DSM

Columbia, MD11 reviews

Insights into DSM

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Work Hard

Every day goals to be met. All attainable goals and needed to ensure facilities were ready on a daily basis with little to no interruption to production and the work force

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Work and Life balance

Cons

Job security

productive fun

It’s a good place to work, the people are nice, the management and co workers are very pleasant. The work itself is very fun and interesting. It feels good knowing you are helping others.

Pros

easy

horrible

never worked around so many miserable people less willing to help. constant blame and condescension. managers grab control allow zero autonomy in order to boost thir perceived worth

Difficult work environment.

I was in a group where there was a lot of favoritism, and if you weren’t part of the group you were pushed into the background. All good opportunities were given to the favorites and their friends. Timelines were stringent, but often there was little feedback or managerial assistance. Speaking up creates more problems than it solves. Management and the company want employee engagement to be positive, but doing the actual work to make it real and change the culture didn’t happen when I was there. Management mistakes are put on the shoulders of employees. The work was very interesting, and the company is committed to making the world a better place through green initiatives, sustainability, and helping to feed the poor. There was a strong commitment to programs for health and wellness.

Pros

Great 401K, on site yoga, and health and wellness perks like free DHA supplements.

Cons

Poor management with no real interest in improving.

fun place to work

unique job, nice people, good pay, Great if you are stay at home mom. They also give snacks after the panel. Every year they have anniversary dinner for employees

Pros

schedule

Cons

not enough hours

Corporate job relocation

While I worked there, DSM was in a time of purchasing multiple smaller companies. Job redundancies were being eliminated, with most of the acquired companies being the ones to lose employees. Corporate employees either needed to transfer to New Jersey, or to Europe.

Pros

remote working

Cons

Not a very diverse corporate culture

Great job culture

I worked in the Physiology department making cell cultures, buffers, GC samples and various other laboratory duties. I learned a lot about sterile techniques and SOPs. The experience was very fun. All of the employees were very kind and helpful.

Administrative professional with over 9 years of experience in faced paced office. Strong interpersonal skills and excellent communicator.

DSM formerly Martek Bioscience company was an a fast paced acquisition. The acquisition took approximately two years. The units I primarily supported before the process was the executive team such as: CEO, CFO, Finance and Board of Directors. Screened calls, scheduled meetings and travel, handled correspondence, created weekly and monthly management reports, expense reimbursements, ordered and tracked supplies logged in the supply requisition management system, prepared meeting material, set up technical equipment and arranged hospitality. Prepare legal documents for execution. Coordinated internal and external communications with admins in Columbia, South Carolina and Boulder offices. Sharing updates on corporate card policy and travel as needed . During the merger I was given the opportunity to provide secretarial support for two additional units; Intellectual Property and Regulatory Affairs. I trained new administrative assistants, first operator for a new pilot for documents and concur management system for the Columbia site. The new programs were SRM and SAP system. The hardest part of my job was watching my entire team being laid off spontaneously and knowing my position would eventually be eliminated after 9 years of dedicated services. It was like a slow death. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with such an awesome group of executives and management. They were approachable and respected my work ethic, which led to my promotion as Senior Administrative Assistant II.

Pros

Quarterly Bonuses, Planning Corporate Events and Hosting Charitable Events

Cons

Working with someone who is reluctant to be a good communicator.

Good people, BAD management

Awful management with NO room to grow. I have been working there for four years, and have not seen ANYONE in my group get promoted regardless of effort, publication, etc. There are false promises to keep people going and keep their hopes up, however, these promises are never fulfilled. Management is POOR to say the least. They micromanage every irrelevant idea, but are nowhere to be found when a real problem arises.

Cons

Micromanagement, lack of respect, false hope

Great Place to Work!

If you are looking for a great work experience where you can learn a lot about food science, marketing, public relations, and consumer engagement, this is the place to work!

Pros

Good pay

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at DSM?

Productive and good work enviroment

Great company, leading the nutritional ingredients market. Good pay, benefits, and work culture.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement