DSM

Working at DSM in Schenectady, NY: 15 Reviews

Schenectady, NY15 reviews

A great place for a start

DSM is a great place to get a head start in life. They offer so much to newcomers and are always looking to help you better yourself. The mangers are super friendly and always willing to help.

Pros

paid time off

Cons

short breaks

Awesome Production Supervisor on 3rd shift

I am a fairly new production operator on the 3rd shift. I was welcomed on board in such a manner that I was super comfortable and felt valued. My supervisor and his assistant are amazing. As a woman in what would be traditionally a masculine type job, I am encouraged to learn and work in any space and perform all tasks. My Supervisor is extremely smart, funny and compassionate. All my coworkers are so friendly and accommodating.

Pros

Really great pay and benefits. Awesome staff and Supervisor.

Cons

Very short 10 minute break and a 30 minute meal break. That’s it.

Insights into DSM

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Bad

This place is bad. All the production manager cares about is certain people and getting work out as fast as possible no matter the outcome. Alot of favoritism!!! She sits on a table chews gum loud and texts on cellphone during meeting. Very professional right??!!

Day at DSM

It was a great place to work only left because I moved to Plattsburgh. The pay and management was great. I worked side by side with Supply Chain and Management. I would enter purchase orders for raw materials. Follow up with suppliers to make sure that the product would be received on time.

Very safe. Clean and friendly.

As a fairly new employee, the coworkers are super friendly and extremely helpful. My supervisors are awesome. The attendance policy is rather strict but I was made aware of that from the start. There is no such thing as "sick time". They allow several unscheduled call in days but hey, let's face it. It's a business. No job allows people to call in repeatedly without consequence. Breaks are too lean (10 minutes and a 30 minute meal break). Its the only place that I've worked that doesnt have (2) 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch. The pay is the best I've ever had at $17.50 per hour. The benefits are also the best I've ever had. I've only come across a few raw materials that have the potential to cause cancer (response to another review) but those are handled carefully in a controlled environment. I mean seriously, margarine causes cancer. To be fair, I started with several new guys who are gone already but they had other opportunities in place prior. My supervisors and boss is awesome and I've never worked in a place that truly put safety before production. DSM is definitely not a place for lazy people.

Pros

Benefits, quarterly bonuses, great pay, fun environment.

Cons

Breaks are wayyyyyy to short.

Discrimination from management/slave drive company.

One of the absolutely worst place i ever worked at before. I will never reccomend anyone to go there or seek employment opportunities from that place especially the Schenectady facility. Very bad management especially from the production team and the production manager discriminate towards the minorities in other words treat them like slaves. Management does not care about production workers. All they want is to produce. the production wor

Terrible

They kinda sell you on the job when you’re in orientation on how great the atmosphere is but once you start working you realize it was a big lie. You even have to document when you use the restroom the senior operators don’t follow GMP rules and at the end of the day it is definitely not worth the hard work and labor you put in.

Pros

Non

Cons

Co-workers/Lunch Breaks/Pay

worst place ever

worked 6 yrs there. over worked, harassed all the time. they make up b.s rules and levels of offenses as they go. mandatory 6 days a week in the summer 2 ppl off for vacation time at a time, every shift is for themselves. u work 8 1/2 hrs because they dont pay for lunch, you get 1 10 minute break. there california plant gets 2 15 min breaks and a paid lunch break. if you love over time and being harassed telling you to work faster and need to produce more go ahead. alot of products there cause cancer. if you call out twice you get deducted on your quaterly bonus wtf does that. says you cant use your sick time. i got fired for b.s thats not even a rule at the company . worst horrible place ever dont work here youl never move up you get less then 50 cents for a raise every yr at this place the most i ever got in 6 yrs was 39 cents for a raise. you can bust your nutz here and you wont move up or ever get promoted.

Pros

Cons

everything

The job is a great job but the plant manager is very racial

Plant manager chooses to make decisions not in benefit or fair to workers and when brought to their attention they target workers to fire them. They have no grace period allotted for punching in, if you punch in one minute after ur time they take a sick day away from you and fire u after. How fair is that?

Poor trust no one

This is for DSM Schenectady NY. Don't trust management or say anything to HR if you havr a problem, they will act as if they defending you, and then throw your case out. Go to work and just do your job. Trust no one, they back stab you real bad. Don't speak up in meetings , never speak for your right, There is no such thing in that company, they will get rid of you. Work you took you drop, no family life, if you talk up, they get rid of you.

Pros

Good benefit

Cons

Trust no one

good working enviroment

Good working enviroment, l like the shift, the pay, benefit, health insurance was good, bonuses, holiday party, customers service,management was excellence

good company to work for

typical day at work would to keep busy and do as many work orders as possible. Handle any situation thats show up. fast pace job also has good benefits co workers are friendly and nice people

productive as always

i have learned that even a typical; day at work can lead to self improving because everyday something new is learned. managing my own room made me have control of every situation that can occur. no matter what you encounter the people around you as co-workers will have a word of advise and those workers helps make the day better.

Pros

good benefits

Cons

the equipment

It's Ok

many layers of people to get through before a project can be completed. Benefits are good but the salary isn't great depending on where you live.

Unorganized management, doesn't fix equipment, no maintenance, no materials to work on a daily basis.

Get assigned a room and partner Produce materials Loading and unloading of blender Use of Scales Hard part of job is impact on your body Stress level is high I enjoy the bonus benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DSM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement
  • DSM
  • Schenectady, NY
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?