Dogs Trust

Dogs Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom109 reviews

trustvolunteerkennelanimalwalkshopstafffriendly

Nice place to work

Overall a nice place to work, friendly team, nice customers, generally enough tasks to do to keep busy, sometimes was abit to quiet and for abit boring during the day

Pros

Friendly team, and customers

Cons

The commute

call center job

"Sink or swim" approach to training. They take a lot for granted and leave you alone on the busiest days with little assistance and structure. I tried my best taking notes and asking questions until I realised it wasn't worth it anymore to clock in every day to endure 8 hours of nonsense with the most unhelpful management I've ever seen. If you don't offer guidance to new starters then why are you hiring in the first place?

Insights into Dogs Trust

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager
  • Energising work tasks

Good place to go to park for the weekend

Very good place to work liked it here friendly team always smiling liked it a lot enjoyable environment yes all in all very good thanks Nothing else to say really

Great job awful management

Great job but management exploit staff and take good members for granted. Most of the staff are dedicated and will work their socks off for little or no praise.

Voluntary Position

I completed a voluntary role for the dogs trust. I met some lovely people and wanted to progress to a full time position. When applying for a permanent role, I found that management weren’t great at providing feedback on how I could improve for future positions.

Great Company

Fantastic caring staff who put dog welfare first. It is so rewarding rehabilitating dogs and finding them suitable homes. Kind, understanding management who care about the needs of the staff aswell as the dogs.Great place to work!

Pros

Helping dogs and nice staff

Cons

Not enough staff on occasional days

Relaxed job with a common purpose

Everyone is working towards the goal of finding dogs their forever homes so it is nice to work alongside people that share your values and visions. Management could be better and communication between departments is lacking.

Pros

Colleagues, relaxed vibe

Cons

Pay could be better, lack of flexibility for some roles

Call centre

Nice that you get to see the dogs every day. Workplace ruined by team leaders who have their own clique. A call centre role where we were advised to lie to customers to get them off the phone.

Dogs Trust should be an organisation you can be proud to work for but this is ruined by management and head office.

It is a shame that you are fed a false narrative of the environment and go into the role with positive expectations only for the stark reality to come crashing down onto you when it is too late. Every member of staff that work closely alongside the dogs (canine carers, training team) puts so much passion into what they do, but it is completely undermined by management and the higher ups. You are not allowed to show emotion or care too deeply about the dogs despite what your job title may imply. Dogs are simply a figure on a spread sheet and an ego boost for management teams and head office.The welfare of the dogs seems to be a lower priority than you would expect, but you will be belittled should you try to raise your concerns surrounding this. Numbers of dogs rehomed is celebrated, whilst ignoring the number of those dogs who get returned due to being sent to unsuitable environments or having their behavioural needs disregarded just so figures can be met. Having a high level of returns has a long term effect on those dogs, but unfortunately there isn’t the staff there to be able to cater to their behavioural progression. This is something that becomes a staff issue rather than a management issue, as naturally management can do no wrong (especially since they don’t even step foot into the kennels or know any of the dogs we have in our care). The burn out from this is next level, so don’t expect to feel accomplished or valued when you go home on a night - but you also need to make sure you can still put your entire soul into what you do each day. The environment is toxic -

Toxic environment cause by abysmal management. Compassion fatigue and burn out are very much a shared experience.

Dogs Trust would be an amazing place to work if management and head office supported their staff.Instead they rely on your compasion for the dogs in your care, using this against you. Staff are worked into the ground mentally and physically - don't let the mental wellness posters fool you. Management and head office are seemingly much more concered with figures on a spreadsheet and kennel to dog ratio, causing over population within the kennels leading to compromised welfare. Due to covid there was an influx of dogs with more complex training demands, yet it's the staff's fault if dogs aren't available for rehoming. There is a dedicated training and behaviour team however, management don't listen to them and often undermine their efforts, which on most occasions is to the detriment of the dog. The management rarely leave the office to provide support to the over worked staff and don't even know a majority of the dogs in "their care" or the daily routine! The days are so poorly organised, management tend to leave it to the staff to "figure it out" . Zero communication if someone is late/ not able to come in causing many staff members running a block with 15+ dogs alone. Or having to split themselves between blocks to aid colleagues. There is no repercussion for poor work or bullying as management tend to shy away from difficult conversations. Your days are dedicated to cleaning, feeding, running the dogs out for a quick 5min walk, frantically mixing dogs to create kennel space as it wouldn't be communicated how many intakes there are, take dogs to new owners/ for meets, -

Pros

Hands on time with dogs and training

Cons

Doing the job of 3 people, Poor communication, Gaslighting from management and head office, Bullying, Compassion fatigue, Little work/life balance

Fun workplace with amazing staff

Great environment that’ll keep you on your toes with achievable targets, you’ll learn something new every day. Management/team leaders are very approachable and supportive. The staff are so welcoming and happy to help with queries. Would definitely recommend working for Dogs Trust.

Pros

Achievable targets, high levels of support, casual dress code, salary, run well

Wouldn’t recommend

Morale in office changed drastically with covid, loads more work but not any extra payNo progression opportunities Micromanaged Do not feel welcome unless you’re part of the team that we’re in the office before covid

Unprofessional management. Lacking empathy.

Management very happy to contravene protocols and compromise canine welfare when it suits. Management develop 'favourites'. Management adopt a laissez faire approach to staff issues. Management presiding over an endemic bullying culture. The rehoming of dogs used as a cover for making lots of people lots of money. A corporate behemoth that has become far too corporate. Dogs great, many staff too. Job great, just dodgy ego driven bosses.

Fast Pace and Well worthy Job.

It is very fast paced, ever changing Job. Not one day is the same. Great friendly rehoming Centre . Very busy Customer wise. The Job is changing Quite a bit. Great company to work for. They do look after you. Very Rewarding job to see the dogs going to a new home . Not for the faint hearted. Lots of tears. Happy tears most of the time .

Volunteering

I only volunteer for Dog Trust, and I don't get paid. However, the staff are friendly and very welcoming as I've got to know them better. A typical day is usually clean the kennels, tidy and clean the dog beds, and clean the walkways in-between; we do that inside, out, and finally, take the dogs out for their morning exercise. I not many of the managers but they are friendly too.

Pros

Lots of dogs, the staff, short hours

Cons

Lots of walking.

Long hours. Expected to remember a lot of information and get pulled up on lots of little things.

There is a lot of information for new starters to take in, for very little benefit in terms of salary or any other extras. Not a great work/life balance, as you work alternative weekends and bank holidays. Despite being a charity it is very business minded and you get micromanaged a lot. The dogs are definitely the highlight and it is nice to have them in the office.

Pros

The dogs, who sometimes come in the office.

Cons

Working alternative weekends.

0 work life balance expected to do the jobs of three people for the salary of one and don't put your welfare or the dogs welfare first

0 work life balance, understanding that animals need 24/7 care is one thing, but to have people working weekdays, night shifts and alternate weekends is unrealistic.You will be expected to do the jobs of three people for the salary of one with no benefits, many staff or potential staff are dog lovers, many with their own dogs and there's no such benefits or work balance to allow for that.They don't put your welfare or the dogs welfare first, just what HQ have said. Ichding, overbooking Kennels with dogs, and as a result creating you more jobs throughout the day whilst reducing the amount of time dogs were spending outside or doing activities during their allotted time.

Pros

The slim, slightest chance to progress in the role, Like 0.001%

Cons

Long hours No work life balance Extremely difficult work, Emotionally taxing, Physically taxing, Competitive

An amazing place to work!

Spending all day with Dogs and staff who share the same values! Highly recommended it to anyone who wants a job with dogs, animals in general or within a charity. The managers are lovely and understanding of any situations. Although it can sometimes be a little stressful on busy days there'd always someone happy to help out, as well as the amazing volunteers.

Pros

Excellent pension scheme, staff members who love dogs too, active job, learn a lot of new skills and information, 3 breaks throughout the day

Cons

Pay could be a bit better

Poor management, untrusting environment

Your confidential information will not be kept private, store manager treats certain volunteers like rubbish and talks behind their backs about personal things. Stay clear and go volunteer elsewhere.

Pros

Cons

Gossip environment, management

If you like dogs...

Rubbish place to work surrounded by rubbish management. Zero opportunities to advance unless you're sweet with management and kiss their behind. The job is not rewarding in the slightest and I had to fight tooth and nail not to blow my brains out. Only pro is the pay and some of the people who work there are sound. Some others, nope. Go. Away.

Pros

Salary

Cons

management, work culture

A job I’ll hold in my heart forever

From day one until the end I can’t think of a time where I truly disliked going into work and the only job I’ve ever enjoyed waking up for.Team there are the best, management were excellent with me and the opportunity to learn and progress personally within the industry is unmatched. Although the job at times can be challenging, the team is always there for you and it’s a real collective. I miss working with the team here but have got a few friends for life out of it and helped some dogs into their long term homes. Highly, highly recommend working for DT wether it’s Manchester or not.

Pros

Team, Management, job role - all faultless

Cons

Emotionally challenging at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dogs Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Dogs Trust with

Learn about Dogs Trust in popular locations

• Dogs Trust
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?