DHU Health Care CIC
Happiness score is 68 out of 100

DHU Health Care CIC: 46 Employee Reviews

United Kingdom46 reviews

Say goodbye to social life

Worked as a 111 call handler, The rota was crazy, I'd finish at 2am but be back in later the same day at 1pm.Rota works 6 on, 2 off and every 3rd week you get 6 days off.Pay was minimum wage, but extras for weekends and evenings.The job itself is stressful, but a good team of people willing to help.This can take a toll on mental health and you get burnt out quickly.There are a lot more suicidal calls and mental health calls than what they say you typically receive during training, they say average 1 a week, I was getting 1-2 a day and these are tough calls!

Pros

Helpful staff... NHS discount

Cons

Terrible shift pattern, so no social life

Brilliant

Never looked back since joining DHU. A relative young and forward thinking company that rewards you as an employee. The company offers a brilliant service to the general public so it's always busy but rewarding.

Horrendous from start to finish

Waited 14 weeks to start this job to be told to pack my bags and go home after 4 1/2 days. Extremely poor support in training and the whole process is misleading. Wouldn’t recommend anyone wasting their time.

Lovely place to work

Lovely but not it’s not for everyone. If you’ve got experience working in healthcare or a call centre then that helps but training is thorough and supportive.

Pros

Training

Cons

Breaks arnt long enough

Not a bad company, just need to work on HR

great place to work, great support from other other employees . just HR need to make the job more flexible for those with children. But saying that its still a lovely place to work with supportive managers and nurses

Lovely place to work!

I came on indeed specifically to read the reviews of the company and I'm really confused about what people have written. DHU are a kind, caring supportive company to work for. The shifts are picked by the staff member and the shift patterns are laid out clearly via email so you can pick. The training is 3 weeks classroom, 6 weeks call center, the training times won't match the schedule you've picked because you need to match the times that the training courses/coaches are available but after that you'll fall into your rota pattern. You have to take 3 entrance exams to get into the company, two written and one practical, if you pay attention in class these are very easy.The management team are lovely, as are the trainers. The company as a whole are lovely to work for!Prepare yourself for a fast-paced call center with a variety of calls, yes, some can be stressful, however the support given is amazing, they won't let you suffer in silence.I love working here and I'm so glad I joined.

Pros

lovely culture, fast paced, supporting, caring, compassionate company

Cons

none that I've found yet!

Inconsistent approach to HR policies

Having worked in this environment I was very lucky to have a good and supportive manager who allowed me to work autonomously.The issues I faced were the inconsistent application to the HR policies and this depended on if the HR team liked you or not. They also have hidden clauses in policies that they expect you to know when signing any contract.Misleading and unethical

Cons

Poor application of HR policies

draining and stressful

Very tiring job, you think you're going into the job to help people when really you are just passing them onto to someone else after the assessment is finished. Everything is monitored even down to "unscheduled time" eg going to the toilet or making a drink if it's not within your 30 minute break which is only given if you work over a 6 hour shift. HA don't get enough recognition for the work they do.

Pros

classroom training is good

Cons

once out in the call centre expected to know everything, made to feel stupid if you don't or don't get it right first time

Fantastic

Lovely company to work for!! Fantastic supportive team and well paid work. I feel recognised and appreciated for my level of training and dedicated hard work.

Stressful but rewarding

Very fast paced, non stop calls, very isolating as because of high call volumes there's little time to interact with other colleagues.Work 3/4 weekends. Pay does not reflect job responsibilities.Lots of overtime available with incentives.

Pros

Lots of overtime available with extra pay incentives

Cons

Regular pay is rubbish, not much times between calls, stressful

Fast paced

Very fast paced. Mentally draining but pay was good. You have to work 3/4 weekends a month which wasn’t something I could anymore due to childcare issues.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

You have to work 3/4 weekends a month

really good

really good, buisness, amazing collegues. is really good to help patients in there time of need. the support here is outstanding, made friends for life.

Love stress? No social life? This is the perfect job

The other negative reviews are spot-on. Call handlers are treated like cr*p. When they can only retain HALF of their staff, there's definitely problems. The classroom training is fantastic, once you're doing the "practical" side in the call centre then it all goes downhill. Different coaches teach you different things, every rule has an exception (sometimes several), and you have to reference procedure manuals, emails, personal and on-line notes and advice lines just to find out how to handle certain situations. The managers don't practice what they preach (empathy etc), and are only concerned about how many calls you can manage, and how long you take on each one. DHU is all about the numbers, and not about the patients. It is possible to be "too helpful".

Pros

The rewarding calls where you know you've helped someone

Cons

Everything else

Complete and utter toss

Nightmare place, ops management are up their own behinds. Timed for your toilet breaks. Total garbage. They make out like they care but it’s allJust box ticking rubbish!

Pros

Free parking…mostly

Cons

Everything about the place

Enjoyed my time here

Good if you can get threw the initial training it is quite intense. Good support from trainers and managers. You don't really learn the job till you doing the job.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Lots of time sitting

Best place I've worked

Having spent many years in the ambulance service and numerous years working as an agency clinician in various places, DHU and Loughborough Urgent Treatment Centre was the first time I felt comfortable moving employer. Don't get me wrong, nowhere is perfect and everywhere has issues, so it's no different in that respect to other hospitals and services. Less than a year in and I've already got funding for my Masters which was facilitated and supported by work, the CPD and training is regular and good quality, and the team at LUTC are fantastic. Work life balance is great and all my NHS benefits I've worked hard for (annual leave, pension etc) are all carried over.It's interesting to see the negative reviews, they're based around the 111 service which (from personal experience) is the same in many different parts of the country. The LUTC may be busy, bustling and hard work but it's forward thinking, well supported, challenging and very rewarding. I can see myself being here for many years to come.

Pros

Training, support, great team

Cons

Hard work (but where isn't!?)

Professional and supportive

I have worked for DHU at LUTC since March. The team are very friendly and supportive. There is a broad level of advanced clinical experience and expertise with clinicians willing to share their knowledge and support you when needed. I was anxious about making the move from a role I held for 10 years in General Practice but can honestly say I haven’t looked back and am so glad I made the move. I have learnt so much in my new role and have enjoyed getting to know my new colleagues. 😊 The recruitment process was rather lengthy though but if you are thinking of applying don’t let that put you off.

Skills and knowledge recognised

I have been working for DHU for 5 years. I am based at Loughborough Urgent Care Centre and can honestly say it is the best place I have ever worked in my NHS career. We have an amazing team who make everyone welcome and support each other. There is always someone you can go to with any issues or queries. There is no bad atmosphere and a very inclusive and collaborative way of working. Management are fantastic and supportive. I would recommend this place to work.

Pros

Welcoming, friendly team

Cons

Pay too low for my skills

DIsorganised and DIsinterested.

The mechanics of the job itself are not particularly bad, but the company is run so poorly- After training I was sent out to do the job expecting monthly 121 sessions, of which it took 9 months to receive my first one..Higher ups can only be contactable via email, resulting in every request endings in either being ignored or taking months to be actioned.Management is very, very cliquey, those that rub shoulders with the correct people are granted infinite leniency and those that don't fit are treated as meat for the conveyer.Required to make clinical decisions beyond the scope of your training and experience due to them being constantly short-staffed. Turnover is head-spinning, they'll tell you "this job isn't for everyone" but they just don't care about you. ​You're not here to help people, you're here to fill in a set number questionnaires a day in order to hit company targets.You need to arrive 20 minutes early unpaid because none of the IT works, if you need to stay late you will not be paid for your time. Your pa is very frequently incorrect which again takes months to action and if you are lucky enough to leave then they will contact you to tell you that you owe them money. Just a toxic, unprofessional and dehumanising environment in every sense.

Pros

Airconditioned?

Cons

Everything else.

Not much back

There has been a definite change in culture recently. The way you're treated depends on the colour of your lanyard. They are worryingly short staffed and so bombard you with text messages asking you to work extra. I never consented for my number to be used this way. When you do offer extra hours, there is no appreciation in fact the response is usually "is that all you can offer?" My appraisal was cancelled last minute and I was not informed. I had to call the ops desk to ask why it wasn't happening at the planned time. I've had no contact with my manager for a 121 meeting for over 6 months. They are supposed to happen monthly.

Pros

Flexible and good benefits

Cons

No support. Poor culture

Soul Destroying Work

Extremely stressful, faced paced job. You are regularly verbally abused over the phone by patients who basically don't like the fact you can't do for them what they want you to do, micromanaged to within and inch of your life, to the point where you have veiled threats made by managment in your 1-1 of disciplinaries/retraining programmes if your toilet 'break allowance' isn't to their desired target, You're expected to have difficult conversions with patients regularly and negotiatate with very little support but then reprimanded in your 1-1 if your call lengths are too high. There is a culture among management of 'if your face fits' Any suggestions made to improve You're job role are instantly dismissed. Alarmingly high staff turn over, very target driven, staff are treated like robotic drones and expected to fit into a little tick boxes rather than treated as diverse individuals. There are some benefits, Westfield insurance (that costs around £5 a month) and NHS pension and as they are desperate for staff due the turn over being so high, they often pay good incentives for overtime.

Pros

Over times incentive is good, Good pension

Cons

Stressful, Micromanaged

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DHU Health Care CIC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement