DSM

Working at DSM in Ames, IA: 3 Reviews

Ames, IA3 reviews

3.1Job security & advancement

Temporary employment that turned in to more of a permanent position

I was employed to DSM Nutritional Products by a temp job agency. I ended up working here for two years though. I was more then a temp. I was trained to do much more than what I was doing originally. Although the pay was okay at the time, the work was hard. It was hard on my body and health because of the hazardous chemicals I had to work with on a daily basis.

Bypasses labor laws

Since I was a contractor rather than an "actual" employee, they "terminated my contact" instead of firing me to get around being liable following an injury that gave me carpal tunnel after running a handheld sewing machine for nearly an entire shift and got stuck throwing 55lb bags for 10-12 hours a day for over a month when we had mandatory overtime (there's supposed to be a weekly rotation) that cause my hand to swell and go almost completely numb (evidently that was part of carpal tunnel, according to a Boone doctor, so he may have actually been a vet), and then I got an infection because of one of the powders matted in my hair and rubbed into my scalp because of my hardhat. If that's not enough to tell you to stay away, to start, you'll be paid the same as a warehouse order picker to work in heavy clothing in constant 85-95 degree conditions with high humidity to keep dust particles down, won't be able to breathe normally because of the PPE provided (but you can buy your own!) is garbage and clogs from the humidity mixing with the powders in the air, experience what it's like having niacin, magnesium oxide, and other powders blown in your face and past your goggles, have orders barked at you not just because your coworkers aren't the brightest, but because you have to have hearing protection on 100% of the time or you WILL go deaf in a matter of days, have to deal with mandatory showers (with obligatory risk of old man balls) at work after your shift though none of the smells will ever wash off completely (my car and pants still reeked 3 months after my contract was cut), -

Pros

Comedy of coworkers spouting political nonsense at lunch then complain about others who do the same, freebies from industrial castoffs like hardboard sheet, pallets, and material drums

Cons

Everything else

Insights into DSM

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

it was a job

filling bins and receiving in raw product. Auto line bagger operations. Filling orders and all steps needed to make finished premix

Pros

being done

Cons

dust

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement
  • DSM
  • Ames, IA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?