not who harbour interests in developing their careers, in-service opportunities need to be developed. Wish the money for vacant consultant posts could be put towards developing lower waged staff. DPT has forged close links with a number of agencies, so opportunities to work alongside Primary care, Police, CJS, paramedics, SMS etc.. I have returned to DPT in the past after leaving to work in other areas and have always been happy to come back.

Pros

senior staff listen more than they used to, wellbeing of staff is much better addressed than it used to be, quite good training and CPD opportunities

Cons

Work extra hours and not always paid for these, limited roles to develop clinically if you do not want to go into management, significant pressure on acute inpatient beds and CMHT/Crisis teams, (no assertive outreach teams, this would help prevent admissions)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Devon Partnership NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement