Dexters Estate Agent Group

Working at Dexters Estate Agent Group: Latest Dexters Estate Agent Group Reviews

United Kingdom33 reviews

Ok

It was OK - if you don't mind working on weekends and saturdays then you will be fine. They like young employees who can grow within the company. Good commision if you work hard.

Great job and team but powers above are awful

I was sold the best training programme but when I started I was paired with someone who had just joined. You are seen as just a number and as soon as you start to underperform even being new you are replaced. They had a meeting about all new starters at 6:30am in which my name was brought up and by midday I was told I’m they couldn’t offer me a full time role and I was sacked. The environment they create is toxic and everyone comes in scared that they will do something wrong or not hit their unrealistic targets. The basic salary is almost criminal. The social events are all about about hooking up with each-other. And in my directors words the Christmas party is “adult entertainment ”. They will sell you a dream but unless you fit in or out a favourite you have no chance. You aren’t allowed to to have your hair in certain ways and was told I need to have my hair braided and could save having my hair out for the weekend. Having long curly hair. It’s a great place to get on your cv as they are a big name so use it to progress your career. All the managers love doing sniff up to director level. Hours are long and they make you feel guilty for taking your whole break. I can’t fault my manger but that was down to him as a person and his level of skill had great experience with him and he really believed in me when the powers above did not. He was sad to see me go but ultimately he had no say. If you go far or do well with this company fair play.

Not the greatest

Very outdated humour, racist, sexist and predatory. Almost as though you are communicating with cave men. No repercussions for any boundaries crossed. Staff nights out are incestuous it’s all about who can hook up with who. If you have the title manager or higher you can get away with murder. Be careful, they train you to be sharks.

Unrealistic expectations by employer

Training is provided but you get thrown in at the deep end to swim or drown. Workload is immense while preparation is insufficient. Support is available but not well structured or adhered to.Probation period is typically 3-6 months but could be up to a year.

Pros

Reasonably well paid

Cons

Excessive work loads

Okay company to start at if you have minimal qualifications but not a company you want to spend your career with

You can make good money but at the same time you can work up to 60+hours a week and get paid less than minimum wage. You will also need to give up a large part of your social life

Women are not treated equally.

your typical day is 12 hours long, Lunch is 30 minutes, management are micro managers, Targets are unrealistic, The company would also prefer not to use the formal disciplinary procedure for poorly behaved/Under performing staff they have a protocol of " Managing out " You will also struggle to ever become senior management if you are a woman and would like to have a family. Dexters simply do not facilitate the two to go hand in hand, There are currently no female managing directors.

Pros

Socially beneficial.

Cons

Long hours, Comission clawbacks, minimal flexibility.

Official response from Dexters Estate Agent Group

28 August 2020
Thank you for your comments. Since Dexters opened its first office in Twickenham in 1993 we have never discriminated. We have always held the view that it's important to have diverse teams in our offices and we strive to have a different range of experience. We continuously monitor pay and we have reviewed all job categories and there are no anomalies for roles of the same level and job content. We are proud that 54% of our roles are held by women, and while we will always employ the best person for the job, by focusing on employing a higher proportion of female staff and investing in their career progression we continue to be confident this will filter through to our senior boards over the next few years. We’re doing the following to address this and meet our objective to have more women in senior board level and MD positions: • Identifying key people and implementing a fast track programme to management• Mentoring for all management roles• A dedicated work group focused on our female management development project including mentoring for up and coming women who are managers and directors of the future• Flexible working and job share roles at sales and lettings board level• A flexible return to work policy following maternity and paternity leaveMany colleagues are benefiting from this approach.

Inexperienced Hierarchy

This business is excellent for young trainees that do not mind working to the bone and not feel the need to be treated fairly and like a human. It is a company which allows you to earn an attractive salary at the cost of your life (and beard).

Aggressive and Manipulative

Managers and directors are aggressive and manipulative of their staff. once you leave they will try do what they can to claim back as much of your commission earned as possible.

Great workplace

love it, great place to work with great people and an amazing uncapped comission structure which gives you great earning potential and good job progression

Fun Workplace, Great Team Building

Worked in various sectors, and every team I worked with were welcoming and very helpful. Gave great advice and helped with any questions. They reward hard work.

Pros

rewards hardwork

Cons

Competitve

good workplace

• Setting the standard - My 9-month target was then set as a yearly (12 month) target for newly promoted lettings consultant. • Perfecting my customer service skills, as well as my ability to close a file with all paperwork received, money paid and contracts signed within a day on several occasions. The usual time to complete a file ranges from a week to a month.

Fun and fast paced workspace

i typical day at work is fast paced and can be stressful, but it is fun. everyone who works there is nice and friendly. The hardest part of the job is when there is a really busy day and it can be difficult to keep up with schedules.

Great For a First timer

If one has never worked as an estate agent it’s a great starting point. As long as you are friendly and upbeat and driven enough Dexter’s will like you. Very young culture, senior management want you to aspire to be like them and will flaunt their lavish cars at you, amongst agents I guess it helps with ‘driving’ a team forward. Overall good experience but could have left sooner. No perks 22days holiday

Poor

Avoid at all costs. Cowboy company. Treat employees awfully. Try making money out of employees and treat them like a source of revenue. Micro managed. Long hours. No reward or gratitude

Great company

Started at trainee level and they developed me very quickly. Pay increased with each promotion. Office culture- everyone is young which worked well for me as I was straight out of uni.

Pros

Development and opportunities

Cons

Micro Management

Progressive, rewarding company with incredible commission.

Dexters was one of the best places I've ever worked. I spent 5 years with them and saw constant promotions off the back of hard work. I can say that if you aren't money driven or not wanting to work long hours, then the job isn't for you. For someone who wants to put in the hard work and see their earnings go up, it's perfect. They always have social events within offices areas and then two big parties, one in Summer and one at Christmas. They go all out to make sure you feel like a member of something special, rather than just a number. I'm thankful for what I learnt here as it's somewhere I look back on fondly and grateful as it's set me up for life.

Great have a career

I have been able to forge my own career in the direction I wanted it to go and essentially have been in charge of my earnings! We have fun and I would work would tell Dexters to anyone!

Pros

Progression and various incentives

Cons

None!

Progression

I started my career at Dexters as an Office Support Administrator I have worked my way up to a Manager and love everything about the company. From the teams to the clients.

Pros

Progression

Cons

Nothing I can think of

On the whole, an amazing company

Dexters has plenty of opportunities from office admin, to estate and letting agents, to HR and plenty of opportunity to climb the career ladder. This isn't your average estate agent's. It really does feel like a family at work.

Pros

Chances to progress, good pay, good bonuses.

Cons

Depending on the department, but the hours can be long.

They feed you a lie

They make you believe you can exceed and make all this money but in actual fact, you are constantly battling between your colleagues for money. Arguments about commission, whose commission etc. The basic salary is so frightening low, incredibly male-dominated, who are all up each others arses all day every day, constantly badgering the same people to buy properties and it becomes so boring. Looked down upon for not making targets and is a very intimidating environment.

Pros

Going on viewings away from the office and breaks.

Cons

Being in the office.

Competitive Company

Fantastic working environment working with a host of vibrant personalities. Great commission structure giving people the opportunity to boost earnings

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dexters Estate Agent Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement