Diamond Light Source

Diamond Light Source Employee Reviews

Challenging

I worked at diamond light source for 2 years I loved every minute of the job the people and the surroundings. work load sometimes good be very stressful but all in all a very good place to work!

world class infrastructure but poor pay and career advancement

Overall customer satisfaction is often a lower priority than doing things the way management wants them done (from the perspective of software). Management is extremely passive aggressive, and the social camaraderie at lunch can often become an uncomfortable work discussion. It takes a thick skin and a lot of forgiveness to be happy here. Despite co-workers being very friendly, people mostly won't stand up for one another when the boss gets ornery. A fair amount of throwing under the bus happens, but not vengefully - more simply out of ducking for cover when the boss is on a rampage. There is a rather large, rather organically grown code base that is quite fragile. I was frequently under uncomfortable pressure to fix problems that I introduced by fixing some other part of the code base. Integration tests, you say? There were none when I started. There are now a few, but by no means complete for the complexity of these systems. Unit tests will require monumental effort and time. The major downside of software I see at Diamond is how much software serves a compensatory role. Much of the software is a hack, and a lot of confusion and finger pointing results. Further, the tiny software team is completely fragmented, with each internal project typically only having a single developer working on it. Code review did not feel welcome - other programmers were friendly about it, but ultimately avoidant. Other problems: - Low salary compared to the high cost-of-living. - career progression is limited. - you should expect to be managed by a line manager who is not expert in your field. -

Fun workplace

For a young student entering the workplace, Diamond Light Source made sure I felt welcome during my two week stay. During the two weeks I was taught about IT security which I felt I left with a reasonable amount of knowledge about.

Pros

great environment

Cons

Long travelling distance

Recommended without a doubt

Diamond is a great place to work! You get all sort of benefits that in a private company you couldn't even dream about. Here there is a chance to learn something new every single day, you can learn from experienced engineers, scientists, PhD physicists, highly qualified technical staff and more. There is a career plan that allows you to develop yourself further. Diamond invest a lot of money in training its employees and encourages you to keep learning new skills! One of the best aspects of this company is the people you work with on a daily basis as everyone here is happy and eager to help you by sharing their years of experience with you without hesitation, strengthening your knowledge in a much faster pace than in a private company. On top of that, a very generous pension scheme that is way better than any other company out there makes a big difference when it comes to compare the salaries.

Pros

People, personal development, learning opportunities, great work environment

Cons

Everything needs a bit of time to accomplish, but it gets done sooner or later!

Inspirational workplace, terrible management

Diamond is a great place to work, but managers are typical of science institutions where they've been promoted to a high management grade on the basis of scientific exploits. No mentoring, development and poor on boarding process.

could develop people.

relies too much on people not leaving because no one wants to lose the final salary-ish pension.the backlash is that there are lots of uninspired people.

not a good place to work

Coordinating from the global scientific community to come into the company and use specialised equipment for their experiments. Training them in health & safety before they can gain access to the labs. Working alongside groundbreaking scientists. Making sure that everything is in place for their needs when they arrive, being very fastidious about the quality I kept my labs in. All in line with UKAS and ISO14001, so labs were always available with no cross contamination from anyone else's experiments.

Pros

good salary and flexi leave

Cons

bad management practices

fun and productive

I was in charge of my own workshop and I started at 6.00 a.m and worked most days to 18.00. I worked for over 7 years building and wiring control panels and racks plus part design of updates on said equipment. Overall it was the best job and best time of my life. I felt privileged to have worked on such a project and to have worked with so many brilliant and helpful people

Pros

Cons

12 hours a day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Diamond Light Source. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement

Diamond Light Source Reviews by Location

• Diamond Light Source
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?