Direct Line Group

Direct Line Group Employee Reviews

Featured review
Direct Line Group selected this as a representative review
I absolutely love working for the Directline group and genuinely don’t ever see myself leaving. Progression is a little slow in the claims department but that’s because your trained to the maximum and capable of handling everything thrown at you. However there are so many roles in different departments that you can progress to. The pay is not amazing and other companies do pay more for the same role but you want to actually enjoy your job and the people around you. Majority of the Birmingham team leaders are great and approachable and the new line manager actually listens and you can have a general chit chat.
28 April 2020
Hi there! Thank you for sharing your review and it's great to hear how much you love it here too! :)
I worked here for a good few years at the start it loved it but soon realised the management are unprofessional and hypocritical and certainly do not have your best interests and welfare at heart. The only good thing i can say if the pay is decent. Don’t bother.
Most enjoyable part of job is dealing with customers and colleagues. Management can be atrocious, depending on the department. Some team leaders will look to manage out people if their face doesn't fit. Company likes to think it is sympathetic towards mental health issues but this doesn't translate to reality. The management really don't know how to deal with it and will not take it into account for anything.
Incredibly stressful as you’re under pressure constantly to meet targets.The pay and benefits are really good and the only thing that keeps you in the job.Everybody gets opportunities to move up and advance within the business however don’t expect to stay there long. I got diagnosed with depression and needed a few weeks off, I came back after not getting paid for my absence and was casted aside and never given an opportunity to do anything again.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours, constantly under pressure, seen as a number and not a human.
I've really enjoyed working for DLG over the years. You do have to work hard and always think ahead here, you need to take charge of your own development but the company has great learning resources and people who are willing to support you.The culture is great and has been amazing during COVID-19, they have really listened to staff and done all they can to make sure you and your family are OK during these difficult times.
Pros
Great benefits and culture
I was bored and sad at this place. The staff weren’t nice somewhere lovely but full training wasn’t given on the job. Too many policies to read and too much to take on first few days too stressful no time to settle in miracles were needed overnight.
Pros
Not enough petrol money
Cons
Travelling from one place to another
They are a brilliant company to work for given the hard time with covid they offer you all the support and advice u need to do your job to the best of your abilities. Management is helpful and alway easy to contact. Working in a team on the hone give a good community for work and u do make friends very quickly.
Pros
Doscount of prodcuts
Cons
Still using an old system called UIS
fast paced but opportunities to advance and very thorough training, staff generally friendly but can be a bit them and us as a large number of family members can often work in the regional offices
Pros
all the usual you would expect from large insurer
Cons
not too many
Didn’t fit in, didn’t enjoy half of it and the people didn’t really treat me right. Was supposed to be a green flag family and I didn’t feel like I was part of a family at all
Pros
Breaks and lunch’s and salary
Cons
The shift times
You have to stick to a script and overcome many software problems in the antiquated computer system.The company requires you to agree with company mantras even though it is obvious they don't believe in them.However having said that they did act very sympathetically when I was taken very seriously ill and had a lengthy spell off work, I was fully paid for 12 months.
Pros
Discounted insurance
Cons
Poor pay and unrealistic expectations of staff and almost no scope for career progression
If you value your mental health stay well away from glasgow branch of dlg, There is a few great people here but the vast majority are the worst kind of malicious people you could possibly find.. I know of one person who went on and attempted suicide after working here, They have mental health teams in place but would you trust the confidentiality of talking to them in an environment that thrives on gossip.
The work was demanding but the rewards was appealing. The managers were always on hand to help and support you. I learnt to follow FCA regulations and adhere to it.
I love working at direct line they do look after you, during covid they have protected wages and bonus working or not. There are great benefits. I feel ive been properly supported during lockdown and as such would go out my way for them. The only downside is pay after being graded as over for the last 2 years they hire people who negotiate their salary coming in meaning you have new starters starting on more money than existing staff which decreases morale and drive within the company.
Pros
Benefits, Brilliant support network
Cons
Pay
7 September 2020
We're so pleased to hear that you feel DLG have supported you and the rest of our colleagues throughout these challenging times. Our people are what makes DLG special and we couldn't do it without them! Thank you very much for your review.
Completed 8 weeks if training, spent 1 week on department then left. Week 5-8 of training utterly disgraceful, no preparation, Team Leader chooses to be present only when it suits, when help or support is needed you are left waiting for too long for an answer, later weeks of training had no structure, no training or advice on how to deal with difficult scenarios/confrontations with customers. Appreciate you may need to be a certain type of person for this industry but feel i was hired to help only with influx of Covid claims which brought a very negative mental state. Constant irrelevant emails and a never ending case of 'pass the buck' between handlers, no case owenership.
7 September 2020
Thanks for your review. We strive to ensure that everyone who joins Direct Line Group get's the best possible start to their career with top quality training and induction. It's disappointing to hear your comments and if you would be happy to get in touch with the HR team we'd appreciate the opportunity to look into this.
Never 2 days off at the same time. Every day off feels like a Sunday in comparison to normal jobs. Unrealistc KPI and targets and over priced insurance in most cases for *no reason*. Money is good but the shadow of not having a life hangs over it in my opinion. Do not recommend
Pros
Free coffee/tea, friendly team, money
Cons
No personal life, silly unrealistic targets, pressure from management, no career progression
The store management and staff are recist and the organisation is institutionally racist in my opinion. The default mentality is you are dishonest and a thief. A very unpleasant culture where bullying is used to eventually make you leave or get into trouble with management. I truly and honestly recommend you stay away from this employer for the sake of your health.
Pros
Senior management do acknowledge branch mangement are in adequate.
Cons
Branch mangement and staff recist and bullying culture.
7 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re committed to building a business that is truly representative of communities across Britain, where we welcome difference, whatever an individual’s ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, belief, ability or socio-economic background. It's concerning to read these comment and we'd really like the opportunity to look into the points you've raised. If you're happy to, we'd really appreciate it if you got in touch with the HR team so we can investigate.
It was a nice company to work for when I started many years ago. The focus was on clients as it should always be, there was also focus on staff too. Sadly over the years and in my personal opinion, were less concerned with staff feedback and turned into a 'machine'.
For me i always thought call centre work would not be my calling as I found it intimidating. This however turned out to be the best job I’ve ever had as a young man. The social skills you acquire just from speaking on a daily basis to customers has helped me better approach different aspects of my life such as interviews or flexing to another person to help not feel as awkward in conversation.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Very stressful
17 July 2020
Thank you for leaving a review. We're pleased to hear you were able to develop new skills during your time at DLG.
The salary reflects the role but the people are what make the place. Easy to progress if that's what you're interested in as well. Typical office environment
17 July 2020
Thank you for leaving a review. We completely agree that it's our colleagues that make DLG such a great place to work!
Worked here for 3 years and I can honestly say worst place to work. It was physically and mentally draining, the management within the motor services and sales dept don’t care about you as an individual, your just a number. Poor management- self driven management, don’t care about you as you are merely a number who can be replaced, no reasonable adjustments provided this company is not disability friendly at all. The 3 years I was there I filled out a DSE 8 times and not once did I have an assessment. I took this up with my manager at the time only for her to say to me that I don’t require an assessment as my back looks perfectly fine. Throughout my time working here It was stressful we was not allowed to go for a comfort break as the stats would get damaged. Each year we would have a meeting on the financial implications putting your phone on comfort break and going to toilet to relieve yourself would have, the culture there is absolutely disgusting. I lost my sanity working in that place, whilst I was working there I had to have private mental health coping strategy support. If you lose a family member you must go into work as one of the managers may just end up giving you an ultimatum. Hand on my heart the most horrible place I have worked in. Avoid this place at all costs!
Pros
Nothing good about working here
Cons
Poor management, self driven people, don’t care about you as you are merely a number who can be replaced, no reasonable adjustments provided, not disability friendly
17 July 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It's concerning to hear that you had this experience at DLG. We'd like the opportunity to investigate the points you've raised, if you're happy to do so, please get in touch with the HR team.
A very competitive job. In my 14 years here it became very finance focused. The staff were not treated very well as result. ........'....................
  1. Employee reviews