Devon Partnership NHS Trust

Devon Partnership NHS Trust Employee Reviews

Featured review
Devon Partnership NHS Trust selected this as a representative review
I have worked for DPT in a variety of posts since its beginning. I feel valued and supported and have had many opportunities to develop professionally. DPT is a large organisation and therefore can offer both posts in various specialties and career progression. I have taken advantage of both of these opportunities. The most enjoyable part of the job is supporting individuals with mental health issues to work towards their own recovery and independence. The most challenging part of the job is sometimes working with individuals who are very unwell and can present with some challenging behaviours
Pros
Positive culture
I love working for DPT. I have been offered plenty of opportunities to progress in my career. Training opportunities have been both in management positions as well as in clinical development. I have had 7 positions across the Trust including both inpatient and community across 3 localities. Torbay is a difficult area to work due to high caseloads, bed pressures and inadequate and absent management. Unfortunately, the poor management in this area casts a shadow over those who are trying to elicit change and improve the quality of services for both its clients and staff. Senior management in secure services are incredibly supportive and they really value all members of staff. They are also ready to pull up their sleeves and get stuck in when needed and you often see them on the wards. Nurses are valued and cared for across the secure directorate. The Practice Education Team are supportive and ready to guide nurses through the opportunities for training and development that the Trust offer and what opportunities are coming up.
Pros
Plenty of career development opportunities. Good pay. Good Holliday. Flexible working.
Cons
Short staffing and bed shortages are a National issue
Been in the job to many years ,poor management and not the best to work for, can be very stressful and not supported very well , yearly trading updates,good holidays, good pay
I have worked for DPT for around 18 months having previously worked in Trusts across Somerset, Devon and Plymouth. DPT is without doubt the best organisation I have worked for- I feel valued and supported in my role and feel like I am able to give high standards of care that my patients deserve. The teams I have worked in have been supportive and healthy environments and the management is far better than elsewhere in the region. The HR department are very helpful and the recruitment process couldn't have been easier. Overall, I can't recommend DPT highly enough, whether you're a newly qualified or experienced professional, someone from Devon or relocating from elsewhere in the country, you'll be welcomed with open arms at DPT.
Pros
very supportive, excellent training
I have just received a formal job offer, I am yet to start working. My interview was fair, it was a good experience to go through, though there were some online technical problems. I received kind, thorough feedback afterwards with reasonable comments and suggestions. Although written confirmation took a little time to arrive, once it came, I was given prompt updates. I feel supported and motivated and am looking forward to starting work with the team.
I´ve felt supported along the whole interview process. Everyone in the team is helpful and supportive.Very happy to be part of such a professional team.
My worst experience in a trust . Managers are only interested in fire fighting . Quality of patient care is just lip service here , no wonder CQC are worried about the services this trust provides . I would urge anyone to think twice before applying for a job here.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Horrible senior leadership . They use you like pawns
Official response from Devon Partnership NHS Trust
23 November 2020
Dear Doctor,I am sorry that you are not having a good experience working at this Trust. I would really value some more detailed feedback (confidentially if you wish) and the opportunity to address your concerns. Please do contact me if you would be willing to discuss this in more detail. My email address is jonathan.shoebridge2@nhs.netThank you in advance,Jonathan Shoebridge - Head of Medical Workforce
the staff really care about patients I had a buddy before I started which was really helpful as it made starting work much less stressful they seem keen to support my training and development
Pros
NHS benefits, pension, holiday
Cons
shift work
I have worked for DPT for 12 months and I'm based at Secure Services in Dawlish. It's fast-paced (which I enjoy), and my colleagues have become firm-friends. It is hard work but I have a real sense that I'm playing some part in improving the lives of people with mental health and learning disability challenges - and that sense of fulfillment is not something too many jobs can give you.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
You need to feel comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
DPT is a mental health employer who support staff well and ensure that they listen to their staff. I feel that my managers are excellent in what they do and that I am given the ability to do my job freely whilst still feeling supported. My team is great and my job is interesting and rewarding
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Commute to work
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Devon Partnership NHS Trust?
Couldn’t recommend working for DPT more. Management are super helpful and supportive, especially during these times where things are tricky. Felt very welcomed into the team and can see myself working for them for the foreseeable. Working for the NHS has so many benefits I didn’t know about before I started, and they are by far the best employer I’ve worked for ! Very fair salary too.
I have worked at Langdon for a month now and have thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I have an amazing supportive team and network. All staff members that I have had the pleasure of meeting have been very welcoming, supportive, patient and helpful. I would recommend working for Devon Partnership Trust to anyone as this organisation is innovative, proactive, creative and overall a wonderful place to work. The management teams are approachable, no question is a silly question and are happy to listen to any feedback or queries. The workplace culture is very positive, everyone engages with each other and we are all here for the same purpose of ensuring that the patients and employees are receiving a fantastic service.
Pros
Great Location, Amazing Colleagues, Free Parking, Great Facillities
Cons
Na
Bullying from management is rife and apparently acceptable in the trust. The majority of their improvements are tick box exercises and are just hollow promises. I wish I didn’t bother.
Pros
Some supportive colleagues.
Cons
Be on your guard for manipulation.
Worked for DPT for 21 years, would not recommend a position there, bullying is rife from middle management, extremely high staff turn-over, can be punitive towards staff.
It's a very, very bad place to work. Meetings clog up the day. More admin focused than patient focused. Morale rock bottom. Tears and tales of bullying abound. On a daily basis colleagues tell you of their wish to leave. And they normally do. Expressions of interest for senior posts, so if you're not in the email list, you've no chance. Interview coaching for the super priveledged.
Shadowing potential job roles with DPT has been a useful experience and i would highly recommend taking the opportunity if it arises. There are various roles within this Partnership which offer the chance to advance your skills.
I have had a number of roles since I started in DPT a number of years ago. There are far more opportunities to develop your skills in a number of areas-if you are qualified that is (I am). I feel for the staff who are not who harbour interests in developing their careers, in-service opportunities need to be developed. Wish the money for vacant consultant posts could be put towards developing lower waged staff. DPT has forged close links with a number of agencies, so opportunities to work alongside Primary care, Police, CJS, paramedics, SMS etc.. I have returned to DPT in the past after leaving to work in other areas and have always been happy to come back.
Pros
senior staff listen more than they used to, wellbeing of staff is much better addressed than it used to be, quite good training and CPD opportunities
Cons
Work extra hours and not always paid for these, limited roles to develop clinically if you do not want to go into management, significant pressure on acute inpatient beds and CMHT/Crisis teams, (no assertive outreach teams, this would help prevent admissions)
As with all small trusts it’s not what you know but who you know, nepotism is key. Wish I had stayed in the Midlands as this is an appalling trust to work for. No staff other than agencies on some wards, management deafness and passive aggressive bullies.
I worked here for approximately 5 years as band 6 in this time there was little opportunity to progress. However I was able to participate in academics study, but no study time granted. Staff are lovely at Bristol dementia wellbeing service
At interview I requested flexible working and this was agreed there and then. I feel this company is very proactive in caring for their staffs wellbeing
The most enjoyable part of the job was the team I worked with, their unquestionable support with my difficulties in returning to work and the trust's flexible approach to delivery
Pros
Supportive team
Cons
Length of time to start work, short term post