Disney Store

Disney Store Management reviews

People look at the cast members and think that Disney is an easy place to work. Their wrong there’s a lot of policy’s and procedures and it’s all about how you present yourself. It’s a tough stressful environment but I loved every minute of it. Once your there a while everything become second nature. I highly recommend working for the company their amazing to both staff and guest and would go back in a heart beat. The management where tough and hard to work with at times but your learn to adapt and work together even if there is tears.
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay, lots of benefits
Cons
due to covid restrictions, after three years of working there, the company didn’t want to make any arrangements like unpaid absence
Management cares for no one. Freely demeans employees and shouts in front of customers. A place where new employees are expected to know exactly what to do, and if not are made to feel diminished and depressed.
Pros
Showed me I'm worth more than that job
Cons
Excellent place esp if you have a love of Disney however there is no point in applying if you think this will get you through . Targets are set and are expected to be reached I find this a great challenge . I love the sense of family and that you actually are appreciated by your cast and management , this will also depend on how good they are. Best part is the guests and the products. Workplace is always built on the traditions of the Walt Disney company . Park knowledge is great to have .
This a fast paced and enjoyable environment, management are really friendly and there are opportunities to progress. However, there is a lack of understanding of a job and life balance.
Worked for Disney Store for three years. Typical shifts in the UK are 4 hours unless you’re a lead Cast Member (supervisor) or manager. Goes without saying that you need to be passionate about Disney with a positive attitude even in the stressful times. That’s not always as easy as it looks. There are generous discounts so if you love Disney you’ll be in your element. There are other limited incentives but this is typically in the form of Disney products and never a financial incentive e.g theme park tickets. You do need to care to some degree about selling products because at the end of the day it is a merchandise business looking to make profit through sales. However, if you’re passionate about Disney it isn’t too difficult as the merchandise sells itself really. Very different environment at Christmas due to the footfall in store but that’s normal across retail really. Not a great job to pay bills and have a good quality of life as for the most part contracts are only 8-12 hours unless a manager. This is what lead me to leave in the end as I worked 12 hours across 3 days. It became very time consuming and when you add in travel expenses I was making barely anything. If you’re just looking for a student job or only need part time work to get out of the house it is ideal. It is quite difficult to progress. In my experience I found the company seemingly would rather hire somebody new rather than promote from within. They don’t generally like promoting to management within the same store. If you want to progress in the Disney Store specifically, expect to go to a different store. - more...
They don't give you the training you need, and exaggerate how hard the job is. Whilst the benefits are good, if your face doesn't fit management bully you making it more stressful than it needs to be, to the point of forcing you out. I even had to raise an official complaint with the head office due to my treatment and I know I am not alone. Personally I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. refuse to even set door
You’re not allowed to be yourself in this place. Extremely stressful and one or two people from the management take the mick out of you and treat you unfairly, the people you work with are nice but the pressure some of the management put on you is unfair and unhealthy for your health. You are not allowed any facial piercings , only can have one stud per ear , makeup is not allowed that much and some people from the management are hypocrites as they tell you off for talking to people yet they are having full blown conversations with people they like. At the end of the day they don’t really care about how good you are at the job it’s if they like you or not.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Extremely stressful
In the long term this job isn’t ideal, however it is a fun place to work. Management I found to be extremely poor and it was just above minimum wage however it is a really enjoyable and rewarding job.
Staff are incredibly cliquey, everyone talks about eachother behind their backs which makes for a very toxic and unhealthy environment. This may possibly explain the incredibly high turnover rate along with the following points: One of the managers is an absolute bully and extremely rude and is actively disliked by even the other managers which is never a good sign. This particular manager is quite sexist and is extremely poor with her communication yet wonders why no one understands what she wants to do (often checking her phone and just running off into the back to look at that instead of support staff) Quite a misandric environment (good luck if youre a guy). Very immoral and predatory sales practices. Good luck with getting time off, especially if you have to travel far for Christmas as they will expect you to work Christmas eve and 'oh you can just get the train back late Christmas eve' even if you give them over 7 months heads up about it. Practically forcing you to approach customers and make them uncomfortable (even when they're on the phone or in conversation). Unrealistic standards and expectations, retail is a dying industry yet they expect you to constantly upsell to the point of harassing customers and taking advantage of parents and poorer customers. Extremely unreliable when it comes to overtime, will not respect your flexibility then wonder why you are wanting to leave - If you're a student id avoid at all costs, they claim to be understanding regarding deadlines or needing to study but the minute you say you're unavaliable they suddenly - more...
Beware of people that are two faced and are under management influences. People that were on the old contract seen to disappear slowly only the years. Especially Rambo that was there for 20 years and clear is name.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Disney Store?
I would have enjoyed the job but the management constantly belittled me and accused me of false things. I felt bullied there and dreaded coming in every day, it was like high school and management always talked behind your back and made you feel like nothing at all. I would not recommend working here, I cried most days.
I was working for the Disney Store Norwich and i was made to feel like a nobody. The management team there are extremely unprofessional and 'clicky', making it a horrible environment to be in. I wouldn't touch this place with a barge pole. High turn over of staff and always advertising speaks for itself.
Hires a great team to work with. Great staff and supportive management trains you for great customer service skills a great starter job for anyone in retail
I worked here for almost three years, at first I thought it was amazing but due to a change in management my view is slightly different. Me and many others were effectively bullied out of the store, with many complaining to HR and getting no where. The magic very quickly went away from working here when all of the cast making the magic left
Pros
The pay was okay
Cons
The management team are bullies and get away with it. You're often left alone on stage, whilst they talk on facetime to their partners in the office.
I have been working with Disney for over 2 years now and I have had some truly awful experiences. I have had issues with my mental health and haven't received a great deal of support. I'm on a part-time contract (8 hours) since I'm a student but get given lots of overtime during uni and get forced to work it - you never get asked if you want to do it and aren't allowed to refuse overtime. I worked full-time hours over Christmas whilst sitting exams. I find it very cliquey and my manager has texted other members of staff about me. Overall, management is very unprofessional. I have had many personal digs about my appearance, for example, too. The guidelines on how they want you to look are absolutely ridiculous - 1 earring per ear, which must be of a certain size and colour; no other piercings; no visible tattoos; only natural coloured nail polish; only natural hair colours; hair must be tied back (in case a child grabs it which is pathetic as we work in a SHOP). One of my colleagues was forced to dye her hair since her colour was more red than brown. I'm made to wear a long-sleeve t-shirt under my t-shirt to cover my tattoo, even in 20 degree heat and when our aircon is broken. Although they have these expectations of you, they don't even renew your uniform. My t-shirt had holes in it and the writing had rubbed off before I got a new one, which was only because the design of the t-shirt had changed. I only just got given a 2nd pair of trousers after being there over 2 years after months of asking. They are extremely sales based and expect you to be very pushy which is - more...
Pros
Free park tickets and discounts in store and in parks
Cons
Bad management, high pressure
A typical day would include exceptional customer service, engaging with customers and "sharing magic", ensuring we go the extra mile to make visits to the store exceptional to any other. Management are super friendly and we got along great. Co-workers are also fantatsic, you will form great friendships with your Disney family. Hardest part of the job was either unenthusiastic customers or pressure to meet sale targets, but this can be seen anywhere. Everything else is extremely enjoyable - the environment, co-workers, activities, and enthusiastic customers were all things that made the job so enjoyable. Very good part time work, with options to do further hours if available.
Pros
Amazing benefits within the Walt Disney Company, Positive working environment
I applied for a part time position back in May time after my previous application in March got ignored. I’d looked online previously to see how long to expect to hear something back but I heard nothing and carried on at my other job. I heard back about a month later and had been offered a group interview, and given two days notice to prepare. I think this is quite short notice and comes across as unprofessional, as some people may already have a job and would have had a hard time getting the time off at such short notice to go to the interview. I was also confused as to why I’d been offered an interview as my online application read “No longer in consideration” On the morning of the interview, we were informed that the lady holding the interview that morning was not the woman we were expecting and that she would pass a message on as soon as the recruiting manager had come back from holiday in a couple of days’ time; I’m still waiting for a call back to find out whether or not I have made it to the next stage, but I have also noticed that they have decided to advertise for a third time in the space of 4 months...despite the manager saying we would find out within a week whether or not we would be going through to the next stage. The requirements regarding apparel and uniform is quite extreme and not very good. minimal to no makeup, no lipstick, clear, nude or no nail varnish, nails must be short, no necklaces or second set of piercings, no visible tattoos, no branded basic black or tan shoes, hair must be shoulder length or shorter of you wish to have it loose or you must - more...
Pros
Fun group/team-building exercises
Cons
Unprofessional management
My role as a cast member was ideal to get me through university years. The perks of free park passes and discount were great, management and team were perfect, there is a lot expected of you at times for little extra reward but overall a great job.
Pros
Free park passes, good discounts, free cinema tickets for certain films
Cons
Strict targets, not much opportunity for progression
Good benefits, great hours, friendly staff. Plenty of different tasks within the warehouse making each day different. clean and tidy environment. good management
My time at Disney was filled with not only incredible professional experiences but also wonderful times with great people and characters. Everyone is very supportive and helps whenever it is asked.
Pros
Environment, People, Benefits / Discounts.
Cons
Long hours and management
amazing management. so supportive and the senior cast members were all lovely. great benefits and pay even for a xmas temp. money off holidays to parks in paris, florida etc and even the cruises.
Pros
great management. benefits and great pay. listen to great disney tunes all day
Cons
bratty kids come in store.