Dishoom

Working at Dishoom: 39 Reviews

United Kingdom39 reviews

busylothardgoodplaceworkingcompanygreat

Fast paced and friendly

Good place to work, but food running can be physically demanding. Lovely colleagues, and very supportive management. Food running is not very stressful.

Pros

Good staff meals

Cons

Double shifts

Fast paced and draining

I wouldn’t recommend working here. Management are unprofessional and clearly have favourites which definitely created a toxic work environment. Hours are ridiculous so there’s no work life balance.

Insights into Dishoom

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Excellent organisation to work

I am very impressed with activities and culture Dishoom has developed in each site and proud to be part of such a organisation.One of the best organisation to work for in U K.

Well Managed, productive workplace

It was a good place to work but it could be hectic at times. In the beginning, it was difficult to keep track of everything and there are lots of steps of service but once you get used to it. it's a really nice place to work.

Pros

Free lunches, a day at a fair

Cons

Long hours, stressful

Not worth your mental health

You will be overworked and underpaid whilst having to deal with rude managers that are neither understanding nor forgiving. The work environment is toxic with almost all employees either complaining about their lack of compensation/hours or being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work. I even witnessed a co-worker have a panic attack which led to paramedics having to be called. Overall the few lovely co-workers are not worth the embarrassment that is management and working under them.

Fun and fast paced

Had a good time working here and the food served is top class. It can get quite busy during lunch and dinner rush which can be rather stressful but it's nothing too bad.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Long hard hours during busy periods.

Way too stressful

Completely overworked, such a stressful environment that even though the pay is decent it's not worth your mental health. Management are very clique-y.

It became a chain

Dishoom used pay well and be fun to work. After COVID the company forgot about their staff, still paying minimum wage and you have to work really hard to get service charge. Besides servers/waiters there’s no point in working there(Managers work 50-55hr per week to get 32k, runners/barbacks work crazy hours and physically exhausted for less than 1700£). Money isn’t good enough compare to others restaurants right now. I rather have a secured base hour pay than getting the minimum wage and hope for the best. It’s all lie about being a family or one of the best companies to work for.

Pros

Free meal, training

Cons

Hours, pay and physically exhausted

A sad, embarrassing experience

I worked in Dishoom for a couple of months, which is a couple of months longer than I should have. The level of incompetence from those in managerial positions is frankly baffling, and for a company who spouts rhetoric about togetherness and treating your fellow worker in the right way, they definitely know how to disrespect and mistreat their employees. While the company pays well, and gives fair enough hours, the pros are far outweighed by the cons, including an often unsafe working environment. Examples of such unsafe occurrences include a malfunctioning glass disposal machine, spouting shards of glass from its top.

Great salary, toxic culture

Dishoom entices you with great benefits & pay but unfortunately does not live up to expectations. The management is the worst management I have experienced in my many years of working in hospitality. You are expected to work many hours over your contracted hours and if you refuse you are seen as letting your team or “family” down as they call it. Rota’s are not in advance. A lot of favouritism and personal relationships which affect professionalism from management. Very poor work/life balance and a toxic culture overall.

Pros

Salary and training.

Cons

Long hours, poor management, lack of support, poor break system, favouritism through all departments.

Ambiente lavorativo stimolante

Una bellissima esperienza al dishoom: ambiente stimolante e possibilità di crescita. Stipendi onesti e puntuali

Pros

Stipendi puntuali, ambiente stimolante

Cons

a volte molto stressante

Manchester

My experience at the Manchester branch was positive, although it wasn't for me. The amount of stairs if you are on bar support or a food runner are insane and it is a daily workout. The pay per hour with the service charge is higher than most of companies offer, but the place is always super busy and you don't really get a moment for yourself for most of the time except of your break so it really is one of the busiest places to be at. There are chances of progression and you also get further training if you ask for it, which is good for those that wanna grow within the company. Additionally the company every two weeks almost has a team outing were for a few hours the drinks/activities are paid which can help if you wanna make mates etc. You also get free coffees and food on your shift and the chef often also share during the shift snacks etc especially if you are in the food running section.The amount of people working on the venue is crazy so it can feel a bit much for a new comer. On the negatives are the long shifts and double shifts, although I had explained due to personal circumstances that these kind of shifts ain't really something I am willing to do and was initially accepted I ended up having double shifts one after the other. Same with any hospitality job the rota ain't helping in the work/life balance of things.

Great benefits

Dishoom has the best benefits in hospitality, great environment and career progression. Great experience and the best staff party's, friendly casual environment is what you can expect whilst being super professional.

Family feel and fab progression

I've loved working at Dishoom. I've never worked anywhere in hospitality where they authentically care so much about your training and development. They really do their best to help you get where you want to go and offer you opportunities regularly to do that. Pay is industry leading, really can't complain about that. Feels like a big family, within a few weeks I felt like I had a huge new group of friends lots of which I'm going to be really good friends with for a long time. Free tasty food on shift and the cafes themselves always have a fab atmosphere. Customers really expect the experience to be amazing so it's a far more positive environment than other places I've worked. Hours can be long and it's very busy which can be draining but you're rewarded really well for the work and if you thrive on that dynamic fast pace you can't find anything better.

Pros

Free food, discounts, family feel, great progression, great pay

Ruined by management.

Terribly managed place to work at from the awful GM to useless/unskilled department managers who got in those positions based on favouritism and friendships - not hard work. If your first language is not English don’t bother to work here because the whole management is. Many foreign people work here and are 100 times better but get nothing. Recruitment has been very bad the overall workplace is collapsing many great team members have left and are leaving and now only having people who have no experience. What a disaster of a place.. (It’s a shame because the company is great to work for)

Pros

Working alongside good team members.

Cons

Management, Management and Management.

A very bad experience

I worked here in Dishoom Manchester for almost 2 years and my experience has been very bad. The management is unbelievable - you really cannot believe the things they do and say in this place. People here work hard to make the company great but get let down by the managers. The bar was good nice bar colleagues and experience to learn skills but I wouldn't suggest this place to my worst enemy if I'm honest.

Pros

Good bar team and good company.

Cons

Very bad managers, alot of games and difficulties from them.

It’s ok

Company systems is very good everything perfect food hygiene standards but under passer to much every chef friendly and helpful l enjoy this place only pay less

Pros

Cons

It Ok

The best place to work in central London

The best working environment Management are super helpful and friendly to the staffs Performance analysis , promotion,wages ingriments are done properly I really miss working as a Dishoom wallah

Work there for only 3 months

Started working at Dishoom at September and I’m already at promoted from runner to expo and I’m aiming Became head expo in the next two months. Also is a great company 19 best to work in the uk last year very good salary Really busy across all restaurants. Great team to work and leader also very goose tips and tronc.

Active, friendly, fair

Dishoom Covent Garden is very friendly, you're always moving and it is a very hard role to be a food runner there as it is always busy, however, it is fair and you get what you put in, and the managers are always so understanding and supportive; you just have to communicate to those around you. I would recommend this role and company to anyone who can handle stressful days and love people and lots of diversity, that is Dishoom.

Good Workplace

I worked at Dishoom as an Apprenticeship Chef for 14 months, working in several sections. Overall i would say my experience was a positive one, the staff were hardworking, friendly and productive. I learned a lot about the industry and gained valuable knowledge through my roles and responsibilities .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dishoom. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Dishoom with

Learn about Dishoom in popular locations

• Dishoom
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?