Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Reviews: Working at Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

United Kingdom17 reviews

Low pay, long days

Working within the NHS is a job I love, having been here 2 years it's time for me to move on because there is no room for development. Signed up to work here for the pandemic, with a rise in cases it seems its all going backwards and with the NHS removing the covid payments staff will just attend work with covid instead of staying home to protect those who work here. So for me it's time to leave. Many wards have HCA's doing all the work sometimes having 12 patients to support while the nurses just swan about. The overseas juniors / nurses /students don't really get to excel as they are shoved in at the deep end unsupported.Some areas really support their staff others do not.

Different everyday

Fast paced but a good level of job satisfaction. Good level of pay. Friendly colleagues. Able to achieve work/life balance. Would be better if parking was free for staff

Insights into Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

If your face fits, you’re fine!

This organisation seems to focus purely on culture so if you’re in a minority group you’ll be protected. If you’re part of the majority and not in a particular clique then it’s a different story! Sad to say that after working hard here for 20 years I’ve had enough and I’m leaving with no new job lined up. Beware if you’re thinking about joining this NHS Trust.

You have to be in it for the love NOT the money!

The pay is not enough for anyone living locally and unless you can do insane amounts of overtime ita not worth the stress of being anything below management level! The band 2 & 3’s (support workers) are treated like cheap replacements for nurses and midwives with very little support and the staff turnover & sickness is HIGH! It’s become 10x worse since covid and shifts are so short staffed its dangerous. You’re better off becoming a band 1 /cleaner and still getting the same “living wage” pay for a fraction of the stress and not having to be responsible for the lives of people without a degree qualification! The NHS doesn’t give a toss about it’s employees disabilities or mental health so be prepared to be shunned for disclosing anything like this to management!

Let down by management

Worked in several areas within the trust over many years. Same theme across the board... too many managers not enough people putting in the work. Particularly bad in the access department. Otherwise a lovely place to work with excellent colleagues, good pay and good holiday. You get to work somewhere where you do feel like you are helping people and are part of a community.

Pros

Good holiday, good pay, lovely colleagues

Cons

Managers who don’t know the jobs of the people they are managing

Fantastic people

Great people to work for, caring and friendly, Tight knit group of staff who welcome you and make you feel part of the team immediately. Always there to help if you need it.

Wouldn't recommend

Shockingly bad management across the board, worst managers I've ever met. Staff generally friendly but management were disgustingly cruel sometimes in regards to how they treated people.

Dehumanising management.

Cruel and bullying culture. Morale is low amongst staff and stress is high. No recognition of sacrifices staff make, just shaming behaviour and emotional blackmail to do more. The management mantra is... 'does it meet the needs of the service?'.... Everyone is just a number. This is easily the most horrible workplace I have ever encountered.

Over worked and under managed!

Management have no clue what is going on in the department of Medical Records, nor do they care. Staff are treated like idiots. Large scale job losses are planned yet management continuously lie to staff.

Pros

Cons

Treated like second rate citizens

Awful experience NO support or respect from senior management

Terrible environment and senior management are something else, especially CEO. Trust HQ is awash with dreadful people who let this well-established, local hospital down. Do not expect to be treated well by anyone in management, they are shockingly inept at people management and showing any basic respect. It is a ’clicky’ place to work and your face will either fit or it won’t; if it’s the latter, then expect an unpleasant ride. A big shake up is needed here, until people open their eyes, it will just continue....

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Senior management

Awful colleagues

Anyone wanting to work in the clinical coding department should be wary about some of the awful people who work in there, the training was inadequate the manager was constantly elsewhere or using her mobile phone for personal calls and other people in the department were horrible to me and I was forced to leave due to this. you have been warned.

Not supportive and poor communication

I was not treated fairly by dorset county hospital as an RGN. I had personal difficulties they didnt support me or take into consideration. I found them very judgemental and discrimatory.

Pros

Nice decorated and clean

Cons

No support

Great company

Enjoyed working there and great colleagues and it was great to be able to see the changes the hospital made on a daily basis as well being apart of a good change

Hard place to work

Very hard place to work . Worked within the nhs for over 4 years . I was treated with no respect with the management. No understanding when it comes to family issues. Now seeking unfair dismissal. Very poor mangaement..

Pros

Cons

Magagement

Really disapointed

Started work a couple of months ago, wasn't really sure on hours was doing 5 hours a day, didn't have any more then that, waited for a contract for a month and still never got one, colleges are nice but management was terrible, called in sick once and just got hung up on, DIDNT get paid first month which I never got told, as it's 'as and when' you've got to wait 2 months before your paid and they don't tell you that, it financial broke me, had to take a loan out, even then no support with management, all they said is 'did you not read your contract' which I never received, even after emailing the line manger and supervisors never got it! Thought the nsh would of treated the staff better, some of the ward staff and really friendly and others just look down on you because your just a cleaner

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Poor management

friendly environment with hard working and dedicated staff

I have thoroughly enjoyed working for this trust. It has a very supportive and friendly environment. I also feel like my hard work is recognised and contributions are valued. i am also grateful for the fact that my development and progression has been activity encouraged.

Pros

A beautiful area to live and work in

Cons

can be challenging at times to deal with the demands on the service.

Busy office environment

Working in Medical Records in the NHS has its ups and downs and no day is the same. It is a very busy office environment with a lot going on.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust with

Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Reviews by Job Title

Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust reviews by location

Learn about Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in popular locations

• Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?