Difference Engine

Difference Engine Reviews with Jobs

Good place to learn how to be a developer

The Difference Engine is an apprenticeship volunteer company. It is a great resource for learning the software development life cycle for new developers

Interesting place to be

This business is meant to make people aware of the many opportunities in the Chicago land area especially in the tech sector but as well as business in general.

A very productive, helpful & fun place

Excellent founders Great work job culture Excellent place to learn new stuffs Exponential growth curve A fun place to work Monthly demo days to share your work for that month

Great way to get into coding

Enjoyed my time at Actualize and the Difference Engine. It's incredible the opportunities building applications. We actually build a web site that helped US Veterans, learned something, and gained a huge sense of accomplishment in the process.

Pros

Learning to build web applications is incredible marketable

Cons

Agism in hiring

Fun

Fun and Good-will work. Everyday we had new tasks to do. Often gathered in groups to try to figure out situations and code. Often did a lot of debugging.

Good people and team

I met wonderful people here. It was a good team I was in last time I worked there. You were assigned projects and there were managers that would look upon you for help and guidance.

Difference Engine Apprenticeship

Typical Day: The apprenticeship is Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 6pm - 9pm. You get together with your assigned groups and do a quick scrum before tackling a continuing issue or a new one. Tech leads are onsite if you need support.

Pros

Friendly people and challenging problems.

Cons

Doesn't pay.

Great org all around

Great company mission, and great life experience. It has prepped me for what to expect when I take a paid full-time development position. Agile work environment.

Great for gaining experience

The Difference Engine is a non profit staffed with volunteers and independent contractors. It is a great organization to build experience and possibly do some good.

Client Experience

Great place to start getting real world experience. Helps you to continue to grow and expand your knowledge with building real world applications for clients.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Difference Engine?

Review

The Difference Engine is a good place to start working and learning about programing in an Agile environment. A great place to begin a career in web development.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Difference Engine. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement