Direct Line Group logo

Direct Line Group Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
Work-life balance
Pay & benefits

Great pay but not worth the stress.

Incredibly stressful as you’re under pressure constantly to meet targets.The pay and benefits are really good and the only thing that keeps you in the job.Everybody gets opportunities to move up and advance within the business however don’t expect to stay there long. I got diagnosed with depression and needed a few weeks off, I came back after not getting paid for my absence and was casted aside and never given an opportunity to do anything again.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Long hours, constantly under pressure, seen as a number and not a human.

OK salary, if you sacrifice your pension.

The salary you get is minimal for the high pressure role you do. You can sacrifice the company pension and they give you about £135.00 a month extra in your salary, which you need to pay bills.YOY increments are not great. You get small ££s but they give you free breakdown cover and travel insurance (no covid cover) and cheaper insurance products which they consider when putting your potential YOY increment and pay rise together.The Exec team sound great, and have a vision but the senior managers in the brands or division micro manage and drip feed communication on a need to know basis.The hardest part of the job is getting someone senior to take ownership. Dealing with difficult and abusive customers is a daily part of the job, and now we are working from home / living at work, the team leaders are work shy and want to pass it to anyone else, or their granny, than take the call.You are meant to get huddles with your team for development and conversation, but they always get pulled due to business being in "red level" all the time and therefore .. no off the phone activity. Stay on the phones. Answer quicker *cracks whip*.The shifts are the worst part of it all.2 days off together, every 14 days! An example would be:Sunday = OffMon - Wed = 1130 - 2000Thursday = OffFri - Sun = 1230 - 2100Mon - Tues = 0700 - 1530Wed = OffThurs - Sat = 0830 - 1700Sun - Mon = OffNo work life balance. It is difficult.To be fair, they are bring in new systems ... but they have been in the pipeline for soooo long competitors still have the advantage. The amount of money spent on more -

Pros

Free breakdown cover.

Cons

Draconian shifts. No development.

Great company

I've really enjoyed working for DLG over the years. You do have to work hard and always think ahead here, you need to take charge of your own development but the company has great learning resources and people who are willing to support you.The culture is great and has been amazing during COVID-19, they have really listened to staff and done all they can to make sure you and your family are OK during these difficult times.

Pros

Great benefits and culture

Didn’t enjoy most of it

Didn’t fit in, didn’t enjoy half of it and the people didn’t really treat me right. Was supposed to be a green flag family and I didn’t feel like I was part of a family at all

Pros

Breaks and lunch’s and salary

Cons

The shift times

Great company to work for

I love working at direct line they do look after you, during covid they have protected wages and bonus working or not. There are great benefits. I feel ive been properly supported during lockdown and as such would go out my way for them. The only downside is pay after being graded as over for the last 2 years they hire people who negotiate their salary coming in meaning you have new starters starting on more money than existing staff which decreases morale and drive within the company.

Pros

Benefits, Brilliant support network

Cons

Pay

7 September 2020
We're so pleased to hear that you feel DLG have supported you and the rest of our colleagues throughout these challenging times. Our people are what makes DLG special and we couldn't do it without them! Thank you very much for your review.

Not great

Never 2 days off at the same time. Every day off feels like a Sunday in comparison to normal jobs. Unrealistc KPI and targets and over priced insurance in most cases for *no reason*. Money is good but the shadow of not having a life hangs over it in my opinion. Do not recommend

Pros

Free coffee/tea, friendly team, money

Cons

No personal life, silly unrealistic targets, pressure from management, no career progression

Overall enjoyable workplace

The salary reflects the role but the people are what make the place. Easy to progress if that's what you're interested in as well. Typical office environment

17 July 2020
Thank you for leaving a review. We completely agree that it's our colleagues that make DLG such a great place to work!

Fun place to work but stressful and management could do better

Loved working at DirectLine Group, however management was a bit meh, could do better with keeping their employees in the loop of what is going on, offer more benefits, or offer a better pay for the job we're doing, as customer based roles are often hard on mental health as well

20 May 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we wish you all the best in the future.

The worst job ever

The poor training starts you off on a less than positive footing. Then comes the awful management. To become one of the appalling 'managers' it seems a prerequisite is unfounded self-aggrandizing arrogance. It would have been to some extent understandable if there was the slightest trace of education or intellect. Unpaid overtime culture and paltry annual salary increases to top up an already pathetic wage make the whole experience intolerable. The only thing I learned from this experience was that It was possible to recruit so many incompetent people in the one workplace.

Pros

Cons

Salary, Management

28 April 2020
Hi there, thank you for leaving your honest review and sorry to hear you've not had a great experience at DLG. We wish you all the best in the future.

Great Employer

A real great place to work where staff are empowered and treated with the utmost respect by management. The working culture is very refreshing where team ethic is so highly regarded by all colleagues.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Few

28 April 2020
Hi! Thank you for leaving your great review and sharing your experience of DLG. :)

Jobs at Direct Line Group

See more jobs

Brilliant company to work for

During my 3 years at Direct Line Group I made amazing friends, worked hard and gained invaluable sales and customer service skills. The company genuinely cares about their employees and their customer

Pros

Salary, family culture, company cares.

Cons

Shifts can feel a little long but regular breaks and meetings break it up

31 March 2020
Great to hear you enjoyed your time at Direct Line Group in Doncaster.

Good people - poor work life balance

Good company with good benefits but poor work life balance. The shifts are long and not fitting with good work life balance. Job security is a constant worry.

Professional workplace

Professional office based insurance work. Well paid entry level positions. Training provided is very good. Lot's of performance targets, but to be expected in a sales role.

Pros

Discounts, Salary

Cons

Targets, Not much advancement

27 February 2020
Thank you for your review. Brilliant to hear that you got a lot out of your training and you're enjoying your time at DLG.

Na

Overall good company however the salary structure in chief customer office is incredibly poor and is well below living standards - the bonus structure does not apply to sales and service staff

5 February 2020
Hello, thank you for leaving your review and sharing your experiences. If you do have any concerns and wish to discuss these further please do reach out to HR.

Great people, poor management

The management cannot be trusted at DLG. They do not look out for their team or have their back and often lie to them. They are constantly making cuts around the business which places everyone at risk of redundancy. For the 6 years I worked there, 3 rounds of redundancies occurred.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Security

5 February 2020
Hi there, thank you for taking the time for leaving your review,

Fun and enjoyable workplace

Great for atmosphere and work environment benefits great pay good too. Only downfall for me is the work and family time is difficult when having a child at school age but this can be changed if needs be.

Pros

pay and benefits

Cons

work life balance not great

5 February 2020
Thank you for leaving your review and great to hear you enjoy the culture here.

Good

Good place to work and great colleagues. Fast paced and keeps you busy. Salary could be a tad bit higher. Management were decent but not always there to interact. Training was the most enjoyable and fun.

31 December 2019
Hiya, thank you for review and for sharing more about your time at Direct Line Group. Great to hear how much you loved the culture and the people :)

You make great friends but the company gives you a lot of responsibility

They pay fairly with the salary and bonus's and it increased every year but they care more about stats and figures than staff. 50% off all insurances is great.

31 December 2019
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave us your review and sharing your experience of your time here so far.

Decent employer

Good staff benefits. If your face fits, you will do well. Salary not really commensurate with job requirements and expectations. They seem to like to promote from within.

4 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review , best wishes for the future.

Good first job in insurance

Direct Line is a good company to start with if youre looking to break into insurance but be mindful of salary. I ended up leaving because they were paying new starts more than they were paying existing members of staff. Unless you want to be a team leader or manager, there really isn't much opportunity for growth here. They are very focused on how many calls are taken and files closed rather than the actual quality of the work you are doing.

4 December 2019
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's good to hear that you thought DLG was a good place to start. Perhaps you may find an opportunity back with us at some time in the future.

Poor Management

In the job 15 yrs and management.decided it was my.turn to.leave. They made my life a misery and I handed my.notice in. However DL was a great place to work, staff amazing, benefits, holidays and its central.

4 December 2019
We're delighted to hear that you thought that DLG was a great place to work, but sorry that you decided to leave. Please contact our HR department if you would like to discuss any issues further. Best wishes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Direct Line Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement