Direct Line Group
Happiness score is 47 out of 100

Direct Line Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom561 reviews

directlinecentreprogressiontargetdirectpatternroleinsurance

An inclusive company who care about their people

Featured review

Direct Line Group selected this as a representative review
It is in the hardest times that DLG step up and look after their people.Yes it can be hard work and yes it can be busy but knowing DLG have your back means the world.Through COVID and out of the other side DLG understand what differences they can make and strive hard to do so.Great people, great teamwork and great people leaders.

10 August 2022
Great to hear that you feel DLG are supportive, thanks for leaving your review.

boring fast pages

call centre work amending policies selling break down cover/ home insurance - managers don't care about you, can't ask anyone for help very stressful

Insights into Direct Line Group

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging

Been in DLG since the start

No company is perfect, but having been in DLG since we broke away from RBS and became our own entity, I think we are doing well.DLG have been immensely supportive during the pandemic and have just announced early salary increases in January to help with the increased cost of living.We are all having a few IT challenges, which I think is normal in a large company. However, the exec team are keeping us informed of their vision for this. I don't envy the IT teams' job, but hopefully we will one day move away from some of our antiquated systems.

16 August 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Great to hear that you feel the organisation has been supportive through the pandemic and now the cost of living crisis. The ongoing IT transformation programmes will greatly benefit both customers end employees.

Profit over people.

They put profits over people every time. They say they want people to have a good work life balance but then hit you with endless targets.The moment they can offshore your role to save money they will.

16 August 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry to hear that you feel this way as the wellbeing of our people and a good work life balance it is very important to us. Please feel free to reach out to our HR team if you would like to share any further feedback.

Toxic place to work

Job started well, all sounded very positive at interview. Found out later that most of it wasn't true, they can talk the talk but its not actioned. Training is ok to start, aimed at getting you used to a lot of processes. Turns out half what I was told at interview was wrong, including hours, holidays etc. Impossible to get sorted and parameters change every couple of weeks. What you're told by one person is then wrong a week later and you're moaned at. As you go in to your team training becomes more intensive and you see cliques forming. In the end you're left on your own to cope unless your face fits and they decide you're worth the trouble. No help, no support. Huge volume of calls which mean unhappy customers as they're waiting so long.

16 August 2022
We’re really sorry to hear you feel this way about your experience here at Direct Line Group. We strive to provide training and support to enable our people to deliver the very best experience, in an efficient way. Fully remote working is very new to us, and we are constantly evolving this, and we appreciate your feedback. We aim to ensure every single employee feels valued in their role and we’re sorry you didn’t feel this during your time with us, please feel free to reach out to our HR team if you would like to share any further feedback.

Really good place to work

I currently work for DLG and done so for just on 15 years. A lot of changes have occurred over those 15 years, some good and some bad. One thing that’s always remained constant is that the management always want to help and keep staff updated on any developments. Sometimes, too many updates but that’s just my view.All staff work hard and DLG do reward you in your salary.Benefits are great.Annual pay review, not great but who gets a good pay rise these days?? You do often get a one off bonus or free shares. Overall your reward package is a lot better than most places.Not sure why their are so many negative reviews, assume they must be on different departments.

Pros

A lot of good banter, work with good people and the management team are also great.

Cons

None really apart from petty little things which are often due to personal preferences.

3 August 2022
Thanks for leaving such a great review. Great to hear that you have been with us for 15 years!

OK place to work for

Only issues I have Is pay seems to be lower than competitors. People are nice and fair processes are followed for absence etc. Experience and pay don't really match

3 August 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. Reward regularly review our offering to ensure we remain as competitive as possible. Hopefully the recent announcement regarding the support during the current cost of living crisis will be helpful to all our people.

Horrendous place to work

In Doncaster, you are literally a bum on a seat answering constant calls, you are not a valued employee. You are taking call after call after call all day everyday and you will receive multiple messages per day micromanaging you and giving pedantic and contradictory “coaching”. There is not enough staff so you constantly have angry (and rude and abusive) customers complaining about the wait times who then give you low scores which personally affects you and your bonus. There is no off the phone time at all to spend time with your team. The systems are horrendous and never work. They could not care less about mental health and will actively do everything they can to make your health worse and then penalise you for it. When it comes to bereavements, they will tell you that taking time off work will not bring the person back and try to make you stay in work or make you pay the time back on your day off. They will constantly try to force you to do overtime and threaten your end of year grade if you don’t do it.

Pros

50% discounts

16 August 2022
We’re incredibly sorry to see you feel this way about your experience here at Direct Line Group. The nature of the consultant role is to take calls from our customers on a constant basis and on occasion these will be complaints however we do provide full customer experience training on how to handle challenging calls to support you. Wellbeing is of the upmost importance to us as an organisation and we have a number of HR policy’s designed to support people through challenging times, including access to counselling support and mental health first aiders. We strive to ensure every single employee feels valued in their role and we’re sorry you didn’t feel this during your time with us, please feel free to reach out to our HR team if you would like to share any further feedback.

Fun colleagues

the bonus and overtime were great but the targets were hard and alot, must be strong sales person because the role called for alot of objection handling to meet sales targets

3 August 2022
Thanks for leaving your review, best wishes for the future.

I love working at DLG, the can be varied and interesting but few and far between projects. A lot of work is made by networking and word of mouth. Every one is really friendly. There’s a lot of meetings though so you have to be a bit ruthless and choose which ones will add to your bottom line. Working at DLG is mostly remote now. There are several offices and work spaces you can work in if desired. The policy is 2 days a week but it’s not enforced.

3 August 2022
Thanks for leaving your review, great to hear you love working here.

Fun environment hard targets micromanaged

Great at first excellent training but the targets are worst and always getting you off phone as you failed this or that very stressful though excellent benefits

12 July 2022
Thanks for your feedback, sorry that the role wasn't quite right for you.

Relaxed and inclusive job culture

The company has a very relaxed culture, but at the same time you work with really proficient coworkers whom promote your learning journey and they will support your career aspirations as long as you do your part.I greatly enjoyed my time at the company and if the right opportunity arise wouldn't hesitate to return.

Pros

Inclusive, relaxed, invests in their staff, promotes internally first

Cons

Some of the decisions from senior stakeholders can be forced downwards without consultation

12 July 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, great to hear you had such a positive experience. Good luck for the future.

Feedback from peers

It was a good job but could be very stressful as it is fast paced. Most people very helpful, but you do get peer feedback which can be helpful, but the people giving the feedback are not trained how to deliver it, so can create a fairly negative experience. Working remotely and if that is the only communication that day can be demotivating. Very target driven, but you are given support and time to achieve levels required. Good company to work for though.

28 June 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback, it's really helpful and we're glad in general you enjoyed your time with us.

Challenging environment

Was a difficult place to work as was more to do with who you knew not what you knew.Was interesting until so many years completed and then lost its shimmer

Pros

Shopping nearby

Cons

Boring

28 June 2022
Thanks for your feedback, we're always keen to understand what areas we need to improve in.

Productive and engaging work environment

A nice place to work with a good scope for professional development and progression. It has a nice culture, my only downside would be that some managers aren't the best - but not all.

Cons

Management can be a little clique and non-supportive at times

28 June 2022
Thanks for your letting us know your feedback, we're continually looking for ways to improve.

Ok if you are a robot

I would not recommend working here as you are a number. You get very good benefits but that doesn’t outweigh the fact that you are essentially working in a call centre and you cannot leave your desk or stop receiving calls unless you want to get into trouble.

28 June 2022
We're sorry to hear that this job wasn't the right fit for you. Call centre work doesn't suit everyone and we hope you've found something more suitable.

Favouritsm & racism

Shocking place to work . Management takes a liking more to the people they like and no one is treated fairly .. whether that certain types pf personalities or due to race , the dlg cultire is toxic the management are unproffessional ,they treated others dofferently to others but put on thos front to the execs tjats its a gppd sote to work at .no career progression

28 June 2022
Diversity and Inclusion Strategy is really important to us, building a more diverse workforce and creating a more inclusive workplace. Across the business we are working to drive diversity and inclusion. We know there is much more to do, however we're committed to having a workforce that is truly representative of our customers and society. Where we value and respect diverse perspectives, ideas and opinions. And where everyone feels free to be themselves and succeed in their careers.

Great training and support

I enjoyed working helping to deliver a great service to my customersI worked with lovely colleagues the training and support at Direct Line is really good

Pros

Great support from colleagues and management

12 July 2022
Thanks for leaving your review, good to hear you enjoyed your time at DLG.

Great benifits

Great benefits working for the company 50% off home pet and car insurance plus free travel insurance and life assurance. Management are friendly and approachable.

Benefits

Not a good place to work

You can not progress to your career here at all unless your face fits what the managers want and a lot of work has to be done in your own time and not in your contracted hours to have any recognition

No job security

Take you to disciplinary when you’re struggling and need help Iv been handed more work load and less payThey reduced bonus and never got re reviewedThey expect more from usForever taking calls with no meetings anymoreNo chance to growCompany just seems toNot care about customer wait timesNo interaction only when you make a mistake It’s grinding to have to try and go all day with no support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Direct Line Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement