Dunelm

Dunelm Employee Reviews

I put down DCO, as you're expected to move around alot between different jobs, as part of your contract. This also affects agency staff, and cannot be refused (disciplinary). Therefore you need to have a flexible approach to your working hours, as your shift pattern can also change; meeting the demand in work. Training is not always on a one-to-one basis, but you get to learn Llops, Ppts, and other Mhe's. Some of the equipment is dated, but you get used to this. Disciplinaries are a bit hit & miss, some are entirely at the manager's discretion; for silly incidents. The others are for time off; three instances of time off in a year leads to a warning; regardless of a doctors note. They increase in severity from there. Good atmosphere in departments, satisfaction at completing a job.
Pros
A discounted canteen. 15% off card that can also be used online.
Cons
Food needs improving. No sick pay for DCOs. Management are always looking for faults.
I enjoyed my time working as a Warehouse Operative for Dunelm. I was situated at Distribution Centre 2 where the management were polite and approachable and my fellow colleagues were friendly and helped me to settle in quickly. There is a good sense of team morale here, although there were some workers who preferred to be on their phones and only leaving jobs half done that let the side down. Unfortunately I had to resign due to personal issues but I would definitely recommend working at Dunelm, the pay is great and the hours are fair.
Pros
Friendly management and colleagues
Cons
Forced to work rotational shifts
Absolutely awful management, zero consideration for the well-being of floor colleges. No life outside of work and non-stop drama amongst staff. Unprofessional and avoid at all costs.
Pros
Hourly pay
Cons
Horrible management, horrible hours
Dunelm dumfries is a fantastic place to work ,friendly staff, and management, relaxed atmosphere, good customer base ,staff team building days and nights out .
Pros
Good benifit package with time working there
Cons
Cant move about, from department on trial
The staff are wonderful! They really support their staff, they’re kind. Get the rota way in advance which is brill!! Highly recommend applying! Easy interview and got the job that day!
Pros
Good pay, Immediate start, Lovely staff
Cons
N/a
It’s good pay for a part time job, however you do get treated unfairly at times and there’s a lot of favouritism.I also was told I was a tills and delivery/stock colleague however was always made to do just delivery/stock and standing outside for 2 hours at a time no matter if it’s snowing, raining, or freezing temperatures in winter, and not even allowed to warm up for 15 minutes after that.
Pros
Good pay for a part time job
Cons
Treated unfairly, favouritism, have to stand outside for 2 hours each shift
The store manager, assistant manager and a few supervisors were cliques, very rude and dismissive. created a negative atmosphere most of the time. Don't bother asking for support or help with and issues as they will just ignore you.
Pros
Friendly team
Cons
Poor management
Worked for this company in a management position, the work/life balance is none existent and if you query this you are made to feel as if your a slacker. The manager was lazy and spent a lot of time when things went wrong blaming everyone else and shouting rather than trying to work out the reasons why. Money comes first with this company NOT the staff.
Pros
Most colleagues
Cons
Hours, pay, culture
Love to work there. Great people, great atmosphere. Easy to learn new things. Everyone fully helpful and understanding. Flexible hours. Will be pleasure to work there in future.
Really bad place to work. Delivery’s small, really boring at times, the customers are awful and treat you like a personal shopper. Some nice colleagues but some downright weird, suck up to management types here. Don’t apply if you have any kind of life at all, you will work silly set hours and a set weekend day EVERY week which you do not dare ask to change. You will be expected to use a weeks holiday if you just dare to need a couple of days off for some reason so if you like the odd weekend away you will find your annual leave eaten right up. Half of the staff are related/friends before work so the cliques and b!tching between staff especially management are ridiculous. They advertise a birthday day, yes you will get it if you can be bothered to keep asking, I got mine three months later. Wages often short too. Seen some behaviour from management towards young colleagues which can only be described as bullying. Horrible place to work, I would not advise applying here at all.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
No life at all, horrible environment, boring work
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Dunelm?
Work was ok apart from the people that have been there a while thinking they can treat and speak to u like dirt. These people are not even management but some how think they can have a say in what u do.
My first ever job was at Dunelm in the customer service centre. I was extremely thankful for the opportunity since I had no previous work experience. However, after starting, I quickly realised why they offered me the job - turn over was massive! Losing staff quicker than they can hire them. They’re not bothered about who you are or what you do, you’re just a number at the end of the day. My mental health started to rapidly deteriorate. Considering I hadn’t had full training, I was expected to take phone calls I had no idea about and had no clue on how to solve the customers issues. I relied on the kind folks sat next to me to help me out on the call. Sometimes you’d get extremely verbally abusive customers (that’s a given I suppose) but management wouldn’t help you out with them. There were a few occasions where I physically couldn’t do anymore for the customer and my team manager refused to take the call because they couldn’t be arsed. They’d tell me to tell the customer they’d call them back but never would. Everything was resolved using gift vouchers, I’m not sure how the company is still making money. Everything was monitored... even how long it takes you to have a wee. If you take too long, you had someone on your back asking why. It was just too much. Rightfully so, my anxiety got out of control. I was having frequent panic attacks at work and was having to go to the bathroom multiple times throughout the day due to this. Except the managers didn’t care, all they were arsed about was why you’d only taken 40 calls that day instead of 50, and how if I cut my toilet breaks - more...
Pros
It’s a job/experience
Cons
Everything else
When your ill they don't care special when your asthma is starting and all they want you on then phones and give you 5 mins to sort the customer problem out and when you go over they start sending you messagess
Pros
Free water
Cons
Too many mangers
Been at Dunelm as an engineer for nearly 18 months now. Since day one I've been non-stop learning. You can really make an impact here and it shows.Theres so much to be doing plus as we are nearly completely serverless there's that extra challenge of pioneering solutions in serverless at scale.Fantastic for the cv, in a forward thinking company which cares about its employees. The pay could be a lot more transparent and from a HR POV there could be more support in London but for the most part the company is fantastic. Really enjoying it.
Pros
flexible working, rarely have deadlines, empowered to the max, pioneering tech, fantastic leadership
Cons
in a transition toward a tech company so some stuff to learn, pay could be more transparent
All retail has its ups and downs. It can be hard work and some days won't be enjoyable. That's retail! Dunelm is a fair and flexible place to workWe have a close, supportive team in the store I work in.You get out what you put in, work hard, do your bit and be flexible when you can and you get the same back. Been here 9 ish years and wouldn't want to be anywhere else in retail.
Pros
Close team. Discount. Rotas 3 weeks in advance
Friendly Supportive Exciting working environment working place Working as team Happy asthma sphere Get help and support always You get treated equally as part of the teamMost happy working place
Pros
Unpaid lunch hours
Cons
4 hours shift
I currently work at dunelm and I love it. the support you get and the family like team is just everything you would want in a retail job. We are a family and a bunch of friends
I worked unbelievably hard for this company for 4 years & my time there had degraded my sense with quality of life to the point where I felt like my soul had been sucked up til there was nothing left.Multi-tasking is an understatement, you have to do EVERYTHING even if it’s not in your contract. This is a seriously exhausting place to work at with a very strict 30 minute break, the “competitive hourly rate” is still not worth it.They want you to be “sociable” but you’re not allowed to be seen having a conversation with a colleague unless it’s at lunch, even if it’s work related, you get berated for doing so. I worked SO hard for a promotion & certainly deserved it but it was like a full-on marathon with constant hurdles along the way.I had to leave with immediate effect as did 5-10 people around the same time for the same reasons (fearing our mental & physical health).If you want your back broken, to be taken advantage of, being blatantly bullied by both team leaders & management - this is the job for you.I have witnessed racism & discrimination between a store manager & a manager with my own eyes; many face to face physical conflicts with shop-lifters & without any kind of security (gates are always broken) or guards, their only way to battle this is to design the shop into a maze in order to make it harder for everyone to move around - this doesn’t stop someone physically hurting a employee, I have seen a 16 year old boy take 2 weeks off work due to an injury & a heavily pregnant lady being told to confront a shoplifter.Lastly, too many people were leaving for better - more...
Pros
Cannot think of a single pro.
Cons
Corruption from Team Leader level to Area Management.
poor company to work for, they believe in the customer is all ways right, if you happen to occur an in work injury they will deny responsibility,management itself is 1 of the worse, threats of being fired due to managements own poor performance, preferential treatment to favourites aka no late nights, more time off than any 1 else
Pros
Cons
long hours, preferential treatement, favouritism
By far the best job I have ever had, management are amazing and everyone makes you feel as if you belong! You learn loads of different jobs in store so you aren’t repeatedly doing the same job 24/7 and it doesn’t get boring.
Pros
Cons
Probation period length
I worked at dunelm for a few years and honestly I am so glad I left when I could . The work life balance is non existent. The list goes on. Staff are treated unfairly and cannot count the number of times myself or other colleagues have left in tears. Nothing changes. Should of listened to family friends telling me not to work there because of previous experiences.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Too many to count
  1. Employee reviews