Devon Partnership NHS Trust

Devon Partnership NHS Trust Employee Reviews for Nurse

Featured review
Devon Partnership NHS Trust selected this as a representative review
I have worked for DPT in a variety of posts since its beginning. I feel valued and supported and have had many opportunities to develop professionally. DPT is a large organisation and therefore can offer both posts in various specialties and career progression. I have taken advantage of both of these opportunities. The most enjoyable part of the job is supporting individuals with mental health issues to work towards their own recovery and independence. The most challenging part of the job is sometimes working with individuals who are very unwell and can present with some challenging behaviours
Pros
Positive culture
I love working for DPT. I have been offered plenty of opportunities to progress in my career. Training opportunities have been both in management positions as well as in clinical development. I have had 7 positions across the Trust including both inpatient and community across 3 localities. Torbay is a difficult area to work due to high caseloads, bed pressures and inadequate and absent management. Unfortunately, the poor management in this area casts a shadow over those who are trying to elicit change and improve the quality of services for both its clients and staff. Senior management in secure services are incredibly supportive and they really value all members of staff. They are also ready to pull up their sleeves and get stuck in when needed and you often see them on the wards. Nurses are valued and cared for across the secure directorate. The Practice Education Team are supportive and ready to guide nurses through the opportunities for training and development that the Trust offer and what opportunities are coming up.
Pros
Plenty of career development opportunities. Good pay. Good Holliday. Flexible working.
Cons
Short staffing and bed shortages are a National issue
I have worked for DPT for around 18 months having previously worked in Trusts across Somerset, Devon and Plymouth. DPT is without doubt the best organisation I have worked for- I feel valued and supported in my role and feel like I am able to give high standards of care that my patients deserve. The teams I have worked in have been supportive and healthy environments and the management is far better than elsewhere in the region. The HR department are very helpful and the recruitment process couldn't have been easier. Overall, I can't recommend DPT highly enough, whether you're a newly qualified or experienced professional, someone from Devon or relocating from elsewhere in the country, you'll be welcomed with open arms at DPT.
Pros
very supportive, excellent training
the staff really care about patients I had a buddy before I started which was really helpful as it made starting work much less stressful they seem keen to support my training and development
Pros
NHS benefits, pension, holiday
Cons
shift work
Very desperate organisation, promoting junior inexperienced staff, to levels that are dangerous. Clearly the criteria for leadership is 1) you must say yes 2) you work for free 3) you must focus on money not patients 4) you tick boxes first then worry about poor staff morale, lengthy waits for suffers. 5) avoid staff contact and hide. What is sad is that they can promote largely sometimes naive and innocent staff, but basically it’s the experienced staff beneath them holding them up. Lots of narcissism in management circles. Watch the stuff hit the fan and see who they blame ?
Pros
Patients
Cons
Managers