DUDLEY METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

DUDLEY METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL Employee Reviews

The general restructure of councils in 2015/16 created a lot of disruption and significant changes including job losses, salary cuts and shortage of resources in all departments and teams. So, working for Dudley MBC at this very difficult time was incredibly stressful and unpleasant at times. Since leaving in 2016, my former colleagues have said the general managers are very good and that the working environment has improved. Whilst there are still ongoing structural changes and other corporate level decisions to redesign some operational functions, there seems to be a much more positive attitude amongst many staff that there may be better things to come, particularly with the opportunities that are going to be available to find jobs working in partnership with all of the new development site companies and contractors who are spending multi-million pound investments in and around the town centre, zoo and museum.
Pros
Most people are down to earth
Cons
Ongoing government pressures to meet difficult deadlines
Getting a job with Dudley MBC is based on who you know and what you know; a closed club. If a rule is to be broken the management will break it. A very. Hostile environment to work in. Eye opener.
Pros
If you know someone you are likely to get the job
Cons
Highly questionable practice.
I was very pleased to get this position partly because of the close proximity to my home and because I was comfortable with the nature of the role having had 12 years of experience in the same role with Sandwell MBC. Unfortunately my short term contract was not extended beyond the 1st of May due to resourcing issues brought about by the uncertainty caused by the Covid epidemic and the uncertainty that has brought to the economy. It was a very pleasant place to work with friendly and helpful people and I would happily go back there should the opportunity arise depending of course on my circumstances at the time.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Not a great hourly rate compared to other similar roles offered by other Local Authorities.
Working for Dudley has been great for my development in my career. The opportunities presented to me helped me to be diverse in my skill set. It is sad to be leaving but unfortunately the contract has ended and i feel that a new challenge is necessary
This was a supportive environment where people were made to feel valued. management was good and fair culture was good flexible development opportunities were offered
I enjoyed working for Dudley mbc.. I worked evenings and some days.. I felt part of a good team.. I felt at ease with my management and only stopped working for them to look after my dsighter
Only 9 months working with the local authority. Good support is offered from peers and management. A variety of training opportunities available and good flexibility to continue professional development.
It was ok at first but there is no managment structure and the managers are incompetent and don't promote progress they promote only people they know in personal settings.
Issues: No capacity support. Senior management do not care. Morale is very low. Attitude of some staff is vile and the mind set across the council is shocking! Staff are generally not happy and overall across teams if they were offered more money to stay they would not! Stress is at a high. Period!
Cons
Empty promises. Cannot Recuit let alone retain staff!
I got to work if a great bunch of year 11 students and some really experienced teaching staff allowing me to progress into what I would late like to have become
not bad place to work nice people get on with the work and communicate. learn new things and and challenge yourself great environment easy to get long with people.
Pros
friendly
Cons
longhours
A typical day at work consists of teaching and caring for adults, running sessions, personal care duties, lunchtime duties all on a daily rota plus administration duties
Dated in their approaches, need to develop better training and support for staff. Not focussed enough on the emotional well being of the service users and the staff.
Pros
pays well
Cons
cuts to services
My time with this employer has been ok. I believe the centre could be better managed as there are too many opportunities for advisors to shy away from work.
Culture needs to change in some areas. Great team on the ground who are helpful and supportive A lot of red tape, so review of policies needed to aid staff in their day to day role.
Pros
flexible working
Cons
Not enough support and training given. Work load is unrealistic. Management do not resolve issues when raised, advised to ask other team memeber for help rather than receiving formal training.
For the short time, I was there the experience I gained from the job allowed me to learn how to do new things I've never done before and gave me a lot of confidence within the workday. The working environment was always nice and there was never a time during the week where I didn't want to be at my work experience placement this ranged from people I had to work with up to those who had who directly managed me. The hardest part of my job was learning to use new equipment which coming from school id never had to use before this hurdle overcame after some instructions/demonstrations. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of being able to make a stressful job for teachers that little bit easier and quicker to do by helping them out with all their small tasks they were able to do more important things which were vital to student success
Pros
Learnt new skills
Cons
Had to stay a little more than I was set down for on a few days
Excellent salary packages , progression available in service delivery Learning and development programmes and apprenticeship scheme Leadership and management training and support
Cons
The site was shut down due to council cuts.It was a good place to work and learn plus a very good work environment also worked all over the borough.i learned out to build different kinds of fencing and gates from scratch then go out and put them up.
Pros
Good working atmosphere
Cons
Job endid too soon
Symbiotic relationship over 40 years, excellent training and provider of opportunities. Caring and open doors Worked across directorates providing health and safety advice to the responsible people with regards to responsibilities and duties under current law. assisting in Risk assessment and safe systems of work advising duty holders for buildings with regards to water hygiene (Legionella), asbestos management and fire risk assessment
Pros
work life balance flexible working
Cons
It was a very enjoyable week as work experience. The staff a kind and very helpful when needed. I would recommend working there as it will be very enjoyable.