Domestic & General logo

Domestic & General Employee Reviews

2.8
Work-life balance

Getting Worse

Senior management out of touch with day to day job. Unrealistic expectations made even more apparent in lockdown. IT systems that are constantly going wrong and are basically not fit for purpose. Decisions made at senior level that change from day to day and give the general impression of incompetence. Rather than actually dealing with fundamental issues, D&G would rather just throw money into overtime rates and not look at the issues of stress/burnout across the board. Poor recruitment strategy, team leaders who are useless at managing staff and just hide behind reports and process are just a few of the other things that I would advise not joining D&G for. So many of my colleagues and myself are looking for other jobs. The money may be good, but in the long run, it’s more worth it. Steer clear.

Pros

Decent wage

Cons

Everything but the pay

Very Toxic Culture - do not work here

please please please for your own sanity do not work at this company. horrible culture, its a sales role which a lot of the time is not advertised!! not much support and a toxic work environment. A lot of the time customers will be really awful to you and then you're still expected to sell to them.

The good outweighs the bad

I have worked at domestic and general for a few years now. The management and workplace culture is the best I've ever been a part of. I have been supported beyond what a workplace is required. The companies heart is in the right place. Downside is, call centre work is call centre work. Its never going to be great. Sometimes there are decisions by management that seem a little out of touch but you are always able to communicate issues with them. Also it is true this is a sales role primarily and customer service second. Ultimately this job is what you make of it. I have made some amazing friends and the way I have been managed is motivating and empathetic. They do bend over backwards to accommodate you and help you succeed.

Pros

Friendly workplace, excellent management

Cons

Hard work, customers can be rude and difficult

One of the worst jobs I’ve had

I worked here for just over a year, the training seemed fun and made it seem like the job wouldn’t be that bad. Then boom you’re straight onto the floor! If you make 1 mistake you lose half of your bonus, 2 mistakes and it’s all gone, an example of a mistake could be writing ‘fridge freezer, instead of ‘American fridge freezer’ when signing up a new appliance for an insurance plan.The job is advertised as customer service but it’s sales, sales, sales!! You’re forever chasing targets and trying to get angry customers to buy more insurance plans even though the company barely even cares about its current customers. This workplace is toxic, myself and many others spiralled into depression with anxiety from working here. If you value your mental health do not work here, you’ll also having customers talking to you disgustingly all day.

Pros

Cons

Pretty much everything

Stressful and Not the Best Management

Originally was miss sold the job, I was told it would be customer service, but was actually nothing but sales. Sales is always the end goal doesn’t matter how you get the sale but it is expected on every call you make, although it’s always said that it’s not the sale that matters it is. You’re encouraged to push and pressure people and there’s always some form of repercussion for not being as “aggressive with the sale” as they want you to be. Ontop of that the goals and expectations you have to meet are incredibly hard and management is always pushing you to do more, if the goal is 10 sales and you reach it you’ll be asked why you didn’t get 15. Really the only benefit is that pay is good but it’s hard to think of the positives when you’re surrounded by negatives. Hours are long and bathroom breaks are expected not to be taken, anything over 30 seconds coming back is always grounds to be told disciplinary action could be taken. Highly wouldn’t advise working here

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Long hours, lack of support, pressure from management

productive work place

flexible hoursworking in a team was a must, as always queries regarding customers questions. Most of the staff working at Domestic & General have been employed with the company over 10yrs. Staff very knowledgable.Being able to work on different teams & learning new job roles.

Pros

staff discounts on home appliance insurances

Cons

not enough hours as worked part time

If you hate your life, then click apply

I have worked at takeaways, cleaned floors, dishes, toilets and everything bad at £5 an hour, and this job still beats to it. I had high expectations for a multinational business like D&G, but it's the worst. I hit above target on all my weeks, and one petty unintentional error can cost you 50% of YOUR HARD-EARNED SALES MONEY to be lost. And if its 2 mistakes, thats 100% of your bonus of your WHOLE MONTH in the company's pocket. I mean I was brand new not even 2 weeks on job, so anyone is bound to mistakes right, but no not here. I have worked in sales for years, and never has my confidence to sell hit rock bottom like here.You start off with pretty low bonuses anyway about £4.32 per sale. You need to hit about 80 sales a month if not, then the company keeps it leaving you with no commission for the month. So even if you hit 75 sales, you don't get £ for your hard work.I am more happy unemployed than to work at this business. It is so repetitive to the point that you would go crazy and i have a strong mental state so I am being genuine. If you value your mental health over £4.32 then please take care of your mental state don't apply.I have hit way above my target, so sales wasn't a problem but the whole petty rules revolving around the job was. QA are looking to find a petty mistake and mark your call as a fail. If my manager or team is reading this then this isn't an attack to you all, but the company is an absolute he!l

Pros

nothing

Cons

all mentioned above

Awful place to work

The culture at Domestic & General is one of stress and self service. The management do not care about their staff, as long as you are able to answer the phone and make sales they care about nothing else. If you are unable to do that they will quickly get rid of you. You are dispensible to them.

Awful company, my life changed for the better when i left

-lack of interest in your wellbeing, will try to take you through disciplinary actions if you have time off for mental health issues after working there for over 3 years.-incentives are not worth doing-worst management EVER-no job satisfaction -awful HR department -again, no interest in your wellbeing or life outside of work-no development -incompetent leaders

Pros

Located next to subway and costa?

Not supportive

I worked at domestic and general for 11 months before them ending my employment with no notice, saying that I had not passed my probation due to missing sales targets. I received little to no support from management, and then was fired in an 11 minute meeting with two people I had never met before.

Pros

Nothing... pay

Cons

Long hours, angry customers, angry managers

Jobs at Domestic & General

See more jobs

Awfully managed company reflects how bad they treat staff.

I don’t think I have many good words to say about Domestic and General.I personally worked there for 5 years, which is probably one of the only good things I have to say, it was a long term job for me, but not without fighting to stay there that long, I had to “play the game”. Management, most of them are snakes, backstabbers and two faced see you next Tuesdays. There are a few good eggs, but not many. Targets are REDONKULOUS! It’s supposed to be a customer service role, make no mistake it’s SALES SALES SALES! Even when you’re not at work you start flinching cause you subconsciously hear “got any sales, how many sales you got? What you gonna do to get more sales? How many you going to have before lunch? How many more sales are you going to get before the end of your shift!?” OMG it’s relentless! Don’t apply here! Regardless if they pretty good pay ITS NOT WORTH IT! They’re worse than debt collectors seriously!Fellow co workers on your level are sound, you’ll get along, and you’ll notice soon enough all you do is moan about management and the way the company is ran, you’ll wake up wishing I didn’t have to work. DONT APPLY, save yourself!

Pros

Good pay, good benefits.

Cons

Stressful environment, neglectful management.

Just awful

Managers don’t care, they view everyone as dispensable. They also tried to change people’s contracts during the start of the pandemic without telling anyone.

Pros

Money is okay

Cons

Management don’t care

Poor

Customer First, Rubbish. All they think about is STATS, RUBBISH RUBBISH. No Care for well being. Had an accident in the workplace nothing logged even after asking several times nothing done.

Not a bad place to work

Great training course, prepares you well for your role, very supportive junior management on the floor. Need to remember you are there to work and not play!

Pros

Free fruit tea and coffee

Cons

Non

Sales role

Your job is basically to sell..you have to pitch at every opportunity if you dont they get rid of you.customers complain constantly the service and everyday running of the company is absolutely diabolical. You sell you stay. You dont you go. Call centre mentally with over bearing team leaders. I work here because I absolutely have to 7 people on my team are actively looking for employment elsewhere. They target the vulnerable and the old charging them far to much to insure an appliance. When breaks down wait 2 weeks for engineer and then a further week for parts to arrive.Seriously cannot wait to leave.

Pros

Your colleagues

Cons

Toxic environment

Terrible, dirty place to work

Hateful, oppressive environment. Horrible managers act like snakes. No trust, no respect. Desks were never cleaned. Managers never listen, Just pile more pressure to hit targets. Id rather gouge my own eyes out than to work there again!

Avoid

Loved my job loved the customers and the people in my team, as soon as they started you working fromHome there was no support by mangers, they used to disappear for days without telling you. In the office you are constantly under the eye of floor Walkers who have a go at you as soon as you leave. Highly targeted if you don’t hit your target your gone. Whenever something changes it take ages for you to be told then you fail calls for saying the wrong thing and that’s half your bonus gone.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Management are the worst, no support

Shocking place to work

If you don’t value yourself and you want to be degraded and humiliated this is a perfect job for you.If you’re doing this job because you think you’re going to give people good service trust me your not. Its a SALES ROLE.A quick summary of the job, all you will do is transfer transfer transfer to different companies because the customers come through to you via manufacturers on the switch board, and the call quality is absolute shocking you have people coming through to yourself asking for TV remotes for their TV, then your expected to pitch on insurance, and ask about other appliances in the kitchen to cross sell on.If your doing this job to progress in your career then avoid at all cost you will never progress in this company unless you’re a bottom feeder that is the only way to progress and it takes a long time.Also the management is an absolute joke, they do not care about anyone or anything apart from targets targets targets.When you read the job description it’s all a load of rubbish you don’t get any of it, until you pass your six month probation and to pass the 6 month probation it is very very very difficult and they make it very hard for you to pass.

Pros

rota

Cons

reading a sales pitch all day

Okay but improvement needed

I've worked here for a year and the training process was a really enjoyable experience however my training group got 2 weeks of training whereas the standard length is 4. The turnover of staff seems quite high but a lot of this is transferring between departments. There is obvious tension between departments due to disagreements over processes as well as management as they often giving conflicting advice. There are poor reviews left by customers but from my experience a majority of customers do finish their experience happy. Targets are quite high but management are understanding about this if you do struggle.

Pros

Easy Job

Cons

High expectations

Awful

I have worked here for about 2-4 months and hated it. They just want you to sit on the phone all day and if you put the phone on busy for 1 second just to grab a tissue or anything the “supervisor” comes to you straight away to ask why you’re on busy? The job is so repetitive and stressful and the “management” doesn’t have a clue as to what they’re doing. It’s not professional. It’s horrible. There were few people that worked there that were really nice but everyone agreed that it was an awful place to work in! Avoid!!!!

Pros

Cons

Everything!

Corrupt Management

Worked here with no problems until Covid and working from home. Symptoms have issues and seeing as this has a high data protection procedure I found myself having access and inadvertently bei g able to listen to every recorded conversation. I raised this problem on several occasions with management without anything being resolved.... Low and behold because I raised my Concerns I had an accusation made that I was listening to calls I shouldn't be and told could either leave or be sacked.... They dont like a whistle blower here!!!... I obviously left as a small fish in a big pond and needed a clean C. V.

Pros

Cons

Bad managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Domestic & General. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9