Dignity Funerals
Happiness score is 42 out of 100

Dignity Funerals Employee Reviews

United Kingdom161 reviews

Featured review

Dignity Funerals selected this as a representative review
The branch of dignity I work at is a great place to work staff and management are supportive and professional The care of the deceased and their families is exceptional The base pay is not the greatest but there are opportunities to increase that with on call hours making it a good annual wage All in all a great place to work

Pros

Bonuses, pension scheme, etc

If your face fits your OK

After working for Dignity a few years it became apparent that if your face did not fit you got work or not. Management was very poor and did not support you in any way. Working in a very old building there was no space to move. Wages are very poor for what you do.

Pros

Decent training

Cons

Low pay, Always on call, very poor management.

Insights into Dignity Funerals

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Poisonous toxic culture

Poor company no support no care for the families or deceased just all financially driven so corners get cut. You speak up you get shot down. A very toxic environment from senior management and HR. If the directors knew what was going on here they would loose half the work force. A very corrupt environment. Massive changes over the next few months with people applying for the own jobs and numbers being cut. Poor salaries for the staff on the ground and poor training. Dignity will go bust within the next few years so stay well clear if you value job security.

Pros

Cons

Toxic environment

Staffing levels

I worked in a care centre and the staffing levels were about half of what they should be. The pace of work was ok for me but others struggled. The team work and morale was poor but some team members cherry picked the jobs they did. Some magical disappearing tricks when it was busy or towards the end of the shift. Team leadership was terrible..

Poor working conditions

Stressful atmosphere, lack of leadership. Lack of care & welfare of employees, no care for the amount of hours worked, do not care about EU working directive.

It's what you make of it.

Dignity gives you the opportunity to progress. In what ever direction you want to go in. My manager is very nice. Some areas in dignity are very different and not for the best atmosphere

Pros

Helping family's

Cons

Don't pay enough

Overall

Great place to work, felt inclusive, diverse, and great staff camaraderie.Support is provided along every step of the way. Great training. Thorough.

Pros

Staff bonus

Bad company to work for. Don't work for them

This company is a disgrace. Back stabbing unpleasant staff who will happily grass you up to management for a small mistake even if you have been there just a week. If you have a grievance nothing will get done about it either. Terrible pay. Some of the funeral homes smell of damp and mould. Very dated. The Oncall rota you are expected to work once a month 24/7 and still expected to come in first thing the next day. They also have favourites and if your face doesn't fit you may as well quit straight away.Some individuals care about their work but mainly the majority are only interested in sitting on their backsides eating takeaways and cakes!! I wld recommend anyone interested in the funeral business to try an independent home. This is the worst company I have ever worked for.

Don’t Pay

A real poor company to work for. 4 months with no pay . Management is shocking the right hand doesn’t know what what the left is doing. Management and HR are most amateur standard I’ve ever seen. High turn over of staff tells own story.

Staff not helpful

Staff not helpful you feel like a number in the book no praise when do things good if you make a mistake they come down hard on you no support from management

Total mismanagement from the top down!

Working in the funeral industry comes with a certain stigma. The people who carry out this essential work therefore deserve a lot of credit for doing what others couldn't see themselves doing. Companies who are the big players in the industry have been steadily increasing prices while deconstructing pay structures for those who carry out all the leg work and it leaves a bitter taste in the back of your throat. On what I earn I couldn't afford a funeral from my own company!

Pros

None.

Cons

Poor working conditions, Health and safety violations are ignored, Poor salary, No bonus scheme, Avoid at all costs!

An excellent company to work for. Excellent training is given and you can make good progress within the company.

A very rewarding role which takes a special kind of person to do. Excellent support from both the funeral manager and other members of staff throughout. Probably the most rewarding job I have had.

Avoid!!!

Such a toxic workplace, very much an “if your face fits” type of environment. Very old-fashioned as the company refuses to move with the times. The office is very cliquey and gossiping is constant. Favouritism towards certain employees is not only tolerated but accepted. Made to feel like you have no skills. Couldn’t wait to get out of there.

Cons

Wonderful industry. Shame about the senior management

The industry itself is wonderful. What better way to care for someone than to help them on their final journey. The senior management, however are not so great. They are manipulative, condescending, and cronyism is rife.

Poor Culture and Retention

Working at Dignity was one of the most stressful experiences of my life. I was victimized by other staff members and constantly had people talking behind my back including management. I was made to feel like I had no skill set. I had very minimal training - but was yet expected to know everything and there seemed to be a reluctance to change. There was no respect for health and safety with members of the team displaying COVID symptoms but still turning up to work, with very little response from management. Having brought up my work related stress, there were no options of support layed out which worsened my mental health. I had no choice but to move on - but god I'm glad I did, it is really no surprise there was so many people leaving.

Pros

Cons

Poor culture

A steady job around good people

Dignity Provided me with good employment,steady work and a fellowship feel at all branches, quality people made it a pleasure to work alongside, very helpful when trying to help others in times of distress

Pros

Helping others in need, great value in the work undertaken

Cons

Work all day on call all night, work all next day can be exhausting

Fast paced and busy but interesting

Wonderful team, very friendly and supportive. Work is fast paced and sometimes busy but everyone looks out for one another. Great opportunities to work in different aspects of bereavement.

Strangest company

I was so exited to finally get into the industry. Staff at the branch are amazing and the care of the deceased is amazing. They really do care. However management had no people skills what so ever. Wasn’t made to feel welcome as a casual. Told that the role I had applied for never really works out. Put a seed of doubt in my mind. I was meant to be helping in the office too but the staff were too busy to show me anything ( not their fault) so spent a majority of the time sitting around. Was all very odd. Also expect u to work 8 weeks without being paid.

Pros

Rewarding job if shown what to do

Cons

Unorganised hostile

A positive culture

From day one it was clear that everyone within the branch takes pride in their work of supporting the deceased and the bereaved. Everything is carefully planned and each funeral has a personal touch throughout the whole process. The dignity shown in the work and the traditional, yet evolving ways of working are what makes this place stand out.

Pros

Rewarding job, good work/life balance

Cons

Low pay

Great Company to work for

Great career opportunities, internal vacancies access to all, staff referral program. The staff and management team are very friendly, open and honest. Proud to work for a company that provides excellent service.

Pros

Free Parking, Staff Referral, job satisfaction and rewarding

Cons

There are none

Official response from Dignity Funerals

19 November 2021
Thank you for sharing your positive experience of working at Dignity! We hope that you have a long and rewarding career with us!

Management dont care for there staff

Trust me dont work for this company staff mourell very low if your face fits all well and good if not god help you management dont trust them at all

Pros

Cons

No social life money is not worth getting out of bed for the work you do

Official response from Dignity Funerals

19 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are very sorry to hear that your experience of working at Dignity was not a positive one. We would love to discuss this further to understand where we can improve. If you would like to reach out and discuss this further, please feel free to email me at Jade.wright@Dignityuk.co.uk

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dignity Funerals. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement